What's new

Newer DVDs and startup behavior... (1 Viewer)

CRyan

Screenwriter
I just rented a DVD for the first time in a Looooong time. I put it in and realized I could not jump forward or select the menu or anything. I certainly remember being prevented from doing this previously but this time it was insane (to me at least). The previews kept going and going and inlcuded a bluray demonstration, many movie previews, a preview for a video game, a preview for a show on ABC Family, etc. It went on forever!

Do they have different pressings for rental and purchased DVDs now? Anyway, I decided (maybe 5 minutes in) that would be quicker to just rip the friggen thing (I am guessing I was right). I NEVER rip rentals actually but I felt like I was pushed to do so. The movie sucked anyway. So I guess the question is this the norm now for DVD???

I cannot imagine actually owning a DVD like that. Having to watch that mess for 10 minutes or so EVERY time you wanted to watch the movie. Just horrible.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
No, that is not the norm. But there are some DVD's and Blu-rays that do this. Were you hitting the skip ahead button or the FF/search button? Next time, hit the FF/search button on the remote. Most times it will FF thru that crap.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Yea that was the thing. It would not allow me to FF or skip or title-menu past it. I was litterally stuck watching every second of it. The movie was "Life as We Know It." I threw it in a Win7 computer and before ripping it, I tried Media Player. It wouldn't even allow me to use the mouse to move the progress bar forward.

At least I am glad to know that it is not that common but still...

Patrick Mason

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
"Rental" versions of new releases are becoming pretty standard, with forced trailers at the front of the disc in addition to the disc being scrubbed of all special features. In some cases even chapter selection menus are removed. The whole practice is a bit odd to me, as I'm not going to buy a movie I've never seen simply because a blooper reel is missing or don't want to wait for trailers.

CRyan

Screenwriter
So you are confirming there are in fact separate pressings for rental and purchased DVDs?

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
There definitely is different pressings. As mentioned I have rented several from the redbox that have all special features removed.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Interesting. I had no idea - Must be relatively new. Thanks! At least I know now people who buy dont have to put up with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks