What's new

Newbie Reciever Advice Wanted... (1 Viewer)

Don Morrison

Agent
I am looking into buying my first receiver and am looking for some advice so that I can make a "smart" or "good" buy that will last me several years. I am looking to spend $500 or less. All the other components that I have are Sony right now, but that it not something that really has any bearing on my decision unless it happens to be the best buy. Can someone please give me some suggestions. I know that the Denon 1802 is a decent low budget receiver and that Sony also has a DPL II, DTS, DD out for around $299 or so. Alot of people are raving about the Onkyo 595. I just don't really know where to start. What do I need to look for? What do you mean when you say "make sure it is upgradable"? Please Help...

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Upgrades = 6 channel in's and pre-amp outs.

In's for DVD-Audio and / or SACD, or another surround format not built into the box.

Amp outs for connecting to larger amps in the future. (More important, if you ask me)

Beyond that, look at specs, find the S&V "real power" spreadsheet, and ask a lot of questions. Think about the future (Component switching necessary? HD compatible?).

Look at build quality, not in the foo foo buttons but the power supply, etc. Don't worry TOO much if you hate the remote, universals are getting cheaper all the time.

Think about the room you'll use it in. How loud you play things.

75 watts are the same as 100 in real world sound (1.5db), so don't get hung up on that.

Good luck, take your time.

- C

Don Morrison

Agent
From what I have looked at so far (research, etc.), I am leaning toward a Denon 1802. Is $339 a good price for this receiver. Should I wait for the 1803 to come out in Fall?

On my list of receiver to do more research on are:

Denon 1802 (i like the 2802 but it is out of my budget)
Sony STR DE1075
Yamaha RX V630

Are there any others I should add to the list, or any of these I should take off?

Also, for just a beginner like me, would a HTiB be a decent buy for now, until I figure out what I really like?

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
You really need to do a search for this. There have been at least 2 or 3 threads in the past 2 weeks covering this sort of subject. Just search for something like "budget receiver" or "receiver $500". This should help you alot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks