What's new

Next SNL Release (1 Viewer)

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
Has anybody heard,or read,any rumblings as to when the next SNL set will be released,and which season it will be?I hope they resume the two releases a year schedule (one in May and the other in December) like they did in 2008,and that one of them is the 1980-81 season.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I totally agree. They need to keep going in chronological order. But we've been over all this before. The fact that the next 5 seasons had nothing to do with Lorne Michaels leaves one hell of a question mark, especially the '80-'81 season which was frowned upon by most. Be that as it may, I say release them all! The early 80's had great sketches that should not be overlooked......most featuring Eddie Murphy. Not entirely sure how you'd market the '80-'81 season though. Murphy was only a featured player at the time. The one thing it may have going for it is the fact that the season was very short and could be sold for cheaper than the previous sets. Whatever the case, I hope they continue these because I would love to collect them up until the end of the Sandler/Farley era. I stopped watching the show when Will Ferrell (et al) joined the cast.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
It is looking more and more unlikely that the non-Lorne seasons will be released.
From what I have heard, Lorne plans to jump ahead to the Will Ferrell years next (presumably 95-96, which was Will's first season on the show).
Well there's no way the second part of the post above will survive.

However, I will not be buying unless they continue to release chronologically, or if they must skip the Ebersol years, start releasing the show starting when Lorne returned.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by BrianJau

It is looking more and more unlikely that the non-Lorne seasons will be released.
From what I have heard, Lorne plans to jump ahead to the Will Ferrell years next (presumably 95-96, which was Will's first season on the show).
Well, if this is true it will be a mistake. Skipping the awesome music acts, SNL talent, and hosts of the 80's makes about as much sense as driving a car into a brick wall.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
One post has been removed for promoting bootlegs. Do not re-post. More severe measures might follow, in that case.
Please consult our rules.

Thanks for understanding.

Cees

Alex cosmo

Stunt Coordinator
Since the show is on 80s videotape, I wonder how many hours could they cram onto a blu-ray set?

BrianJau

Agent
Well, I'm not exactly sure why my post was removed, considering we're talking about something that will probably never be released commercially, but sorry.

But anyway, my point was don't expect "The Complete 6th Season" any time soon (or probably ever).

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
Why would Lorne Michaels and Universal want to skip over the John Lovitz,Phil Hartman,Dana Carvey years?That era is often referred to as the "second golden age of SNL" and some of the shows equalled,if not surpassed,the ratings of shows with the original cast.Getting the seasons with those guys would take some of the edge off the disappointment of not getting the Eddie Murphy seasons.As I said,in another thread,if the Will Ferrell(or Sandler) seasons are released next I stop buying SNL sets.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Stephen Wight

Why would Lorne Michaels and Universal want to skip over the John Lovitz,Phil Hartman,Dana Carvey years?
They probably want to get the Will Ferrell era out there because he's currently more popular. I'd guess that they plan on going back and releasing the Phil Hartman years or some of the Eddie Murphy years at some point after they put out more current seasons or seasons with cast members that are currently the most famous.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
They should just release two a year (if possible). One from the 80s and one from the Ferrell years. That way everyone's happy.

I actually think the Ebersol years would do pretty well on DVD. Those seasons may not have been as "smart" as when Lorne was in charge, but I think the humor is probably more generally accessable. I admit that there are plenty of sketches in the first five seasons that I'm somewhat confused by because I'm too young to have "been there" And of course you have Eddie Murphy (and to a lesser extent, Joe Piscopo) to market the releases around. There's also the "All Star" season which is still regarded as one of the strongest in the show's history. As far as the Doumanian season......well....that's a bit more of a challenge. Here's an idea, since that was a short season, why not put a few episodes from that season on future releases a bonus features.

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
Originally Posted by TravisR ">[/url]

They probably want to get the Will Ferrell era out there because he's currently more popular. I'd guess that they plan on going back and releasing the Phil Hartman years or some of the Eddie Murphy years at some point after they put out more current seasons or seasons with cast members that are currently the most famous.[/QUOTE]With the rate they're going,I'll probably be dead by the time they go back and release the Murphy and Hartman years.The kiddies should have to wait for the Ferrell era to be released on DVD.

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by [b]WillG[/b] [url=/forum/thread/297559/next-snl-release#post_3657879]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks