What's new

Newbie needs advice (1 Viewer)

jonnyMa

Agent
Ok I am new to this and I have little or no clue. This site is quite a resource but all the info is a bit overwhelming to say the least. Basically im moving house and im going to have a room to myself to make into a tv room(I wouldnt go so far as to call it a home theatre). Its a perfectly rectangular room with one window to the front and I can pretty much do what I like. Great no constraints....well actually one constraint. The budget of around $4500( for the system not including furniture and decor). Basically I watch dvds and digital tv exclusively and will be upgrading to hdtv after a while. Im no expert on this so a big screen, good quality picture and decent sound with a bit of ooomph should do me fine. I was veering towards a 50inch rear projection lcd tv but heard some bad things and was recommended a projector. But projectors seem more complex and im a bit overwhelmed by them.

Basically any advice on the direction I should be going is much appreciated e.g. projector or tv? what sort of sound sytem? Im really confused and lost at the moment. Please help.

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator
Welcome to the forum!

What do you have now? Or what are you accustomed to now? with a $4500 budget you should be able to piece together a decent sound. I'd look at Onkyo, HK, or maybe Pioneer for a decent receiver for $500-$750 and try to spend the rest on speakers. The difference between $500 receiver and the $1000 receiver is usually little more than bells and whistles. And going up in price the difference is less per dollar.
If you need a DVD player, I'd look at one that is also a DVR with HDD, Cable box and possibly even one that has Ethernet connection and TV guide. I'm happy with mine so far, I just need to spend about a week and figure out all the functions.
I am not an expert on anything in particular, I'd figure out my budget and what you really want from your system and post in the individual topics for Amps, Speakers, etc.. You will get a lot more responses there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks