What's new

Newsgroup mentality in the gaming area (1 Viewer)

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
As a casual video game player, I usually like to to read the Gaming Area of the HTF. However as of now, certain indivduals have turned it into a flamewar type atmosphere, with childish "My system is gonna destroy your pathetic system!" nonsense that is usually found in newsgroups, and using personal attacks against other members, in direct violation of Forum policy. Anybody else have a problem with this?

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Richard,
Let me first thank your for your e-mails to me earlier specificaly about such problems, problems I am all to aware of. I'm spending a lot of time in the gaming areas these days, my interest in videogames has peeked thanks to the forthcoming Gamecube and X-Box releases, an interest that's really not been in me since the old SNES days. In light of this, I refuse to watch the gaming area (an area of the HTF I am honoured to be in charge of alongside Mike) become like a newsgroup.
Myself and Mike Voigt are well aware of the numerous, and tiresome, arguments in the gaming forums, specificaly hardware, and we're working to ensure the rules in that section are clear. I'm hoping today, I have got the message across and I will continue to do so in future.
Cheers,
Dan (UK)
[Edited last by Dan Brecher on August 30, 2001 at 03:29 PM]

John Miles

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a little unclear on why these areas are even on the HTF. There are so many newsgroups and web forums for video/PC gaming, it's not even funny. I say hose 'em and let After Hours have the bandwidth. :)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
John,
Bjørn's pretty much got the idea regarding their existence. Also now with current, and indeed future, video games consoles embracing DVD technology, progressive scan and 5.1 output...etc, it's felt discussion on the topics should have a home here.
Dan (UK)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, and people like Ric P, Tino and myself have had informative discussions over there that have helped with our choices in video game purchases, etc.
I hate to say it though, but certain mentalities are drawn to certain sections more than others which is why you end up with 12 year old attitudes in Gaming and 30 year old attitudes in DIY, etc.
I think many of us who think of HTF as our one-stop shop for all our entertainment needs like these sections to be there, but there are some who have little to offer or share with other members in terms of HT yet love to frequent Gaming, After Hours and maybe Movies.
What can you do, you know?
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks