What's new

Next Generation DLP - 12 Degrees...What Else? (1 Viewer)

Matthew Will

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,
Could someone please explain to me what the 12 degree angle is referring too? I'm sure it is about how much each mirror angles itself when reflecting the light. Then how does reflecting 12 degrees that much better than 10?

Here are some questions that bug me however about DLP's.

1. If increasing the color wheel speed obviously helps reduce rainbows then why dont all new colorwheels come out with at least 5X? I would imagine they could even make a 10X. Obviously there are electric motors out there that can spin a wheel at incredible speeds and since the mirrors in DLP can be switched on and off thousands of times a second I see no reason why increasing wheel speed would be hard.
2. Another thing besides increasing actual wheel speed would be to just divide the wheel into more color sections besides just three. I realize some already do this but what is so hard about doing this for all projectors?

It just sounds to me that a lot about increasing wheel speed is just a computer code to control the mirrors at the new speed. Makes me mad that projectors with 5X color wheels have to be thousands of dollars more. Am I forgetting something that could explain this and make me look stupid? Matt

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Why not just ask for world peace and Saddam to surrender while your at it??? This would not be to hard to do either...

Matthew Will

Stunt Coordinator
Ha! Well if you want me to sure...world peace should also be included with every purchase of a Dell 3200. I just know Dell can solve that too.

Am I really asking all that much? I still think its just a computer code that needs to be written to accept the fast color wheels. Dell must have plenty of people that can write code for them. So then is a 5X color wheel really worth thousands of dollars more in each projector? Oh man. Someone flame me. Matt

Matthew Will

Stunt Coordinator
So then what would be the difference in mirrors between a DLP projector with a 2X colorwheel and one with a 5X color wheel. I doubt they can lighten each individual mirror so it moves more freely considering there are millions and are extremely small. Are you sure its in the mirrors? Matt

RANDY FISHER

Second Unit
I am not sure what to say about the color wheel questions. I don't know why they don't just make faster, more segment, color wheels on all DLP projectors. Could be a cost issue? As for the 12 deg tilt, it helps the micro-mirrors better reflect the light away from the chip when the mirror is in it's off state, thus increasing black levels. Black levels being the largest limitation of any fixed pixel type diplay. Also, the new 12 deg. miror tilt DLP chips use TI's "Dark Metal" process. It coats the chip with a dark color substrate to further enhance black levels.

Randy

sean_pecor

Stunt Coordinator
Here is a cool page that helps demonstrate the color wheel in action:

http://twentysix.net/HLM507W/colorwheel/

Modern DLP (4x) color wheels rotate at 7200 rpm. I suspect that heat dissipation and structural integrity issues emerge with faster speeds. Remember, "stuck" pixels are an issue in a certain percentage of DLP units, and this failure rate is bound to increase when you speed up the wheel.

Also, 4x isn't spinning faster than 2x, but there are another set of rgb segments on the wheel. So, both 2x and 4x are spinning at 7200rpm.

Sean.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks