Newbie with a setup question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by ugaz71, Dec 2, 2012.

1. ugaz71

ugaz71 Auditioning

Ok so last night I saw my friends new system and he had BIC RTR http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B00009WBYI/ref=aw_d_cr_electronics?qid=1354468334&sr=8-1 a pair being pushed by a Sony str520 amp. It sounded awesome. Is this amp something you would use to push them? I think I am going to do the same setup unless anyone has any other recommendations. I am just looking for loud good sound and it fit pretty well. Open to any suggestions. Thanks

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    The BIC RTR are efficient speakers.
    Every single amp/AVR created will push 8ohm efficient speakers. Even a Sony.

3. ugaz71

ugaz71 Auditioning

Sorry I didn't word that the way I wanted. I meant is this amp ok or should I use a PA system amp? I am very new to this please bear with me. Trying to do my research on this in the meantime

4. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    A standard amp/receiver is the right driver for those speakers. The Sony is fine.

5. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    To put it another way: how "loud" a system gets is much more a function of the efficiency of the speakers than of the wattage of the receiver/amp behind them.

If you have efficient speakers like those BICs, then it really doesn't matter what you have powering them.