What's new

Newbie IL60/speaker question (1 Viewer)

John Sand

Grip
Yes, the receiver is in 2 channel...unfortunately. Hopefully it is the receiver! I can fix that easy enough though. Thanks for the help guys. Sorry for all the newbie questions! You guys are great.

When I have the new receiver hooked up, I'll run the RABOS and see what happens.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
As I suspected, it looks like the receiver you're using is expecting it's matching subwoofer to be plugged in, so it's filtering all the low bass out of the main channels. I doubt there's any setting available to correct this.

I get readings right down to 20Hz with mine.

John Sand

Grip
So, I got a AVR130(stop the snickering) to demo and am debating which is better. Using the sub out to each speaker or what....

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Bingo....

I'd run the speaker level input and not the line level. That way you can treat the IL60 as a full range system yet still utilize the RABOS.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
That's what I'm doing right now Tony, but I worry about the 150Hz crossover point. My ears don't really hear a difference though - no messed up soundstage or 'floating' male vocals.

Yet still I worry. Why?! :)

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Well because the sub crossover is a particularly high 150Hz, whereas 80Hz is the 'golden rule'. Lower bass frequencies that are still considered 'localizable' are being shot out to the sides and several feet lower than the 6.5" woofer. Theoretically, at least, your ears can detect that. Bass frequencies below 80Hz are consider non-localizable - you can't really tell where they're coming from.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Maybe. But there are many full range speakers with side mounted woofers that run them much higher than 150, (take a look at some of the Vienna Acoustics like the Mahler where it's crossed over to the side mounted woofers at 200hz, 6db per octave) and that shouldn't be an issue. With the wavelengths involved, 150 hz with a steep slope, should blend extremely well. The 80 hz rule, presupposes that the sub is going to be a considerable distance from the mains (on the order of many feet).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.