What's new

Newbie looking for an experts help (1 Viewer)

Eldari

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew Niner
My JVC TH-M505 finally died and after some perusing online I finally went for a Sony STRDH520 receiver and Pioneer SW-8MK2 Andrew Jones Subwoofer. I am currently using the center, front, and rear speakers from my old JVC TH-M505 HTIB.
I have been offered Panaray MA12's by Bose, up to 8 of them for free if I want them. There are also 2 - Renkus-Heinz TRC61's available for free as well. So having almost no home theater knowledge other than basic troubleshooting and hookup....
Will the speakers I'm being offered work with my new receiver
Will they outperform my current leftover htib speakers
Which speakers should be used for what
Should I keep this sub and receiver? I have 20 days to return them, paid 119.99 for the sub and 149.99 for the receiver with price match at best buy
http://worldwide.bose.com/pro/en_us/web/panaray_ma12_modular_line_array_loudspeaker/page.html - Panaray MA12's
http://support.jvc.com/consumer/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027222&pathId=30&page=2&archive=true - JVC TH-M505
https://www.renkus-heinz.com/loudspeakers/series/legacy_loudspeakers/trc/trc61.html - Renkus-Heinz TRC61's
http://tinyurl.com/c8ap9y2 - Pioneer Subwoofer
http://tinyurl.com/c2lyckv - Sony Receiver

Eldari

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew Niner
Living Room size is approx 24x12 and it is 2 stories high
Couch and tv are oriented facing each other against the 24' walls, approx 10' from viewer to tv
DVR and PS3 are my only two sources.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Sure, you can use those Panaray if you want absolutely no frequency range. But free is always good till you can buy something.
And those JVC speakers are 4ohm...
Considering how inefficient they are, you'll over stress the Sony.
Those Renkus-Heinz aren't bad. I would take those.

Eldari

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew Niner
Are the panarays better than the jvc's?
I'm not sure what you mean about the frequency/inefficient comment. I'm an it guy with almost zero a/v knowledge ... No idea whether the 4ohm comment was good or bad either..

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The Panaray is better than the JVC HTiB speakers....but that isn't much of a benchmark. The Panaray are NOT meant for surround sound. They are meant for large venue background music.
Will they work? Yes.
Will they be an improvement over your JVC and its speakers? Yes(especially when you add in the real AVR you bought)
Speakers present an OHM load(look it up on Google) which is resistance. The lower the ohm load, the more power is achieved...but.
Not all amps are capable of the "non-resistance" presented by a 4 ohm speaker. Certainly not the bottom rung Sony. So, no...do not, even for a minute...use those JVC with your Sony.
The major issue with the Panaray. They only produce sound between 150hz and 14,000hz(I looked them up once, and it wasn't 20hz to 20khz, not even close). That is why they are a "large venue sound reinforcement" speaker. Even when you lump them with "other large venue sound reinforcement" speakers...they still aren't very good.
But, you started with a craptastic JVC HTiB. Anything is an improvement...even the Panaray.

Eldari

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew Niner
schan1269 said:
Not all amps are capable of the "non-resistance" presented by a 4 ohm speaker. Certainly not the bottom rung Sony. So, no...do not, even for a minute...use those JVC with your Sony.
Hmm.. I've been using them for a few days now and watched a couple action movies and didn't notice any issues, what exactly will happen if they are used together?
Also where should the Renkus-Heinz be utilized? Front or Rear?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Sony AVR are not 4ohm stable. Unless you listen very softly, the AVR will eventually go into protection...till you get 6ohm or higher speakers.
There is no way I'd use the Panaray on the front channel, so the R-H have to go front.

Eldari

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew Niner
A guy down the street from me is moving and has "Kenwood JL-703 three way 140watts speakers" for 60$ is that a good deal?
Also I am considering returning the subwoofer and buying this one that was suggested on another forum, what do you guys think?
Dayton SUB-1200

Eldari

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew Niner
schan1269 said:
Any floor standing speaker is worth $60.
The Pio AJ sub is overpriced for what you get.
They are used, but its 2 of those for 60$
I realize the pioneer one is overpriced, I was asking if that dayton one is what I should go with as a replacement or would anyone recommend something around that price that would outperform it

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Used....which I knew what you meant as that series of Kenwood hasn't been produced for more than 15 years...
Any floor standing speaker is worth $60/pair.
Any bookshelf speaker is worth $30/pair.
Even Bose. I'd take a pair of Bose 601 for $60...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks