What's new

Newbie cable question (1 Viewer)

JimWh

Auditioning
Hello,

Great site! I’ve leaned a lot searching through the forums.

Total newb to HD and the like. Upgrading video half of audio/video system and have a question regarding long cable runs. One question I couldn't find the answer to is how long of a run can I make with component video cable without degradation? I need to run about 30-40 feet. I will not be utilizing HD right away, but intend to in the near future. I’m assuming component cables are the way to go? Should I run anything else at the same time for future formats? I’m going into and under the floor up into the other side of the room.

I’m looking at the Mitsubishi 52825 and either a Marantz DV7600 or Pioneer DV79AVI. Any comments on those units are welcome. I will utilize my current Marantz AV9000 (please don’t laugh, it will be replaced eventually), which only accommodates component.

Thanks in advance,
jw

John S

Senior HTF Member
When I do these long runs anymore, I don't actually use a Component cable, I use three runs of RG6 Coax and adapt them to RCA. For what it costs, RG6 is really amazing quality for the application at hand.

JimWh

Auditioning
Thanks.

I was under the impression that was the common way to go with component (three rg6's).

How about other cables I will need or want in the future while I'm cutting holes and what not. Should I bite the bullet and run a HDMI cable as well? Are there any "budget" HDMI cables? The ones I've seen are pretty pricey.

Jim

John S

Senior HTF Member
I always run one of every type the display offers, and if the display offers multiples of anything, I do equivelent mutiples of those.

Akira_S

Auditioning
they have HDMI cables up to 75 ft here
very solidly made using good quality cables

ramelectronics.net/html/DVI-hdmi_cables.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa