Next Generation of Star Trek: TNG Custom Cover Art...

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ric Easton, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

Or, here we go again!

[​IMG]

A Co-HTFer (Andrea W) had sent me a bunch of slim eight disc cases and asked if I could re-size my Next Gen covers. (They don't make seven disc slims yet!)

[​IMG]

These cases from Genesys DTP are only an inch wide, so they take up about half the room as my original set.

Well it turned into more of a major overhaul. It's been almost three years since I started that first TNG set and I think my Photoshop skills have improved a little along the way, so I thought I throw them out there to you guys if you're interested. Here are some previews of the individual covers...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

About Picard's uniform... I always thought the season one and two uniforms looked like pajamas. I don't like them at all. I also wanted the set to have a fairly uniform look and feel to it with reards to the cast, so I thought I would put Picard in his more familiar duds. While Picard looks virtually the same thru all 7 seasons, Riker really fattened up. So I used the second season Riker pic but raised his collar a bit. I know it will throw the die-hards into a tizzy!

Wesley also got added in because even though I used to want Worf to throw him out of an airlock, I've mellowed over the years. The order had to be switched though, to accomodate him.

I couldn't find another good quality cast shot for season four's back, so I strayed from the design, just a little.

Anyway,that's the deal. If you want them you can download them from
    my site.

I'd love to see Genesys DTP get some seven disc cases in the same size. They could loose that front disc position and put in some insert clips. Though, if you have the Best Buy bonus discs, you've got a place to put 'em!

Ric

2. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Beautiful Ric I've been hoping we'd get some slims this size, figures I just get done doing my Voyager Sets. TV On DVD is taking up far too much room, I'd be interrested in combining multiple seasons Like the Shield , Sopranos etc. Anyhow are you doing the Other Treks for the Slim 8's?

3. Mark Maltais

Mark Maltais Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    Wow!!!

I work with photoshop a lot and would not have the patience to do what you did on your own time. Beautiful work!!!

4. KyleC

KyleC Supporting Actor

Ric you know I always love your stuff. However, I think you overdid the stars just a bit. [​IMG] Are you planning on doing B5 or DS9 again? I can't put both B5 and DS9 up on my Ent center cause they're both too wide together. [​IMG]

5. Ric Easton

Thanks guys!

Hmmm, maybe so. I still kinda like the "space is full of stuff" look. Admittedly, I was trying to go for something a little different.

No plans for B5 (there's already a slim version of it) but I do think I may re-visit DS9 and Voyager... probably not until later in the year though. Those covers will probably be closer to their originals (with the exception of a re-arranged spine) I don't think I'm gonna touch my latest version of ST:TOS. With only three covers it would be hard to fit much on the spine if it got to skinny.

Ric

6. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Damn you Ric! Now I have to order different cases so I can have these amazing covers. [​IMG] Bad enough I had to order cases for the OLD covers. [​IMG]

Seriously, nice work. Very very nice!

Anyone know if any company in Canada carries these slim-8's?

7. GarySchrock

GarySchrock Second Unit

I know I'd definitely be interested in slim version of the DS9 and voyager sets. The only thing I don't like about your custom covers are that the cases that they go on are so huge [​IMG]. (Although man they look good sitting on the rack).

8. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Lovely. When the BluRay versions come out only 1 disc thick for each cover, an era that you helped define will truly be past.

9. Ric Easton

Gee, that sounds important! :b I can't wait until I tell my wife I helped define an era and watch her eyes roll!

Who would have thought that we could have whole tv series in the space that we have now? I can't tell you how much shelf space I have gained back from my VHS tapes recorded off the TV! Well, I probably don't have to.

Ric

10. Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth Supporting Actor

Wow! I am very impressed at the detailed art work. I have been a ST:TNG fan since the show came out and I think you came up with the best box art for the series. Much, much better than what Paramount did. Great job!

Can you teach some of us how you did it? I'm serious. It would be great to learn how to make such quality presentations.

11. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

Amazing!

Nice job as usual Ric. I can't wait till you get the other series done. I'll "upgrade" all my covers at the same time.

[​IMG]

12. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

Great work, Ric! I do have one question, though. Since TNG (as well as DS9 and VOY) have had bonus discs included with their respective sets, is there a way you could modify the cover art to include information on the bonus discs? I may just have to get some of those slim-disc packages for my sets! [​IMG]

13. Andrea W

Andrea W Supporting Actor

Sorry for the overexposed background (blinds)...

[​IMG]

BTW, anyone interested in my old STTNG "fat" alpha cases with cover art (pictured on top)? [​IMG]

14. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Damn. That comparison pretty much did me in. That's quite the size difference Andrea!

I gotta find these cases in Canada, if I can. [​IMG]

15. KyleC

KyleC Supporting Actor

As soon as Ric redoes DS9, mine are going in those small cases. I need to reclaim some shelf space badly. [​IMG]

Ric, will your B5 slims fit in those cases?

16. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

Hey Andrea, what's that eighth case for? I presume all of the Best Buy bonus discs? I'd give just about anything for the "Slim Jim" cases! [​IMG]

17. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

I'll take them, if they are free, and include the discs too [​IMG]

On a just slightly more serious note, does having such small cases make anyone feel that perhaps the content isn't worth as much as you paid? I recall the old days (of not so long ago) when computer software still came in big boxes full of mostly air (instead of 20 diskettes and a large bound manual), with the reason given that it makes people feel like they're getting something for their money when it's sitting on the store shelf. Does the downsizing of the spines make it feel like the content value was downsized as well?
    I'm just curious, as I haven't been able to justify the cost of a large set like TNG to myself yet. Seeing that picture with 7 seasons of TNG in the space of roughly 15 movies, but at 3 times the cost, got me thinking.

Oh, and beautiful covers, Ric. I've been eyeing them jealously for quite awhile now.

-- Dave

18. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

I can't tell from the picture, but do those cases require you to stack discs on top of each other (requiring you to remove one disc in order to get to the disc beneath it)?

19. Andrea W

Andrea W Supporting Actor

The genesysdtp 8-disc cases require no overlap/stacking. The shop4tech 8-disc cases (which are just a hair slimmer than the genesysdtp ones) have one less "page flap" so 2 discs overlap on inside the front cover and the back cover.

20. Ric Easton

A lot of trial and error. And about three years of practice. Maybe one of these days I'll try my hand at some tutorials.

Thanks for all the kind comments, gang (and the pix, Andrea!). Like I may have already said, it will probably be a few months until my next downsizing attempt. I have a few other things I want to work on. Watching my growing stack of un-watched DVDs being one of them!

Ric