Newbie with a HT question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by MJLW40, May 8, 2012.

1. MJLW40

MJLW40 Auditioning

I'm moving into a new house with a finished basement and the perfect room for a theater. I don't need anything hi-tech but i would like something decent. So far, I've found a Optoma HD 23 projector, Boise HD23 inwall speakers, 2 pair and I have a friend building me a screen.
    just wanted to ask someone if the items i've selected are decent products for a newbie. Also, can someone tell me where to purchase the light dimming system that will allow the lights to dim when you press play on the remote.
    Thanks,
    MJ

2. Martino

Martino Supporting Actor

Martin O.
    Tried looking those up....did not find anything...
    Is it Bose in wall speakers?
    Looking those up - found these - running for $300.00 a pair....$600.00 for the two pair for your system...
    http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/speakers/stereo_speakers/191_speakers/index.jsp&perfsourceid=K9677&src=K9677
    Want to double check if that is what you are talking about - and if it is, would strongly suggest you look around and find a better deal.
    For example - if you have to have in wall speakers for some reason, you can do a lot better staying away from bose...
    Something like these - that run $180.00 pair (360.00 for 2 pairs - saving you $240.00)...would be a better use of your money if you have to have inwall speakers...
    http://www.htd.com/Products/high-definition/HD-W80-in-wall-speakers
    If you don't actually need in-wall speakers - you can give us a budget and we will let you know what a good setup would be.....
    They also sell a single speaker for $90.00 - to use as a center channel - so you can have a 5.0 system
    http://www.htd.com/Products/Single-HD-In-Wall-Ceiling-Speakers/HD-W80-E
    If you are set on your in-walls - you can use the $240.00 saved and buy a receiver to go with your speakers....

3. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Why are you using in-wall speakers? Whenever I ask people this, it's usually because of "the wife". If so, you need to talk some sense into her.

4. MJLW40

MJLW40 Auditioning

Martino, you're correct that was the speakers. Thanks for the link; I'll definitely not go with the 600 dollars Bose speakers.

5. MJLW40

MJLW40 Auditioning

Jim Mcc,
    Honestly man, I don't know, I just thought it looked better having them flush inside the wall. I actually have a poineer surround sound speaker system on stands but thougth since I was building a home theater I should go with the in wall speakers.
    so, I assume from your message that it really doesn't matter.
    I appreciate your words of wisdom, what do you have in your theater?

6. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    I agree with you that in-wall speakers do look good and low key, but they compromise sound quality. One problem is the lack of versatility in the future. For instance if you ever want to move the speakers or screen, or get a larger screen. You're stuck with the speakers where they are. You would have to remove them, patch the drywall, and start over. If your room is such that you don't think you'll ever move the speakers, go with what looks good and use in-wall speakers. On each side of my projector screen I have a bookshelf speaker, and my center speaker sits on a small shelf.