What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
There's a history of alot of multi-season TV shows not being completed or taking along time to be completed but very few H-B since the majority are released as complete sets so it sounded as though you were referring to TV shows in general which is why I wondered why it was in a H-B thread thats all, no offense intended.

Originally Posted by derosa
I thought my previous posts were pretty clear. It applies because the new MOD Mr. T set is being split into season sets,
and there is a history of the multi season sets not being completed, or taking very long to complete on DVD.

As has been discussed before, the MOD is not many people's first choice of format, but the trade off being at least
the series are being released, for the most part complete. Season sets on MOD just adds a new wrinkle, that's all.
Sorry if you don't think it's a proper part of the HB MOD discussion.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Originally Posted by Randy Korstick
the majority are released as complete sets
Which is the reason why I was pointing out that Mr. T is only season 1.

At this point in time, I'm skeptical of any non-complete set ever being completed.
I'll believe it when i see it. When Superfriends, all the segments of Laff-a-Lympics,
and some of my other favs are done then i'll cut the studios some slack :)

Aaron Handy III

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Handy III
TV Land Super Retrovision Saturdaze. They went as far as the entire first season and the first 2 episodes from the second season, and that was that.

Originally Posted by Gary OS
1) The Harlem Globetrotters - Not the goofy "Super-Globetrotters" stuff, but the original series. I believe HB doesn't own these any more. These haven't ever played on CN or Boomerang and all I have are from TVLand and I don't believe they even ran the entire series.

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
Warner Archive now has THE HERCULOIDS Complete Series up for pre-order, with a June 14 release date.

Mr. Papagiorgio

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not a fan of Mr. T being split up by seasons. They released a 25 episode Swat Kats set and some other shows in the 20 count range, so they could have easily released a 30 episode Mr. T set (especially now that they are using DVD-9s which means they can put more episodes on less discs). I kind of feel like it is a money grab to split up Mr. T like that, because they will make more money per episode by putting it out on two releases instead of one. One could guesstimate that a 30 episode set would probably run around $39.95, but splitting it up will allow them to charge $24.95 (13 episodes) and $29.95 (17 episodes), so they are most likely making around $15 more off of it. They did make it sound like GoBots would be released in no more than 3 sets including the mini-series set, so it sounds like we'll probably get two 30 episode sets out of that show (since it ran for 65 episodes total). I don't really have any fears on Mr. T or GoBots not being released completely. They don't need remotely the same type of sales as a retail release and those two shows are among the more popular shows anyways. I'm just not a fan of the way Mr. T is being broke up.

Looking at the episode count, it looks like the Herculoids set won't have the 80s Space Stars episodes, but I really wasn't expecting it to.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Yes, I would like to see a Mighty Mightor/ Moby Dick release as well. I will pray that the person who did the menus for The Space Cadettes/ Young Samson continues that kind of work. Who knows what to expect for The Herculoids? I will not expect much, as far as the menus, and maybe I won't be disappointed. I hate to beat a dead horse but I have a love hate relationship with WB. The cartoons are in excellent shape but I am disgusted with their cutting corners to save a few bucks. It cost me $35. after taxes for one of these releases. They need to work on creating a better quality product.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Originally Posted by dhammer /forum/thread/193293/next-hanna-barbara-set/60#post_3809585
Yes, I would like to see a Mighty Mightor/ Moby Dick release as well. I will pray that the person who did the menus for The Space Cadettes/ Young Samson continues that kind of work. Who knows what to expect for The Herculoids? I will not expect much, as far as the menus, and maybe I won't be disappointed. I hate to beat a dead horse but I have a love hate relationship with WB. The cartoons are in excellent shape but I am disgusted with their cutting corners to save a few bucks. It cost me $35. after taxes for one of these releases. They need to work on creating a better quality product.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Heads up, H-B fans. Warner Archive recently ran a survey through their Facebook page to see which H-B movie should be issued next:

- Jonny Quest vs. the Cyber Insects
- The Jetsons Meet The Flintstones
- Top Cat and the Beverly Hills Cats

The winner was "The Jetsons Meet The Flintstones" and it is up for pre-sale right now at the wbshop.com. I hope the other two will be released this year as well because I like those two a lot better than the Jetsons/Flintstones one.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Originally Posted by JoeDoakes
Eventually, I would like to see the Banana Splits at Hocus-Pocus Park.
as a kid I always felt cheated that I didn't get to see this when it aired. Caught it a while back on Boomerang and was amazed at how second tier the whole production was. They didn't even seem to have the original Sid and Marty Krofft suits for the Splits. The animation looked horrible. This would serve better as a bonus feature on a Complete Banana Splits boxset.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Corey3rd
as a kid I always felt cheated that I didn't get to see this when it aired. Caught it a while back on Boomerang and was amazed at how second tier the whole production was. They didn't even seem to have the original Sid and Marty Krofft suits for the Splits. The animation looked horrible. This would serve better as a bonus feature on a Complete Banana Splits boxset.
That special was filmed at Kings Island in Cincinnati, so who knows -- I've never been to Kings Island, but the Banana Splits and other H-B characters used to walk around there the way the Warner Bros. characters do at Six Flags. I have a postcard from Kings Island showing Bingo and Fleegle and they look like the later costumes (primarily seen in the second season) which is what the characters in Hocus Pocus Park look like. Something funky seems to be going on with Drooper's head during their concert at the end of the show. I never noticed the animation in the special seeming any better or worse than other Hanna-Barbera circa 1972 (but then I'm not a big fan of 70s H-B). But something must have been up behind the scenes, since Allan Melvin does Drooper's voice in some scenes, and Don Messick does the voice in others. I believe one of the witch/wizard characters is voiced by an uncredited (IIRC) Howard Morris -- again in most scenes, with Messick subbing in others. Would this be the first time Howard Morris did a Hanna-Barbera voice since his falling out with the studio circa 1966? Also, there is the tacky 1970s Hanna-Barbera laugh track.

When this first aired, I was just thrilled to see the characters again, two years after their show had gone off the air.

I'd love for this special to see an official DVD release too. I'm glad to have the Banana Splits half-hours on DVD (from WB in the UK) but I would gladly double-dip to get the complete one hour shows, plus whatever scraps of the second season can be found. Maybe tossing in the redubbed cartoon intros from the syndicated shows as a curio? (There also is an unaired "mockumentary" called The Banana Splits Story which I'm told was produced for Cartoon Network in the early 1990s -- Dave Madden from The Partridge Family plays their manager and the dad from The Pattty Duke Show is the former president of Hanna-Barbera records -- references to the "Fleegle Is Dead" rumor, paparazzi shots of their "original drummer" taking out his garbage a la Syd Barrett, "We're The Banana Splits" being played at Monterey, etc. That would make a cool extra too!)

They also could do a set of the ABC Saturday Superstar Movie one-shots (this was one of them) but then, there were others not done by Hanna-Barbera which would be under different ownership, and they probably could not use the show title...

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Originally Posted by Mark Y

That special was filmed at Kings Island in Cincinnati, so who knows -- I've never been to Kings Island, but the Banana Splits and other H-B characters used to walk around there the way the Warner Bros. characters do at Six Flags.
I used to walk up to the Dino Characture and tell him that he'd better be careful, he could get into BIG trouble if someone mistook him for "That OTHER Purple Dinosaur"!

(Dino and Barney had the same Color Scheme!)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I think Hocus Pocus Park must have been syndicated individually because it used to air in the 1970s sometimes on local stations. That is my recolleciton of it, which is very limited. Kings Island is the only major amusement park I have ever been to and I remember very well how it was in the 1970s. I did not know Hocus Pocus Park was filmed there. Together with the Kings Island filmed episodes of the Brady Bunch and the Partridge Family it would make quite a tripple feature. Obviously, a complete set of the Superstar Movie would be best, but I am not sure if WHV owns the rights to all of them. If not, a limited set would be acceptable to me.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by JoeDoakes
I think Hocus Pocus Park must have been syndicated individually because it used to air in the 1970s sometimes on local stations. That is my recolleciton of it, which is very limited. Kings Island is the only major amusement park I have ever been to and I remember very well how it was in the 1970s. I did not know Hocus Pocus Park was filmed there. Together with the Kings Island filmed episodes of the Brady Bunch and the Partridge Family it would make quite a tripple feature. Obviously, a complete set of the Superstar Movie would be best, but I am not sure if WHV owns the rights to all of them. If not, a limited set would be acceptable to me.
I believe you are correct about "Hocus Pocus Park" being syndicated later, although as far as I know, no one picked it up (whatever package it was in) in Chicago. First place I saw it repeated, oddly enough was Cinemax in 1982 (and then HBO in 1985). Those were the days...

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I am thinking HB is running into some issues with copies of the cartoon and moving them to dvd. I thought the new adventures of Gilligan and Gilligan Planet was supposed to be released in April 2011, but was delayed. Ideally, i would like to see the following shows released

1. New Adventures of Gilligan
2. Jeannie
3. Remaining the Scooby-Doo episodes (new scooby-doo show)
4. Partridge Family 2200 AD
5. Sealab 2020
6. Skatebirds
7. Banana Splits
8. Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels
9. Devlin
10. Wait till your father gets home (Season 2)

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Originally Posted by younger1968
I am thinking HB is running into some issues with copies of the cartoon and moving them to dvd. I thought the new adventures of Gilligan and Gilligan Planet was supposed to be released in April 2011, but was delayed. Ideally, i would like to see the following shows released

1. New Adventures of Gilligan
2. Jeannie
3. Remaining the Scooby-Doo episodes (new scooby-doo show)
4. Partridge Family 2200 AD
5. Sealab 2020
6. Skatebirds
7. Banana Splits
8. Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels
9. Devlin
10. Wait till your father gets home (Season 2)
Hopefully All HB will be released.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by Mark Y
That special was filmed at Kings Island in Cincinnati, so who knows -- I've never been to Kings Island, but the Banana Splits and other H-B characters used to walk around there the way the Warner Bros. characters do at Six Flags. I have a postcard from Kings Island showing Bingo and Fleegle and they look like the later costumes (primarily seen in the second season) which is what the characters in Hocus Pocus Park look like. Something funky seems to be going on with Drooper's head during their concert at the end of the show. I never noticed the animation in the special seeming any better or worse than other Hanna-Barbera circa 1972 (but then I'm not a big fan of 70s H-B). But something must have been up behind the scenes, since Allan Melvin does Drooper's voice in some scenes, and Don Messick does the voice in others. I believe one of the witch/wizard characters is voiced by an uncredited (IIRC) Howard Morris -- again in most scenes, with Messick subbing in others. Would this be the first time Howard Morris did a Hanna-Barbera voice since his falling out with the studio circa 1966? Also, there is the tacky 1970s Hanna-Barbera laugh track.

The HB characters also wound up in Southern California at the long-shuttered Marineland. I have pics of Yogi and friends walking around in a parade in the late 70s. I don't think they lasted there very long.

Over at Magic Mountain (now Six Flag Magic Mountain) there were some original characters that I think were supposed to be trolls. I believe the park opened precisely 40 years ago, on Memorial Day 1971. I believe it was in the early 80s that the Looney Tunes characters replaced the Trolls. Bugs and his buddies also showed up at Marriott's Great America in Northern California.

I've unfortunately never been to King's Island either, but there must have been a definite HB tie-in going on. Notice on the Brady Bunch episode, Peter is walking around with a Hair Bear Bunch costume in the epilogue.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I got to go to Kings Island in 1989 and the Hanna-Barbera gang was still in full force. I met Huckleberry Hound and others. There was a Hanna-Barbera Land where the rides were geared to the younger crowd. There was a ton of H-B merchandise available for sale. There is a sister park in Ashland, Virginia called Kings Dominion. The two parks look exactly the same. The H-B characters were not as prominent there as they were at Kings Island. I have been to Kings Dominion twice; once in 1984 and then again in 1991. The H-B characters were walking around but there was hardly any H-B merchandise for sale. However, I did get my picture taken with Huckleberry Hound at Kings Dominion. The guy dressed as Astro told me when Huck would be coming out and where, and his information proved accurate.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Originally Posted by Greg Chenoweth
I got to go to Kings Island in 1989 and the Hanna-Barbera gang was still in full force. I met Huckleberry Hound and others. There was a Hanna-Barbera Land where the rides were geared to the younger crowd. There was a ton of H-B merchandise available for sale. There is a sister park in Ashland, Virginia called Kings Dominion. The two parks look exactly the same. The H-B characters were not as prominent there as they were at Kings Island. I have been to Kings Dominion twice; once in 1984 and then again in 1991. The H-B characters were walking around but there was hardly any H-B merchandise for sale. However, I did get my picture taken with Huckleberry Hound at Kings Dominion. The guy dressed as Astro told me when Huck would be coming out and where, and his information proved accurate.
I live in VA, I use to go to Paramount's Kings Dominion a lot in my childhood and the last time I was there (2002?) and HB was still being sold and the characters we present still. I got my picture with Scooby and Shaggy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks