What's new

Newbie question: DirecTiVo with HD receiver? (1 Viewer)

Angel Pagan

Second Unit
I just posted this question over on the AVS Forum and since I need as much help as I can get, I'm posting it here also.

I've done various searches on this subject but haven't found a direct answer. I recently purchased a HDTV-ready monitor and am looking forward to watching HD television. Although the attacks on 9/11 has left us New Yorkers with only HBO transmitting HD (I could be wrong on this), I'm still craving for anything in HD so I want to go with DirecTV. Also, I don't get YES network through my cable company (Cablevision). I've had a stand-alone TiVo unit now for over a year and am very interested in getting a DirecTiVo unit.

So, here's my question: What's the best way to get HD signal going into a DirecTiVo receiver? I assume that there isn't a HDTV/TiVo combo receiver cause I haven't found anything to support this. Should I be looking into an HDTV receiver and just settle for my stand-alone TiVo or go with a DirecTiVo and a seperate HD receiver? I'm sorry if this has been asked many times before. Like I said, I've done numerous searches but didn't come away with a straight answer. I'm new to the satelitte world and am confused when I read about elliptical dish, 5x8 multi-switch, dual LNB, etc. What are these and how would they benefit my needs?

Thanks for any and all help.

Angel

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm new to the satelitte world and am confused when I read about elliptical dish, 5x8 multi-switch, dual LNB, etc. What are these and how would they benefit my needs?
A dual LNB is the thing attached to the end of the dish arm that actually converts the satellite signal to electrical signals. The dual part describes the number of outputs. DirecTV operates three satellites (only two are transmitting currently) located at different postions in the sky. The eliptical dish can receive signals from all three satellites. Multi-switches have many uses. First they increase the number of outputs from a dish. This is the x4, x8 or x16 number. Second, it switches between different satellite signals. A 5 input model switches between two satellite signals using four of the inputs. The extra (5th) input is used to combine OTA signals onto the same coax cable with the sat signals.

-Robert

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
Robert is right about no HDTV recording by TiVo, but for non-HD satellite recording, there's a lot to be gained with TiVo in the same box with DirecTV, namely that the digital, compressed program can be recorded without first decompressing it and converting it to analong and then reversing the process, which is what would happen with separate boxes. Also, I believe the Dolby Digital soundtrack is recordable only if the two are combined.

None of this applies to HDTV, as Robert said.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Marc, you forgot my favorite feature of the DirecTivo. The dual tuner. After setting up thirty season passes, I couln't record everything I want without two tuners.

-Robert

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
I gave up trying to have my two HD reciever pump the HD anamorphic signals via the s-video (yeah not HD) to my replay boxes. That worked and looked pretty good, but it was a pain to do because no one supports sending sub-channel info from replay or tivo to external boxes. (I wish they would!)

So, recording HD 199 and HBO work, but it's not really worth the trouble.

Does the Dish6000 have this feature?

Angel Pagan

Second Unit
I keep reading about the RCA DTC100. Is this the best HD receiver for the price? Also, do I have to purchase another package (with an additional dish) or can I just pick a receiver?

Angel

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Since you picked the eliptical dish with your DirecTivo package, you just need to buy a receiver. Most eliptical dishes come standard with four outputs. You can connect a DirecTivo and an HD receiver and still have room to expand.

The DTC-100 was the first DirecTV HD receiver on the market. It has proven itself but is doesn't have the bells and whistles some of the newer models have. It also doesn't have all of the bugs newer receivers have either.

You haven't mentioned antennas yet. The most popular right now is the Radio Shack Double Bow-Tie. It's an inexpensive UHF only antenna. It's small enough to sit on your TV or it can be mounted in an attic.

-Robert

Angel Pagan

Second Unit
I didn't know I had to get an antenna. What's the purpose of this antenna if, supposedly, DirecTV delivers all the channels I choose in a package? Also, those 2 links mention the packages but doesn't mention TiVo having the ability to record 2 shows at once.

Thanks Robert,

Angel

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Also, those 2 links mention the packages but doesn't mention TiVo having the ability to record 2 shows at once.
Which 2 links? The two links that I gave were for high def receiver examples. The Tivo links you gave do have have very good descriptions. I have a DirecTivo and it definitely records two shows at once. You have to run two coax cables to the dish or switch to get this functionality but it is worth it.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks