Next Hanna-Barbera set?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Matthew Green, Oct 6, 2004.

1. MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime Second Unit

Matthew Price
    As i posted above one of the two other Scooby sets they green-lighted but have yet to announce is called "Scooby Doo Goal" it's a sport themed set or another laff-a-lympic set. Which where it is, it makes far too much sense for them to have the eight not to DVD episodes with the four double dips not on Spooky Games and the new feature.

However it is also possible the set is just sports themed. But either way we should be expecting it to be announced for olympic time. And we do know that WHV press releases are up to November now. So we are getting closer to seeing what they chose to do.

I personally think they decided to drop the volumes of LAL since two sets with a new feature probably are going to sell better than volumes with four episodes each. And if the theory of them using the stalled releases as a way to build capital on casual buys to fix the issues then it would flow better.

I came to that idea because especially when the podcast had said WA got Captain Caveman because he was orphaned, so clearly WHV still has some plans to deal with the season sets (since the if Cavey was the only orphaned there must be plans for the other parts). Since WHV could release the 25 episode set with many shows they sent their season set forms to WA. So the idea that some of the Scoobys have rights issues, the idea they are drawing funds together on them and planning to slowly give the collectors a wink doesn't sound far-fetched. Especially given Spooky Games and TOm and Jerry kids season 1 came out of nowhere, i feel there's a method underneath what we once thought was confusing.

The Laff-a-lympics always were a draw for fans, so i assume they went with that one as their wink for Scooby at first. And i think we'll see another one announced for the olympic season. Also on the smurf side do notice most of the random smurf sets are usually just using season 1 and 2. WA told us the smurfs masters were a mess, so maybe the retail releases are using only what's good to go to draw more funds for fixing up the whole thing for eventual season sets.

2. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

The "Angels" on that Casper show were more of a Laverne and Shirley knock-off. But, oh yes...shocked! I was SHOCKED!!

3. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    Thanks for the heads-up guys on LAL. Appreciate it and keep me posted on Jetsons S3 as well in hopes that we get this sometime next year.

4. Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth Supporting Actor

5. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

A Quick review on Captain Caveman:
    The remastering Job on Captain Caveman was very good. It looks very clean without most of the usual blemishes. Its on Pressed discs for those who care about that.

6. derosa

derosa Supporting Actor

Grant
    Thanks Randy, for the update. For us 'out of the USA' residents,
    I saw that it can be pre-ordered from deepdiscount.com, and it
    has a mid Aug. delivery.

The set is also on Amazon.com now, but the price with shipping
    to Canada was way cheaper at Deepdiscount,
    I've waited this long, I can wait another couple of weeks!

7. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
  8. Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth Supporting Actor

I own this movie already from a Mexican DVD release that I purchased on eBay. There is an English soundtrack on the disc (Ingles is Spanish for English). They did a good job trying to match the original voices but it's just not the same. I wish I could have seen it in 3-D because this film would be fun to watch in that format. It's obvious by how the scenes play out that the 3-D version would have been awesome.

As a movie, it's all right. It's not the greatest in the world and it's not the worst either. I think I prefer TOP CAT AND THE BEVERLY HILLS CATS more but I'm glad T.C. got a theatrical film. The opening scene is absolutely wonderful because they re-created the original opening credits in an elongated fashion. They used the original TV show theme song for the opening titles, too.

9. younger1968

younger1968 Cinematographer

paul young
    I picked up Captain Caveman today as i was a fan of the show as a kid. I also plan to pick up Charlie Chan set as well as other sets when they come down in price. The sets are too expensive for me to buy now.

I am also very disappointed that the sets released by warner brothers are not available in Canada.

10. younger1968

paul young
    I watched a few episodes of Captain Caveman and notice the laff lympics ending shows up at end of a few episodes.

11. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    Has anyone mentioned the transfers of the Super Friends season 5 episodes? Looks like VHS to me, complete with a ghost line down the left side of the screen, about two inches from the edge. The credits in particular look shabby - reminds me of the DC Filmation collection from several years back; those credit sequences were terrible, although the episodes themselves looked good, certainly better than this batch of SF season 5.

12. MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime Second Unit

Matthew Price
    Today on fb they said Space Stars is still coming soon but appears a little later than they probably originally expected. Which seems to make sense because it seems they may have rearranged their schedule a bit, since a couple things have hastily appeared for disappeared from the pre-orders as of late, i get the feeling they flipped a few things around at the last minute as to what was coming each week.

Nothing new dropped by way of new hints but seems their work on Clue Club and Go-bots moves on.

Also on a non-HB note but i think this comment is more apporpriate here than in the main WA thread, apparently Rankin Bass's Tigersharks has cleareance issues....is this the reason why it never got aired on CN in the 90s? I remember devoutly watching Thundercats and Silverhawks re-runs but i had no idea till later their was a third show like it till i was older. I'm curious if anyone knows what issue their might be there.

13. younger1968

paul young
    Matt Price, I will jumped for joy when Banana Splits or New Advenutres of Gilligan or Devlin or these our the days or Jeannie or Partridge Family 2200AD are released.

14. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

EricJ
    I don't remember RB's Tigersharks ever being syndicated in its own half-hour format--
    It was originally aired as part of "The Comic Strip", a show of rotating 15-minute segments, and was the only action series of the bunch. (Doing half-hour episodes in two parts.)
    Like Warner wondering how to divvy up the Banana Splits series, it's likely they can't air the one show without having to air the other shows it came with, in the "original" episode form..

15. derosa

derosa Supporting Actor

Grant
    I agree the video quality doesn't look fantastic, especially the credits.
    But i'm still very happy to have the set, and looking forward to the rest
    of the series releasing next month.

16. JMFabianoRPL

JMFabianoRPL Stunt Coordinator

As they originally were, as part of that block. I haven't got the set yet do the end credits reference LAL in any way outside of the staff and actors?

17. derosa

derosa Supporting Actor

Grant
    I forgot to mention, for those without a Target store near by,
    it was announced that the 1979 "World's Greatest Superfiends" set
    (so far only available exclusively at Target brick and mortar stores)
    will be going to wide release on Nov. 12.

I almost ordered it from the Amazon marketplace last week for about $35,
    with shipping to Canada, so i'm glad to have decided to wait. And for those
    in Canada interested in Captain Caveman, Deepdisount.com is now shipping it.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Worlds-Greatest-Superfriends-Season-4/18828

18. younger1968

paul young
    I have used deep discount before and was not impressed with either their cost and/or delivery time. If the next release is clue club then it will wait until next year. I am scaling back my purchases until next year due to other spending commitments.

I still think that HB is moving to slow on releases. We are August 10, 2013 now and that means some of these cartoons are now approaching 40-50 years old. If you do the math then it means people are now 43 to 60 years old now. Yes, cartoons never seem to leave us, but you have to wonder if the dvd market will support these stagger releases.

19. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    Actually, Deep Discount offers some pretty good deals on Warner Archive HB titles from time to time. I purchased Chan Clan from them shortly after it was announced for less than $17.

20. younger1968

paul young
    Hi Joe, Thanks for your post! I monitor amazon.com/amazon.ca/deep discount or other sites when it comes to my purchases. If i get a good deal then i will buy from that site. I am more concern with amazon.ca and the lack of effort to fix their processes to enable more archive releases from WB. The problem has been going on for the better part of 3 years!