What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Randy Korstick said:
Gilligan is owned by WA so that will eventually come out. There are 2 potential problems with most of the other Filmation/HB TV show cartoon remakes: 1.) there maybe clearance issues and 2.) most are owned by other studios and those studios are not releasing old Cartoon TV shows on DVD; Jeannie, Partridge Family both owned by Sony, Brady Kids owned by Paramount etc.
Hi Randy, Paramount could have released Jeannie, Brady Kids, etc when they did the completed sets a few years ago. In many cases they released a few episodes, but not the whole series. So, i have to wonder what their logic was with those sets. Was it to tease people?

Since we are seeing releases again for many shows it has me thinking that paramount making be taking a different approach to dvds. I just not sure why paramount does not go the WBA route as way to make more of their vault available to people.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I think the episode or two added to the season sets were just bonus materials. Warner seems to be the only big studio that has confidence that a completed series release on an cartoon show will sell. But Warner still sent most of their animated shows to Warner Archive after several retail releases .

Mark Y

Screenwriter
younger1968 said:
Hi Randy, Paramount could have released Jeannie, Brady Kids, etc when they did the completed sets a few years ago. In many cases they released a few episodes, but not the whole series. So, i have to wonder what their logic was with those sets. Was it to tease people?

Since we are seeing releases again for many shows it has me thinking that paramount making be taking a different approach to dvds. I just not sure why paramount does not go the WBA route as way to make more of their vault available to people.
I suspect The Brady Kids would have been released a long time ago, but for the occasional cameo appearances of DC superhero characters.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
derosa said:
i'm waiting to watch my Godzilla Season One set until i can pair up the episodes
as they aired in 1978 with Jana of the Jungle, on "the Godzilla Power Hour".
It would be nice to have a LITTLE more Godzilla in season-box Archive form, rather than the three or four sampler disks still lingering on Netflix. (Yes, even though it's the series where HB licensed the character but not the Toho roar, and had to have just Ted Cassidy going "Rawr!")

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
What's even the status of that show. Wikipedia seems to indicate it changed distributor hands in 2012 but all three of those volumes seem OOP. Since Amazon isn't selling any of them new beyond 3rd parties.

I remember watching it on tv before, but i never bothered trying to get the DVDs, but i wonder if it's heading to a re-release plan to conicide with the latest movie? Either way it wouldn't be coming Archive way given that it's not Warner's product. If Wiki is accurate it's Dreamworks owned now.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
MattPriceTime said:
What's even the status of that show... but all three of those volumes seem OOP.
Godzilla has been OOP for a few years at least now. I bought each of the 3 volumes when
they were released in 2006 and 2007. There are 4 episodes on each of the first two discs,
and volume 3 has the 5 that total up the13 episodes that make up Season 1 from 1978.

There are 13 unreleased episodes from the 1979 season, also aired on NBC. If they ever
make their way to DVD, my wish would be to have the "New Fred and Barney Show" episodes
and watch them together.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/shownews/Godzilla-Power-Hour/5434

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_and_Barney_Meet_the_Thing

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
It seems they picked up more of Volume 1 since yesterday. But Volume 2 on the actual page says it's a 3rd party only on that one two just fulfilled by Amazon. However i wonder if something will emerge for it around the time they release the movie next year. It would be perfect time for a cash in on it....unless Warner tries to buy rights back to it so they can do it themselves. Which then it probably be a guarantee it be re-released on it, but i don't really know how likely that would be.

Honestly though someone may want to ask them about it on facebook, given that they know the HB properties do well and WB is making the new one, i'd say that's a fair thing to ask if they are aware of any acquisition plans. They had it at one point, maybe it's not beyond hope they could one day get it back?

Although this discussion has made me flashback and make me considering grabbing those three volumes up in case that's all there ever is released. Which given it's not a WB-owned one could be a reality.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Unbelievably annoying that only the first season got released. I have a feeling the rights might be different or soemthing like that...I bet it's Toho that is the holdup.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Nebiroth said:
I have a feeling the rights might be different or soemthing like that...I bet it's Toho that is the holdup.
I don't know why the second season hasn't seen a dvd release,
but also, only season 1 is on Hulu and Netflix, so it does make you
wonder if the second season has an issue.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
There's something more going on with this whole picture, so if Hanna Barbera and Toho had it made in association with one another, CN and Boomerang aired the whole thing for years.

But when the DVDs comes out it's only the first season and through Timeless and not Hanna Barbera's current owner WB. But Timeless being bought out by Dreamworks should make those rights transfer, but still no second season. And as you said they've kept the digital versions up but nothing for season 2.

So would we think Toho got to keep home media distribution for both and licensed it to Timeless who is now sitting on it? Or was it WB that let it go Timeless before they realized that HB had infinite Archive potential? is it possible they actually split the seasons up as part of the distribution deal?

There really is a lack of information on this one to really not be sure either way. Just looking content wise anybody know if there may have been something that would be causing problems for home media?

EDIT: So i did a little more digging, from someone on an old Toonzone post they say that Toho on purpose only licensed Season 1 to Classic Media, and since they are OOP that agreement may not even still be standing, So hope on the rest would fall on Toho most likely.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I broke down and picked up Amazing chan and the clan chan along with inch high private eye. I hope to picked up the hair bear bunch and/or HB shows next year!!

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
My box from DeepDiscount arrived today, I "caved in" and ordered some WAC sets on sale:

Flintstones Prime Time specials vol. 1 and 2
Thundarr the Barbarian
Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
and of course...
Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels.

now i've got to get busy watching!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
It has been quiet from WB archive on the next planned release for HB. I purchased the inch high detective and amazing chan and the chan clan sets. I do not remember seeing the aforementioned sets as a kid, so I have been pleasantly surprised with those shows.

I am wondering if the clue club is the next set. The clue club was listed on one of the HB surverys as such it had me thinking it may be in the pipeline.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I'll be ordering several HB Titles this December. Right now I'm scrounging money so i can visit some relatives this Thanksgiving, until I reach my goal I can FUGGADABOUDT getting any box sets. :biggrin:

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
younger1968 said:
I am wondering if the clue club is the next set. The clue club was listed on one of the HB surverys as such it had me thinking it may be in the pipeline.
That would be great, i want to see Clue Club on DVD, it's been quite a while since
those surveys, i hope we hear something soon.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I am wondering if there are issues with Wait Till Your Father Gets Home as the show had guest stars like Phyllis Diller, Joe E Ross, Rich Little, etc. I know Scooby-doo did not released the Phyllis Diller episodes, so it had me thinkiing if this may also be the issue for Wait Till Your Father Gets Home!

It has been very quiet on HB front with no news on the next release.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
And it's a bit strange they announced the Space Stars DVD at comic-con almost
2 months ago, and it's still without a release date.
younger1968 said:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Space Stars should be the next release. They stated they ran into more problems than expected to release the complete show with all the connectors. Should be completed soon and worth the wait. Clue Club was stated as being worked on soon at the beginning of the year so I wouldn't be surprised to see it before the end of the year.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
younger1968 said:
I am wondering if there are issues with Wait Till Your Father Gets Home as the show had guest stars like Phyllis Diller, Joe E Ross, Rich Little, etc. I know Scooby-doo did not released the Phyllis Diller episodes, so it had me thinkiing if this may also be the issue for Wait Till Your Father Gets Home!

My guess is that the lack of inclusion of Ms. Diller on the Best of the NSDMs had to do more with space constraints than rights issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks