What's new

Newbie question - RP LCD's vs. RP CRT's (1 Viewer)

Kevin Goodwin

Stunt Coordinator
Could somebody educate me, or point me towards a good FAQ comparing LCD performance vs. CRT's? I'm just curious -- I was at Best Buy today browsing through the HDTV section, and really liked the look of the rear projection LCD sets. They seemed to look the best from wide viewing angles, which would work well with my family room (20' wide by about 14' deep), and I just liked the pictures better. I haven't bought a new TV since 1995, when I bought my 32" Toshiba, so I haven't paid a lot of attention, other than I would like a widescreen set in maybe the next year.

What are the pros & cons, other than price? Life expectency of the set?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
For serious viewing, especially with movies, CRT is the way to go. But they are heavy, and finicky.

Kevin Goodwin

Stunt Coordinator
Care to elaborate as to why CRT is better? Just better resolution? I wasn't that impressed with the picture in the store, so I'm curious.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Far better picture quality than LCDs, IMO. You need to view in a proper viewing environment, not in a brightly lit store.

James R. Geib

Stunt Coordinator
One of the main bones of contention with the currently available LCD displays on the market is their lack of ability to produce a true black. One of the most important abilities for a display device to reproduce a good film-like image is the ability to reproduce good black levels. This is what gives a better, three-dimensional look to a properly calibrated CRT RPTV as compared to an LCD IN MY OPINION.

LCD is improving, but on many displays, what should be black is really a very dark gray, and the picture looses the three-dimensional look.

However, if you like the image offered by LCD, don't let other people's opinions sway you! Buy it. There are good and bad points with every display technology out there. CRT rear displays have to be tweaked frequently to maintain their image quality, and LCD is easier to set up and forget about. More time to enjoy the movies!

CRT RPTV's also have less of a viewing angle and need a dimply lit room to really shine. A list of limitations could be made for every display technology out there today (CRT, OLED, DLP, LCD, LcOS, Plasma, etc...) You just have to find the one that fits your viewing habits and environment the best. Any of them will be a compromise in one area or another.

Do some searching on Google and you'll find plenty of technical information on CRT versus LCD. Just type 'CRT versus LCD' in the search box.

James

Kevin Goodwin

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, my room at home isn't really a "proper viewing environment," so if it looks better in the store, it'll probably be better for my family room, which has quite a few windows. At least, during the daytime, anyway. Eventually, I'll finish my basement, and have a more proper HT room, but with the wide viewing angle of my room, LCD looks to be favorable, at least for the moment.

However, the more I research, the more I'm intrigued by LCoS displays. I might have to hold out for one of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks