What's new

Newbie needs help on selecting VIDEO UNIT (1 Viewer)

Armando Llanes

Auditioning
Real Name
Armando Llanes
We pretty much decided to go with a front projector for our Home Theater/Living Room. Could someone recomend what is our best option for a front projector on a cost/quality basis? What is the best one can buy without overspending?

Advice Appreciated!

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
What is your budget?
What is your room like?
What will you be viewing?
What are your viewing preferences?
What is the light control situation like?
How large a screen?
What are the sources?
etc etc

Also, there is a display section of the forum.

Armando Llanes

Auditioning
Real Name
Armando Llanes
We would like to spend no more than $2,800.

Our room is rectangle all concrete about 10 ft wide x 18 ft long.

We would mostly be watching movies and some regular regular TV shows.

The room has no windows, only french doors that lead to the back yard but have blackout curtains. I understand that for front projectors dark is better but would also like to watch regualr TV shows without the room being too dark.

The maximun screen size that can fit is 70 inches wide. Height is not a problem. There's a door on the wall where ths screen will go and therefore limits the screen space to 70 inches wide.

I have a 7.1 channel Dennon AV Receiver and Paradigm speakers.

David-Wright

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david wright
Chosing a projector

I don't want to give a plug to any particular web page (unless maybe I can get an ad for them). But Projector Central is a great place to research your projector.

Basically I watch the different price points and then see how they move.The main characteristic I am watching is the resolution versus the price. So right now a 800x600 resolution projector starts at about $800. Don't think that becasue this is the lowest point that these projectors can't be good enough to make a convincing home theater. My projector was 600x480 and was OK but I would have killed for a 800x600.

These different resolutions all have unique names. (related to computer monitors). Remember your fist VGA monitor? So 800x600 is SVGA. You don't need to become an expert at all of the different names just keep in mind that more is generally better but also there is a point where you may not be able to tell a difference.

This is part of an article I wrote about choosing a projector
. It is on my site about doing affordable HT. I am not trying to post SPAM but I think I have covered a lot of the topics you might have questions about.

Most of the basic stuff is under Feature Articles with topics ranging from, What kind of Display, to What Kind Of Screen.

Check it out if you get a chance.

Armando Llanes

Auditioning
Real Name
Armando Llanes
Thanks for the info David-Wright. I will definitely go check out your article right now!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks