What's new

Newbie Subwoofer Question (1 Viewer)

Eddie_B

Auditioning
I have read the beginner's prime and have most likely overlooked the answer. I feel like I'm trying to learn a new language when I read that stuff so I apologize if this is a stupid question.
I have a 250 watt definitive technology subwoofer that makes a loud "pop" sound when it is unplugged and I would really like to know if this is normal or harmful and if harmful - why? My electrical sockets in the house are loose, that's why the sub gets unplugged sometimes.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
Unless it is a loud clack or slapping noise from the voice coil former hitting the backing plate then it is probably ok. I am guessing it is some sort of clipping noise instead. Try pressing on the driver and if it moves smoothly without grinding then it is fine.

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
Mine do the same thing......hasn't caused any problems. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Can you turn if off before unplugging it?

I’m not really sure why anyone would be worried about this. Why would anyone be unplugging their sub all the time anyway?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Andy Hardin

Stunt Coordinator
This usually happens in car audio more than Home Theater (since car amps *do* lose their power, newer amps have "anti-pooping technology"). It never caused too much of a problem though.

This could cause damage over a very long period of time, but I wouldn't be too worried about it. If you are, take the advice of turning the sub off before unplugging it. Or, find a way to use it where you are not disconnecting power all of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks