What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (2 Viewers)

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Professor Echo said:
It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Believe me, I would love to be wrong and that there are still years of DVD/Blu releases left, but I'm not too optimistic at this point. And the older some of us boomers get, the less market there is for some of the vintage titles. I can see TOUCHÉ TURTLE being included in a streaming package, but not as a DVD, even an MOD. Like it or not, I just don't think the demographic for those shows is as attractive as it once was, evidenced by the changes we've seen in the Boomerang schedule over the years. Let's hope I'm wrong.
The quote highlighted I dont understand. You mention that Touche may be too vintage for the younger crowd and yet say it could be on a streaming package. Streaming demographic is much much younger than the physical media deomographic. Younger folks like streaming and download. I think many on here are forgetting the last one. DOWNLOAD. The studios are backing downloads as the ownership model of the future. They are all going with the DIGITAL HD moniker on all their releases in 2014.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Professor Echo said:
But streaming will become their preferred method of delivery, there is no denying it. Tossing an old cartoon onto their streaming channel represents a far less investment than releasing a limited run MOD, including a lack of restoration costs if that's how they choose to present it.We can go around and around on it and still just guess at the eventuality. I'm not tying to be contentious, but I have no doubts that most of the vintage titles will head to streaming sooner or later and not as an MOD, regardless of who currently streams and who doesn't. Streaming is the future of home entertainment as far as the studios are concerned. If the Warner channel fails, we will all have to rethink that, but right now they are putting a lot of effort into it succeeding because for them it represents the most ideal way to "share" their product. And note that I said FOR THEM, not necessarily for consumers.So we will just have to see which one of us is proven right. And as I said, I hope I'm wrong since I prefer physical media to streaming, though I use both.
Again, no mention of the word DOWNLOAD in your post. All the studios are backing DigitalHD as the preferred way to get their product to the purchasing consumer. While many of us continue to purchase physical media (DVD and Bluray) and also are dabbling into downloaded media as well. The new powerdvd software plays DigitalHD and gives the purchaser of the video a choice to stream or download to whatever they choose to view it on and there are other programs and apps coming in the near future. https://uvvu.com/en/us/where-to-watch
Streaming is for rental or those who made a media purchase and prefer "Cloud storage" backup.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
JoeDoakes said:
Yes. Rather than streaming replacing DVD, I think it's much more likely that DVD and blu will last until there is some device that can hold 1000s of shows and movies much like an ipod does for songs. Streaming is a bigger threat to cable than to physical media imo.
I think you hit the nail on the head.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Towergrove said:
The quote highlighted I dont understand. You mention that Touche may be too vintage for the younger crowd and yet say it could be on a streaming package. Streaming demographic is much much younger than the physical media deomographic. Younger folks like streaming and download. I think many on here are forgetting the last one. DOWNLOAD. The studios are backing downloads as the ownership model of the future. They are all going with the DIGITAL HD moniker on all their releases in 2014.
Warners is already marketing streaming as a much more convenient and ultimately cheaper alternative to physical media. The demographics for streaming will eventually skew older and right now the Warner Archive streaming channel is filled with vintage film and television titles geared for an older crowd. That generation will gradually find little choice but to accept streaming as part of the home entertainment landscape the same way they did with videotapes and then DVDs. That's why the studios can more or less "dump" older product onto streaming at a fraction of the cost for physical media. All those Warner DVDs that made their way to Big Lots for $3 each was not a lesson ignored by the studio. And in addition to all of this, streaming allows the studio to retain their property rights in perpetuity and forever at THEIR discretion, not yours, something they have wanted since the dawn of home video. I fully expect two more streaming channels from WB, one for movies of the past 20 years to the present, which will target their most coveted demographic, i.e. teens to 30's, and a family oriented network that includes much of their vast animation library. Perhaps all will be incorporated into a single channel ala Netflix or exist as separate entities under an umbrella name, available individually or as a package. But the Archive channel, if successful, will focus more on vintage material and attract older viewers. As for downloading, that is currently a niche market which so far offers little appeal for the older demographic. Not only is it nowhere near as user friendly as streaming, which is marketed as a simple (read Joe Walmart) alternative to having cable, but its costs will only rise over time as more people adjust to the idea of streaming over owning. I personally don't believe downloading will ever be as accepted or as lucrative as physical media was. The comparison to owning songs and spreading them over several devices may be an apt one, but I don't think the upcoming generation will care much about owning movies and TV. Streaming over their devices will suffice for the majority. Of course, this is all MY OPINION and conjecture, not fact, based on working for several major studios in my career and on my own informal observations of the market and deductions thereof. But I advise anyone who cares about owning physical media to stock up now because it's heading the way of LPs, a boutique item sold by few for few.Now I've strayed off topic enough and will stop so the discussion of HB can continue. :)

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Ultimately, people want to watch what they want, when they prefer, on the device they like. So streaming,downlaoding, cloud storage, whatever tech or deliverymodel may well change with the technology.The funny thing about people though is some like to collect things, and are driven to complete sets of stuff,whether it be table place settings, books from a favoriteauthor, or DVDs. The major difference that technologywill eventually offer, is access to everything all the time.Things like Wikipedia are already changing things.Do I need to print a list of all the Love Boat episode datesand titles when I can access such a list any time on myipad quicker than I can remember where I left the Printed paper? The same will happen eventually with video. Everythingwill be available to access digitally. And we'll be left withthe decision whether we need to keep a physical hard copy of it in some physical form. It sort of remainds meof Star Trek, if we could have everything we wanted at any time, does our attitude of wanting all the stuff actuallychange?Am I keeping all the Hanna Barbera DVDs in my drawerprecisely because they were unavailable to see anywherefor such a long time? Has anyone else had the feelingthat when something finally came out on DVD that theywere waiting for, they no longer felt the need to buy it?That's the thing about collecting being another separate activity from watching tv shows. They are different things,and that makes video services different than media,or even downloads. Eventually, as the scarcity is Removed that prevents access to those things likeobscure shows, it will be interesting to see how the Collector market changes.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Professor Echo said:
Warners is already marketing streaming as a much more convenient and ultimately cheaper alternative to physical media. The demographics for streaming will eventually skew older and right now the Warner Archive streaming channel is filled with vintage film and television titles geared for an older crowd. That generation will gradually find little choice but to accept streaming as part of the home entertainment landscape the same way they did with videotapes and then DVDs. That's why the studios can more or less "dump" older product onto streaming at a fraction of the cost for physical media. All those Warner DVDs that made their way to Big Lots for $3 each was not a lesson ignored by the studio. And in addition to all of this, streaming allows the studio to retain their property rights in perpetuity and forever at THEIR discretion, not yours, something they have wanted since the dawn of home video. I fully expect two more streaming channels from WB, one for movies of the past 20 years to the present, which will target their most coveted demographic, i.e. teens to 30's, and a family oriented network that includes much of their vast animation library. Perhaps all will be incorporated into a single channel ala Netflix or exist as separate entities under an umbrella name, available individually or as a package. But the Archive channel, if successful, will focus more on vintage material and attract older viewers. As for downloading, that is currently a niche market which so far offers little appeal for the older demographic. Not only is it nowhere near as user friendly as streaming, which is marketed as a simple (read Joe Walmart) alternative to having cable, but its costs will only rise over time as more people adjust to the idea of streaming over owning. I personally don't believe downloading will ever be as accepted or as lucrative as physical media was. The comparison to owning songs and spreading them over several devices may be an apt one, but I don't think the upcoming generation will care much about owning movies and TV. Streaming over their devices will suffice for the majority. Of course, this is all MY OPINION and conjecture, not fact, based on working for several major studios in my career and on my own informal observations of the market and deductions thereof. But I advise anyone who cares about owning physical media to stock up now because it's heading the way of LPs, a boutique item sold by few for few.Now I've strayed off topic enough and will stop so the discussion of HB can continue. :)
Downloading is over a 1 billion dollar a year business that grew 50 percent last year. Hardly a niche as you suggest. http://www.degonline.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/DEG-Year-End-2013-Home-Entertainment-Report.pdf As for streaming the only successful video streaming site so far is Netflix. HULU which is in 2nd place well the owners have been trying to dump that for a while.You mention downloading not being easy, well if you can setup and use a remote on streaming sites you can press the buy it now button on a remote.Also as far as costs don't expect streaming to stay at $8 a month that too will rise x2 because the internet service providers will also want their share otherwise throttling and video studdering is coming to a screen near you.This is just MY OPINION informal observations also as I and my husband have worked in both the entertainment industry as well as the electronics industry for most of our lifetime.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
derosa said:
Ultimately, people want to watch what they want, when they prefer, on the device they like. So streaming,downlaoding, cloud storage, whatever tech or deliverymodel may well change with the technology.The funny thing about people though is some like to collect things, and are driven to complete sets of stuff,whether it be table place settings, books from a favoriteauthor, or DVDs. The major difference that technologywill eventually offer, is access to everything all the time.Things like Wikipedia are already changing things.Do I need to print a list of all the Love Boat episode datesand titles when I can access such a list any time on myipad quicker than I can remember where I left the Printed paper? The same will happen eventually with video. Everythingwill be available to access digitally. And we'll be left withthe decision whether we need to keep a physical hard copy of it in some physical form. It sort of remainds meof Star Trek, if we could have everything we wanted at any time, does our attitude of wanting all the stuff actuallychange?Am I keeping all the Hanna Barbera DVDs in my drawerprecisely because they were unavailable to see anywherefor such a long time? Has anyone else had the feelingthat when something finally came out on DVD that theywere waiting for, they no longer felt the need to buy it?That's the thing about collecting being another separate activity from watching tv shows. They are different things,and that makes video services different than media,or even downloads. Eventually, as the scarcity is Removed that prevents access to those things likeobscure shows, it will be interesting to see how the Collector market changes.
The problem is that with streaming not everything is available and when something is on the streaming sites they are temporarily. Items are pulled from Netflix all the time. I've been in the middle of a series only to realize that when I bring up the next episode the series is no longer available on the service.Studios are going to be pushing for collectors to go to downloads. They have two markets rental and sell thru. They make more money from a download vs a rental in the digital world.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Keeping it short with a five point post:

#1. WHV's strategy is not that baffling either. It's easier to be disappointed with but at no point does it really lead me into confusion other than motive.

#2. I don't buy into any kind of age limits though. Taste is taste people will like what they like. I can sympathize with a parent wanting to share childhood memories with their own child, but if it's the show that matters, then obviously there really should be a cut off.

#3. I've seen Echo's tangents before and it's nice to see a more thought out explanation of how you got to said conclusions. But this 22 year old who often talks about these type markets in other business classes, respectfully can't agree with a lot of assumptions in that post.

#4. Blanket on younger generations, is this just me being odd man out for being one of the younger people here? I don't get a lot of these stereotypes around here. I certainly don't see people younger than myself living like this.

#5: And last point of this mini bit, distribution is constantly going up because people remember things. Technology may change as to how we get it, but thinking it's going to be criminally hidden, is just conspiracy nonsense in my book. (and my book in this case is not 1984.)

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Towergrove said:
Downloading is over a 1 billion dollar a year business that grew 50 percent last year. Hardly a niche as you suggest. http://www.degonline.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/DEG-Year-End-2013-Home-Entertainment-Report.pdf As for streaming the only successful video streaming site so far is Netflix. HULU which is in 2nd place well the owners have been trying to dump that for a while.You mention downloading not being easy, well if you can setup and use a remote on streaming sites you can press the buy it now button on a remote.Also as far as costs don't expect streaming to stay at $8 a month that too will rise x2 because the internet service providers will also want their share otherwise throttling and video studdering is coming to a screen near you.This is just MY OPINION informal observations also as I and my husband have worked in both the entertainment industry as well as the electronics industry for most of our lifetime.
Although a rebuttal with contrary evidence is available, I think it best to agree to disagree and just wait to see what happens as the market and marketing changes. Lest this thread turn into a negative slug fest as often happens on HTF, I will conclude my part of this by saying it has been an interesting discussion and I've enjoyed it.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Professor Echo said:
Although a rebuttal with contrary evidence is available, I think it best to agree to disagree and just wait to see what happens as the market and marketing changes. Lest this thread turn into a negative slug fest as often happens on HTF, I will conclude my part of this by saying it has been an interesting discussion and I've enjoyed it.
I concur. I've held off sharing my thoughts because I don't want to be greeted with a chorus of "I told you so's" if things don't happen just like I say they might. This board is always good for a few of those type comments, so I'm done making predictions one way or the other. But I will say I agree with Glen that the studios, if they can make it happen, would prefer some form of streaming simply because it gives them more control. That's axiomatic, but I'll say no more.

Gary "hoping that by some miracle I see the original Harlem Globetrotters cartoon released some day" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Regarding downloading, I have one question:

- Are these downloads, particularly TV series downloads, locked out or otherwise prohibited from creating dvd's from the download?

This is an important point for some of us that have been reading this discussion. In my case, I have a Mom that can't leave her house except for necessary travel to doctors, etc. I watch some TV/DVD shows weekly at Mom's house with her.

There isn't a media player or other device available at Mom's so I can't copy a downloaded file and watch the TV series on her TV with her.

If the answer is "No, studio Downloads, once purchased legally by the paying consumer, are not encrypted or otherwise blocked from creating dvd's from the file", then I'm ok with the Download method.

As many here, I much prefer the physical dvd set on my shelf but I realize that times change.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Man according to some people around here i bet they picture company board meetings are set up like that of Cobra or the Legion of Doom.

And in actual relevant news not on this tangent, WA on facebook answered me on one of the few uncertain items we have yet to before get confirmation. WB has home video rights to the Midnight Patrol. I assumed they did from having the tv distribution and Classic Media's page not making any mention of home media, but now there is a definitive answer.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Back on topic with Hanna Barbera and away from the derailed... Im hoping we see some Goldie Gold and Jana of the Jungle soon. Are these owned by Warners? They played Goldie on Cartoon Network many years ago haven T seen Jana in ages.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
MattPriceTime said:
Man according to some people around here i bet they picture company board meetings are set up like that of Cobra or the Legion of Doom. And in actual relevant news not on this tangent, WA on facebook answered me on one of the few uncertain items we have yet to before get confirmation. WB has home video rights to the Midnight Patrol. I assumed they did from having the tv distribution and Classic Media's page not making any mention of home media, but now there is a definitive answer.
Matt I have never heard of this tv show and I'm very intrigued by just the few google searches I have found on this series. I do hope this is out soon.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I own over 100 Animated Series, 34 of which are Hanna-Barbara, 21 are Filmation and the rest were made by other sources. I've just about concluded my collection, as there aren't too many left on my list, just a few "Grail Series" and that it.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Jeff Willis said:
Is that a referral to my question regarding Downloading?
Actually nope, even though you posted prior i guess you responded before mine actually posted. Mine was in response to the fact it seems we have people who buy the whole "evil corporation" stereotype you see in cartoons.

In actual response to your question, i speculated in another thread that because the download market hasn't really settled on a standard yet it's a reason why it's not moving as quickly as it has in say the music market or at least in a decent stride like the book market. It's still a little wild west until a standard truly develops. However i'm sure the effects of the sister markets aren't helping them be in that much of a rush. Since the average customer of 2014 is happy to use digital for convenience but is not ready to put all their trust in it to give up physical completely. And even then as long as the minority makes money it will be around (looking at you music CDs!)
Towergrove said:
Back on topic with Hanna Barbera and away from the derailed...Im hoping we see some Goldie Gold and Jana of the Jungle soon. Are these owned by Warners? They played Goldie on Cartoon Network many years ago havenT seen Jana in ages.
Yes they confirmed they own both. Why CN doesn't air Jana remains a mystery. But WB does indeed own it.

There's still a few things they haven't really given answers on yet. Two off the top of my head are Rubik the Amazing Cube (Ruby Spears) and the Harlem Globetrotters Meet Snow White.
Regulus said:
I own over 100 Animated Series, 34 of which are Hanna-Barbara, 21 are Filmation and the rest were made by other sources. I've just about concluded my collection, as there aren't too many left on my list, just a few "Grail Series" and that it.
Not for me. With so many HB shows still to come, my side of this collection still has a lot to grow. I'm not holding my breath currently for any of the ones not WB (or maybe not Sony either) owned. So i guess i'll still be one of the last standing in this thread. lol

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Professor Echo said:
I have no doubt that everything will be released, but not in the physical media format. Once the Warner Archive streaming channel gains a foothold and streaming itself becomes more widely accepted, you will see the DVD/Blu departments of the WA fade away.I would expect an announcement one of these days that Warners will start an animation streaming channel, maybe under their Cartoon Network or Boomerang brand and THAT'S where the classics will be revived. So I share your optimism, Randy, but in a different way. And ultimately it's not the way I want them released, but it's inevitable, I'm afraid.
It's not. The Warner Archive is clearly aimed at the collector market and collectors are much more attached to physical media than the mainstream casual viewer - the latter see content as "view it and throw it away". Collectors want stuff to keep - the Archive produces enough physical media to satisfy demand, which is the whole point, therefore the economics of the Archive releases vs streaming are quite different to standard general releases vs streaming.

Moreover, DVD sales still outnumber streaming sales - and physical medium will be around for a long time because there is a large consumder base that has what's necessary for it (ie, a TV, player and electricity) but not that necessary to replace it with streaming (which requires a fast broadband package without useage caps)

We are likely to see parallel releases for a very long time. Thankfuly, I already own or will own most of what I want on DVD, therefore, I won;t be screwed when we jump back thirty years or so and end up as hapless slaves once more to the "if you want to see it pray the broadcaster doesn;t pull it due to low numbers or lose the rights because when they do it;s gone forever"

Streaming is actually a massive step backwards for collectors, it's really nothing more than a return to subscription television with a figleaf that makes viewers think they both own and control content. They don't of course.

I'm glad I own something like Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, I don;t have to rely on some capricious deity that can pull it any time it likes or can simply vanish in a puff of smoke when the company folds, taking everything with it.

And that's before you compare DVD - where you can play any disc issued by any studio - to streaming, where we are already seeing exclusive content, meaning oif ypu want a comprehensive "collection", you'r elooking at multiple subscriptions.

Hell, that's why they love streaming so much - all the control goes back to the studios just like they always wanted it (including geolocking, which is vastly more difficult to get around than region coding) and they eliminate a ton of costs.

As a model for a collector it utterly stinks, it;s fine for a "I fancy watching Thor tonight" casual viewer.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
MattPriceTime said:
Actually nope, even though you posted prior i guess you responded before mine actually posted. Mine was in response to the fact it seems we have people who buy the whole "evil corporation" stereotype you see in cartoons.

In actual response to your question, i speculated in another thread that because the download market hasn't really settled on a standard yet it's a reason why it's not moving as quickly as it has in say the music market or at least in a decent stride like the book market. It's still a little wild west until a standard truly develops. However i'm sure the effects of the sister markets aren't helping them be in that much of a rush. Since the average customer of 2014 is happy to use digital for convenience but is not ready to put all their trust in it to give up physical completely. And even then as long as the minority makes money it will be around (looking at you music CDs!)
Thanks for the info on the downloading pov. If I had a choice between the 2 formats (downloading vs streaming), I'd prefer downloading, if it's open for the purchaser's ownership (mobile to another PC, burning DVD's).

I have a good high speed 'net connection from my provider but there's a lot in the U.S. that don't have reliable high speed 'net providers available yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks