What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (4 Viewers)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I watched Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels the past few nights as such it was very enjoyable. One of the episode that was very interesting is when the teen angels go back to Captain Caveman's time.

cheneekoo

Agent
Real Name
Chen
I also like when the teen angels go back in time.

I didn't watch the entire series, but I like to watch it from time to time.

I still would like to see all the CBS Cartoon Series being released soon.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I knew this would make Greg happy and it came as a bit of a surprise. For the remaining funny animals cartoons I would have preferred Wally Gator, Quick Draw McGraw, Atom Ant/Secret Squirrel, Peter Potamus and of course the rest of Huckleberry Hound but hey since this is the first classic HB release this year I'll take it. :) . I'm wondering about the ratio. Since these were theatrical cartoons from 1959-1965 they were originally shown at 1.85:1. The preview appears this way but the product description says 1.37:1. Sometimes their product descriptions are incorrect early on so hopefully that is the case here. Having these re-mastered and in Original Aspect Ratio will make this a very nice set.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Randy Korstick said:
I knew this would make Greg happy and it came as a bit of a surprise. For the remaining funny animals cartoons I would have preferred Wally Gator, Quick Draw McGraw, Atom Ant/Secret Squirrel, Peter Potamus and of course the rest of Huckleberry Hound but hey since this is the first classic HB release this year I'll take it. :) . I'm wondering about the ratio. Since these were theatrical cartoons from 1959-1965 they were originally shown at 1.85:1. The preview appears this way but the product description says 1.37:1. Sometimes their product descriptions are incorrect early on so hopefully that is the case here. Having these re-mastered and in Original Aspect Ratio will make this a very nice set.
If the cartoons were drawn for 1.37:1, I would prefer them to be open mat, but I can live with it either way. I had never heard of this one, but it looks worth picking up. Here are a couple of questions for the first buyers based on the Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loopy_De_Loop.

1. The cartoons were distributed theatrically by Columbia, what are the title cards like? Does any trace of Columbia remain? Is anything harmed?

2. These cartoons were syndicated as the Loopy De Loop Show. Were there any specific titles for that show? If yes, are they retained?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
They were drawn 1.37:1 yes but not intended to be seen that way and were not seen that way in theaters. They were done with 1.85:1 in mind from the beginning. Most theatrical animation of the 60's, 70's and 80's was drawn in 1.37:1 even though it was not intended. I always prefer the original theatrical presentation on any film. In open matte we will be seeing area in the top and bottom that was not meant to be seen and may contain errors not originally cleaned up and we will be missing a small sliver on the sides that we were meant to see.

For question 1. These cartons did not retain the Columbia log when shown on boomerang and since this is a Warner release I'm positive we won't be seeing the Columbia logo. The Columbia logo just appeared before the cartoon title so it shouldn't make a difference.

Can't comment on No 2 its been too long since I saw the syndicated show.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Since this release is for the theatrical presentation, I do not expect there to be any TV titles at all. Any TV titles would have come from the local stations and not from Hanna-Barbera; they never made any titles for it. Just like Wally Gator, Lippy and Hardy and Touche Turtle never had an opening title for the half hour block of cartoons, the same went for Loopy. I've got a cartoon on the Warner's 75th anniversary set of H-B cartoons. I'll try to check it for presentation and get back to you.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Does anyone know how long this will take to show up on Amazon.com? It may cost a few bucks less there. $32.00 total with tax is steep.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Warner Archive answered my question and confirmed that the release is Full Screen 1.37:1 and not OAR 1.85:1. Well I'm definitely disappointed as they are usually good when it comes to aspect ratio. :(
This is no longer a priority release for me. Its now on the backburner awaiting a real good sale.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Randy Korstick said:
Well, in the case of the 1950s Loony Tunes cartoons that wasn't the case. The animators just drew the cartoons as they always had, and a mat was put over them resulting in some odd framing. Check out the comments on the early Superstars releases regarding this. It may not apply here.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
That is true for many cartoons shorts in the early days of widescreen 1953-1958. A few Like Tom and Jerry, Droopy, Mr. Magoo and a few Disney shorts had cinemascope cartoons done at that time but many others in the early days were 1.85:1 and may not have been framed with 1.85:1 in mind; as is the case with the 50's Loony Tunes. By around 1959 that changed with Loony Tunes as all the early 60's ones were definitely animated with 1.85:1 in mind. Same is true for the other studios still producing shorts In the early 60's: Chuck Jones Tom and Jerry, Universal Walter Lantz cartoons; etc. Loopy de Loop is the only theatrical cartoon produced by HB's own studio and was made from 1959-1965 and falls into this category as well.
JoeDoakes said:
Well, in the case of the 1950s Loony Tunes cartoons that wasn't the case. The animators just drew the cartoons as they always had, and a mat was put over them resulting in some odd framing. Check out the comments on the early Superstars releases regarding this. It may not apply here.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Greg Chenoweth said:
Since this release is for the theatrical presentation, I do not expect there to be any TV titles at all. Any TV titles would have come from the local stations and not from Hanna-Barbera; they never made any titles for it. Just like Wally Gator, Lippy and Hardy and Touche Turtle never had an opening title for the half hour block of cartoons, the same went for Loopy. I've got a cartoon on the Warner's 75th anniversary set of H-B cartoons. I'll try to check it for presentation and get back to you.
Yes, I guess your right. Thinking back to the 1970s, there were still blocks of time, usually between 3 and 4 when they would have a show and just show cartoons or Three Stooges shorts with no opening or closing. If one was lucky, occasionally the studio hired a cartoon host who delivered loads of great corny shtick, but oftentimes, the cartoons were bare.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
JoeDoakes said:
Yes, I guess your right. Thinking back to the 1970s, there were still blocks of time, usually between 3 and 4 when they would have a show and just show cartoons or Three Stooges shorts with no opening or closing. If one was lucky, occasionally the studio hired a cartoon host who delivered loads of great corny shtick, but oftentimes, the cartoons were bare.
In Canada both the Pink Panther as well as Wait till Your Father gets home were shown later in the afternoon. I used to love both the ant and aardvark as well as the inspector. I was very disappointed when volume 2 of the inspector was not released as single set, but part of the pink panther collection.

Wait till Your Father gest home was another classic show for me, especially with Tom Bosley doing the voice work for Harry Boyle. I have S1 on dvd as such I was hoping the remaining seasons would be released. I have to wonder with the delay if there are issues with episodes in S2 and S3 due to fact Rich Little and Phyllis Diller guest starred.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
If YOGI'S SPACE RACE (1978) was ever considered for release on DVD (that's in the near future), then how would you like to see it be presented?

As most of you are sticklers for it as a complete series, then we'll hope that WAC releases it in that particular way. It consisted of the following segments:
YOGI'S SPACE RACE (one 20-minute segment per week)
GALAXY GOOF-UPS (one 20-minute segment per week)
THE BUFORD FILES (one 10-minute segment per week)
THE GALLOPING GHOST (one 10-minute segment per week)

However, it should be known that it was only a 90-minute block (as title segment, GALAXY GOOF-UPS, THE BUFORD FILES and THE GALLOPING GHOST) for the first eight weeks because on the 9th week, the GALAXY GOOF-UPS segment defected and thus the last five episodes of that segment were ran standalone until airing the final first-run episode on December 2, 1978.

Therefore, the last five weeks saw YOGI'S SPACE RACE as a 60-minute series with only the title segment, THE BUFORD FILES and THE GALLOPING GHOST.

When THE BUFORD FILES and GALLOPING GHOST segments were reran on their own under the umbrella title BUFORD AND THE GALLOPING GHOST starting February 3, 1979, a new intro sequence was cobbled together which started with the last few seconds of THE BUFORD FILES intro ("Here comes help, here comes action, here comes Buford!") and then after the closing harmonica flourish, we then see an edited version of THE GALLOPING GHOST intro (omitting the beginning with the song lyrics "Come on along on our adventure, to a city way out west"). We then see the complete 30-second THE BUFORD FILES title afterward. How clever was that?

~Ben

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
So we're talking about 13 episodes ranging in length from 90 to 60 minutes? I guess that I would prefer the complete series as it originally ran. Which is better, Yogi's Space Race or Yogi's Treasure Hunt. Treasure Hunt sounds more intrinsically interesting to me, but I have never seen either shows.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Yogi's Space Race is high on my wanted list and in the original 90 minute format. It will not be hard for them to add the Galaxy Goof-Ups back into the last 5 episodes and that would make the most sense. It was NBC that broke the show up, it was intended to be 90 minutes for all 13 episodes. Considering what they did with Space Stars I'm sure this show will be in its complete 90 minute version. It works a lot better that way, I don't think the parts stand alone as well as the whole.
I've never seen Yogi's Treasure Hunt and although I normally don't care for HB post 1981 I may give that one a shot. But I'm really hoping for Yogi's Space Race first.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Randy Korstick said:
Yogi's Space Race is high on my wanted list and in the original 90 minute format. It will not be hard for them to add the Galaxy Goof-Ups back into the last 5 episodes and that would make the most sense. It was NBC that broke the show up, it was intended to be 90 minutes for all 13 episodes. Considering what they did with Space Stars I'm sure this show will be in its complete 90 minute version. It works a lot better that way, I don't think the parts stand alone as well as the whole.
I've never seen Yogi's Treasure Hunt and although I normally don't care for HB post 1981 I may give that one a shot. But I'm really hoping for Yogi's Space Race first.
Did they make a full 13 episodes of Galaxy Goof-ups? If not, I doubt if they would repeat episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks