What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (7 Viewers)

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Does anyone think we'll ever see more of the classic, though relatively forgotten 60's HB toons like WALLY GATOR, SNOOPER & BLABBER, TOUCHÉ TURTLE, ATOM ANT, et al.? Some of these barely even made it to BOOMERANG back in the early days of the network and certainly are few and far between now with the 90's onslaught they are currently mired in.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Nebiroth said:
Whew, I thought they'd dropped the Marine Boy releases it's been solong since the last one!
Yeah, I have to believe the third and final one will be out to bring us to 78 episodes. I would like to see Johnny Cipher in Dimension Zero, which they said was coming--we'll see. I wish MGM would release Prince Planet. I know it is on Hulu.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
But it's true. With a live-action film, you'll get a specific detailed response as to wheter they're remastering it, or if it's undergoing clearance, or if it's on the docket for the near future. With animation, they're coy as hell and it's anybody's guess if they're even working on anything at the moment.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
It may be awhile but the majority of the classic HB will eventually be released. I wouldn't worry about it. They may not release every show they have but the majority will be released. It just takes time for remastering, locating good elements and since last year they have been trying to release the shows as close as possible to the original broadcast which also takes time. They have a bigger variety and catalog to release between movies, TV series and animation than any other studio so its not easy to keep all fan groups happy all the time. But here are some recent replies concerning animation releases:
This reply was for a question on the 2 Gilligan shows:

"Remastering and film elemenet issues have stood in the way, but we should be getting at least one series underway shortly. Have faith...and thanks for your patience."

This reply was for a question on HB releases in general and on the Smurfs:

"WAC has great HB releases in the works. WHV is handling SMURFS so we are not involved in anything Smurf-related. Thanks."

This reply is for a release question on the Japanese animated movie: Magic Boy" since Marineboy has been released:

"MAGIC BOY was scheduled to be released with the 2nd MARINE BOY release, but we ran into technical problems during the remastering problems. We plan to have MAGIC BOY completed soon and will be releasing it with the final volume of MARINE BOY."

So they definately answer Animation questions. I see Live action Movie and TV show questions ignored or given vague answers everyday as well. There is no real rhyme or reason to how they answer questions on Facebook.

Professor Echo said:
Does anyone think we'll ever see more of the classic, though relatively forgotten 60's HB toons like WALLY GATOR, SNOOPER & BLABBER, TOUCHÉ TURTLE, ATOM ANT, et al.? Some of these barely even made it to BOOMERANG back in the early days of the network and certainly are few and far between now with the 90's onslaught they are currently mired in.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Our ears get to bleed from complaining enough around certain parts of the web, but regardless whether anyone likes it or not, there is a discernible pattern to how they go about releases. And we get it already, some of you out there would prefer they'd go about animated releases in the same way they do tv series, but unless you are planning to croak soon, why does it matter? Quite frankly the biggest thing you have to fear for the majority of things owned by WB not getting released is if WA goes out of business, and that doesn't appear to be happening any time soon.

And getting to the rumor mill, while Greg's message he got of "soon" was the within a month indication of Marine Boy's release. Someone else asked about the next Hanna Barbera release like last week and it got a 'soon" and over on twitter they stated something 80s is "soonish", so based on the previous comment from earlier about those 80s series with more sets to come, one of them might be on the horizon soon. But also given the last HB releases were three weeks back to back, there could be another pattern such as that with the next release/s. We'll just have to wait and see.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
MattPriceTime said:
And we get it already, some of you out there would prefer they'd go about animated releases in the same way they do tv series, but unless you are planning to croak soon, why does it matter?
We've discussed this before, it matters to some people who are parents and would like to be able to share certain shows with their kids at an ageappropriate for watching the cartoons. Like it or not, by the time they getto a a certain age, they aren't going to have any interest in shows gearedtowards a younger audience.Take for example the shows from the late 70s even early 80s that are not widely availble, and do the math on their age. Shows that appeal to 8-12 year olds, like Scooby, Clue Club, Goldie Gold, Insert your favourites, and the time has basically run out for many parents who watched them as a kidthemselves, they are now mid 40s, and many have kids that are becoming teenagers. so it's a missed opportunity for the generation of parents in the target retro demographic to buy these shows. Maybe in another 15 or 20 yearswe can buy those famously ignored '77 scooby shows for our grand kids!

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
derosa said:
We've discussed this before, it matters to some people who are parentsand would like to be able to share certain shows with their kids at an ageappropriate for watching the cartoons. Like it or not, by the time they getto a a certain age, they aren't going to have any interest in shows gearedtowards a younger audience.Take for example the shows from the late 70s even early 80s that are notwidely availble, and do the math on their age. Shows that appeal to 8-12 yearolds, like Scooby, Clue Club, Goldie Gold, Insert your favourites, and thetime has basically run out for many parents who watched them as a kidthemselves, they are now mid 40s, and many have kids that are becomingteenagers. so it's a missed opportunity for the generation of parents in thetarget retro demographic to buy these shows. Maybe in another 15 or 20 yearswe can buy those famously ignored '77 scooby shows for our grand kids!
Well said, derosa!

Darby

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Scooby Doo belongs to Warner Home Video and not WA so its a completely different story. WHV has a marketing strategy that baffles nearly everyone. They don't generally believe in season sets for animation and just release collections with low price tags aimed at checkout sales in walmart/target stores. So they constantly repeat episodes in the collections and still miss the 77' episodes. If WA had control of Scooby we would have got the 77' season as a set a long time ago.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Randy Korstick said:
Scooby Doo belongs to Warner Home Video and not WA so its a completely different story. WHV has a marketing strategy that baffles nearly everyone. They don't generally believe in season sets for animation and just release collections with low price tags aimed at checkout sales in walmart/target stores. So they constantly repeat episodes in the collections and still miss the 77' episodes. If WA had control of Scooby we would have got the 77' season as a set a long time ago.
Randy, I completely agree with how quirky WHV's marketing strategy is. I would love to see the missing episodes released as one set, but WHV instead doles them out very gradually via low-cost compilation sets and they don't mind double-dipping either. If WA ever did get control, I just hope they would release the missing episodes in one set on pressed discs rather than DVD-Rs, given the marketability of the brand.

Darby

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Darby67 said:
Randy, I completely agree with how quirky WHV's marketing strategy is. I would love to see the missing episodes released as one set, but WHV instead doles them out very gradually via low-cost compilation sets and they don't mind double-dipping either. If WA ever did get control, I just hope they would release the missing episodes in one set on pressed discs rather than DVD-Rs, given the marketability of the brand.

Darby
Yes. If WA released a set of hard to find Scooby classics, I would definitely buy it, even if some of the episodes might be double dips.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Randy Korstick said:
It may be awhile but the majority of the classic HB will eventually be released. I wouldn't worry about it. They may not release every show they have but the majority will be released. It just takes time for remastering, locating good elements and since last year they have been trying to release the shows as close as possible to the original broadcast which also takes time. They have a bigger variety and catalog to release between movies, TV series and animation than any other studio so its not easy to keep all fan groups happy all the time. But here are some recent replies concerning animation releases:This reply was for a question on the 2 Gilligan shows: "Remastering and film elemenet issues have stood in the way, but we should be getting at least one series underway shortly. Have faith...and thanks for your patience." This reply was for a question on HB releases in general and on the Smurfs: "WAC has great HB releases in the works. WHV is handling SMURFS so we are not involved in anything Smurf-related. Thanks." This reply is for a release question on the Japanese animated movie: Magic Boy" since Marineboy has been released: "MAGIC BOY was scheduled to be released with the 2nd MARINE BOY release, but we ran into technical problems during the remastering problems. We plan to have MAGIC BOY completed soon and will be releasing it with the final volume of MARINE BOY." So they definately answer Animation questions. I see Live action Movie and TV show questions ignored or given vague answers everyday as well. There is no real rhyme or reason to how they answer questions on Facebook.
I have no doubt that everything will be released, but not in the physical media format. Once the Warner Archive streaming channel gains a foothold and streaming itself becomes more widely accepted, you will see the DVD/Blu departments of the WA fade away. I would expect an announcement one of these days that Warners will start an animation streaming channel, maybe under their Cartoon Network or Boomerang brand and THAT'S where the classics will be revived. So I share your optimism, Randy, but in a different way. And ultimately it's not the way I want them released, but it's inevitable, I'm afraid.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I believe you are correct about the everything part but I believe what you are suggesting is still a few years away and we will still see at least 2-3 years of HB DVD releases. I see a minimum of 25 animated series titles from them before this is a reality. They seem to be doing around 8-10 animated series titles a year. The fact that they have yet to make a single HB title available for streaming despite many requests for them somewhat backs this up.
Professor Echo said:
I have no doubt that everything will be released, but not in the physical media format. Once the Warner Archive streaming channel gains a foothold and streaming itself becomes more widely accepted, you will see the DVD/Blu departments of the WA fade away.I would expect an announcement one of these days that Warners will start an animation streaming channel, maybe under their Cartoon Network or Boomerang brand and THAT'S where the classics will be revived. So I share your optimism, Randy, but in a different way. And ultimately it's not the way I want them released, but it's inevitable, I'm afraid.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Randy Korstick said:
I believe you are correct about the everything part but I believe what you are suggesting is still a few years away and we will still see at least 2-3 years of HB DVD releases. I see a minimum of 25 animated series titles from them before this is a reality. They seem to be doing around 8-10 animated series titles a year. The fact that they have yet to make a single HB title available for streaming despite many requests for them somewhat backs this up.
It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Believe me, I would love to be wrong and that there are still years of DVD/Blu releases left, but I'm not too optimistic at this point. And the older some of us boomers get, the less market there is for some of the vintage titles. I can see TOUCHÉ TURTLE being included in a streaming package, but not as a DVD, even an MOD. Like it or not, I just don't think the demographic for those shows is as attractive as it once was, evidenced by the changes we've seen in the Boomerang schedule over the years. Let's hope I'm wrong.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I think the market to stream the older titles like Touche Turtle is even smaller than the market to put them on MOD DVD's since the majority of boomers do not stream. WA has indicated that the HB titles sell well for them which is why they continue to release alot of obscure titles as well as known titles. The number of titles they need to sell is far less than at retail level. Touche Turtle is part of the Wally Gator show and is on their radar but they indicated awhile back that it needed alot of remasterting work. It looked poor on boomerang. So I'm confident that show will get a release but probably not until next year. Last year the big 60's titles they indicated they were working on was Secret Squirrel/Atom Ant Show. So we should see that one later this year.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
But streaming will become their preferred method of delivery, there is no denying it. Tossing an old cartoon onto their streaming channel represents a far less investment than releasing a limited run MOD, including a lack of restoration costs if that's how they choose to present it. We can go around and around on it and still just guess at the eventuality. I'm not tying to be contentious, but I have no doubts that most of the vintage titles will head to streaming sooner or later and not as an MOD, regardless of who currently streams and who doesn't. Streaming is the future of home entertainment as far as the studios are concerned. If the Warner channel fails, we will all have to rethink that, but right now they are putting a lot of effort into it succeeding because for them it represents the most ideal way to "share" their product. And note that I said FOR THEM, not necessarily for consumers. So we will just have to see which one of us is proven right. And as I said, I hope I'm wrong since I prefer physical media to streaming, though I use both.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Professor Echo said:
It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Believe me, I would love to be wrong and that there are still years of DVD/Blu releases left, but I'm not too optimistic at this point. And the older some of us boomers get, the less market there is for some of the vintage titles. I can see TOUCHÉ TURTLE being included in a streaming package, but not as a DVD, even an MOD. Like it or not, I just don't think the demographic for those shows is as attractive as it once was, evidenced by the changes we've seen in the Boomerang schedule over the years. Let's hope I'm wrong.
Yes. Rather than streaming replacing DVD, I think it's much more likely that DVD and blu will last until there is some device that can hold 1000s of shows and movies much like an ipod does for songs. Streaming is a bigger threat to cable than to physical media imo.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Professor Echo said:
I have no doubt that everything will be released, but not in the physical media format. Once the Warner Archive streaming channel gains a foothold and streaming itself becomes more widely accepted, you will see the DVD/Blu departments of the WA fade away.I would expect an announcement one of these days that Warners will start an animation streaming channel, maybe under their Cartoon Network or Boomerang brand and THAT'S where the classics will be revived. So I share your optimism, Randy, but in a different way. And ultimately it's not the way I want them released, but it's inevitable, I'm afraid.
You mention streaming but Warner is part of Ultraviolet and they are getting ready to launch the Ultraviolet Common File Format. This new format will be for the collector and will create a download to own market similiar to that of DVD currently. You can store your films in the cloud or on your own server, hard drive or disc of your choosing. This is what Warner is going to. https://uvvu.com/

BTW... The Warner Archive Channel is for stream rental. The studio wants to make more money off of purchases and they will continue that model.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks