What's new

!!!! NEWS FLASH !!!! Warner to release SOUTH PARK in SEASON SETS (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
What would be really fantastic would be to go to 6 episodes per disc, then the first box could be 4 discs that cover the original 6 discs.
Then those who already have the first six discs could just start buying after the first box.
And anybody so anal retentive as to need the packaging to match deserves to have to repurchase the early episodes. :D
I doubt that most South Park fans who currently have DVD players own the first discs.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Speaking as someone who has the six proper releases, I'd prefer to start with a boxed set of season 1 and go from there. I don't like individual discs as much as I like nice clean seasons.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
It's been a long time since I've thought of WB in a positive light. This is great news - hopefully a sign of more good news to come.

-Dave

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Good stuff. For something like Batman: TAS, I support single disc, in order, releases. But for something with clear, consistent seasons like South Park, Season Sets are the way to go. As for previous disc owners, perhaps they could release a seperate set to finish Season Two in addition to the new box sets.

John_McKittrick

Stunt Coordinator
I just hope they don't release them every 6 months, more like every 2-3. That way it won't take long to catch up to the current shows.

John

Rob T

Screenwriter
Great news! I hope Warner will do the same for all of its other popular shows, especially Batman: The Animated Series.
I'd support box sets of B:TAS with 20 episodes (or so) at a time, but not season box sets since it didn't really have a consistent number of episodes per season.

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
/me falls over and starts going into convulsions!

Has anyone measured the temperature in hell yet?

This is great news indeed! Now if I can squeeze these in behind TNG I will be a happy camper!

DanHaya

Second Unit
Frankly, I'm not going to bother with buying the new discs unless they continue with the 4-episode volumes they've already started. I think it's only fair to those of us who spent the money on those assuming that they would continue with that format throughout the length of the series. Otherwise, I will stick to watching them on my PC in RealVideo format (I have the entire series in that format).

--Dan

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
And anybody so anal retentive as to need the packaging to match deserves to have to repurchase the early episodes.
I would just rather reduce my shelf space. It's already pretty crowded, and I suspect three season sets might fit in the space already occupied by the six current volumes - the most episodes in a season is 18 in season 2.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Now that WB has decided to FINALLY release South Park on DVD in season sets - in original broadcast order... people are complaining that they might do it in season boxes rather than individual 4-episode discs???!!! What is this? You get what you want and you keep complaining.

If WB makes a break with their current mode of release, I'm fine with however they choose to do it... 4 disc season boxes, or 4 episode discs with the episodes in order. I am not going to fault them for making either decision (though I'd prefer a season box). The least we can do after WB caters to our request is to support them in their decision. Skip season 1 if you want to. Consider this a new project. It need not "match" your prior releases. And if WB starts with Season 1 in a season box they will get more sales. Seasons sell far better than episodes, and they've finally learned this.

Check out the Friends situation if you want a clue as to what will be happening. 4 Best of releases that I assume didn't do well. Season 1 came out in a boxed set of 4 discs. Any refund for people who have parts of Season 1 in the prior sets? Any consideration that they should simply skip those episodes in this release? NO. Be realistic.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
....it's Christmastime in Hell!!!!
I've boycotted all the SP discs so far, so personally I'm hoping for box sets starting with season one. :D

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Of course, as I'm sure you realized as you typed it- that "Friends" is an apples-to-oranges comparison. SP had already been properly packaged and released in 6 volumes, and the releases simply stopped at that point. While I can certainly see an appeal to new season sets- I think it would be equally logical to simply pick up with volume 7 as collectors had always assumed would occur.

My only point was, I had zero problem with how the series was handled initially on DVD (and if you read the feedback thread, that seems to be a majority opinion, if not a consensus)...

If they simply plan to re-release the exact same materials over again in new packaging while making us wait another year to catch up to where we were already-- I'd be much happier to have them just give me volume 7-9. Personal opinion.

But, of course, if they actually have any intention of putting any effort into the series (which I truly hope they will)- I have no objection to getting brand spanking new DVDs (with working subtitles and/or closed captions) in season box sets.

Also, of note in this particular discussion, is that South Park by season might be a bit uneven, as contractual obligations for a "season" has changed over the years...

Season 1: 13 episodes

Season 2: 18 episodes

Season 3: 17 episodes

Season 4: 17 episodes

Season 5: 14 episodes

Season 6: 6 episodes (so far)

Either way, I'm glad they've seen the errors of their ways. However I'm not nearly as thrilled about repackaged stuff they already released as I am for either newly packaged new stuff, or a return to the original releases.

-Vince

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Sweeeeeeet!!!!! "Why yes, Polly Prissypants, I would like some more season sets....how 'bout you Peter Panda?". :D

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Another bunch of discs to add to my growing list! The only SP disc I own, beside the movie, is the one with the Terrence and Phillip Episode that has never been repeated. Must viewing for fans of the movie and my favorite episode overall. :emoji_thumbsup:

Aaron Croft

Stunt Coordinator
Season Set's should be created as Season Set's regaurdless of how prior releases were treated. They barely made it through 1 1/2 seasons as it was, why make the entire 5 season set based on these releases? Didin't the original discs only have like 4 episodes per disc? These episodes are only about 22 minutes long, couldn't they fit quite a bit more than that on a disc considering they don't exactly have to use much room for advanced audio or a high bit-rate considering the source?

I think those who bought the original discs did a dis-service to the fans who boycotted them (like myself). I mean no offense by that statment, but to request that the rest of the series be released in such a ridiculously in-efficient manner as the original "sets" to me is only hurting the cause.

Anyways, HURRAY!

I say we post a poll "Should the South Park Season Set's continue with a similar format as the original sets?"

-Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks