What's new

Newbie needs some connection help (1 Viewer)

Brad S T

Auditioning
I recently moved to a new house with a TV "hole" above the fireplace. The contractor installed 3 RG6 cables, a speaker wire and a Cat 5 wire from this hole to the side wall in the room (none of these have end connectors on them). Additionally, the contractor installed the 2 front and 2 rear speaker wires, also exiting on the side wall. I want to purchase a 36 or 40 inch HDTV to fill the hole, but since it will difficult to move the TV in and out of the hole to connect the wiring, I want to get it right the first time.

I plan to stack my reciever, DVD and cable box on the side wall. Out of my reciever I can run component video, s- video or composite video. I plan to use the installed speaker wire for the center channel speaker.

Can I use the 3 RG6 cables as component video cable? Or should I run (25 ft) a purchased component video cable? or s-video? or both?

If I don't use the RG6 for video, can I run R and L audio back to the TV to use the TV speaker if I don't want the listen from the wall speakers (ie. the news or the kids watching cartoons)?

Thanks for your help

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
RG6 will make a very good interconnect for your component run. I have done this in both my old and new setups with great success. Also, I have used it for subwoofer cable, and composite runs as well. My current components are 32ft long. Simply use F-RCA adaptors on each end.

Dennis Ho

Auditioning
hi brad,
What is a TV Hole above your fireplace?
What does it look like. What kind of tv did you put there? Do you have pictues? Is it a wood burning fire place?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks