What's new

Newbie Blu-ray questions (1 Viewer)

Bill_Boston

Stunt Coordinator
Hello HTF ... quick quesiton for you all. I'm in the market for a new DVD player and am seriously considering Blue-ray technology. Currently, I own the Samsung 26" LCD HDTV. According to the documentation, my TV specs are: 1366 x 768 pixel resolution with built-in image scaler; accepts all major DTV signals, including 1080i, 720p and 480p, plus standard 480i. This TV does have 2 HDMI inputs.

Without 1080p capabilities, can I still use the Blue-ray DVD player with this TV?

Will Blu-ray allow you to play the standard DVD Video format? I think yes, but just want to double check on that.

At some point in the next year, I plan to use this TV as a "bedroom" TV set and buy my main "living room" TV that this DVD player will eventually be attached to for the longer-term.

Your comments are much appreciated! Thanks!

- Bill

CRyan

Screenwriter
Yes! To evertyhing you asked.

One point to note though... Does your TV have HDMI or compliant DVI? If NOT, you will not be able to upconvert DVD and it is possible that the TV will not be able to even output anything greater than 480P from blu ray in the future.

If Yes, then you are golden at 720p greatness.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Hi Bill!

Bill says above that his TV has 2 HDMI inputs.

Yes, Bill, you should be fine. Blu-Ray should look great on your TV when you hook it up with an HDMI cable. All Blu-Ray players will play standard DVDs, and should upconvert them too.

One thing to keep in mind about Blu-Ray is that, as of November, they're moving from Profile 1.0 to Profile 1.1. The current stand-alone players on the market today will not be able to do picture-in-picture. The Playstation 3 is the only player on the market today that will be able to be upgraded. It's also pretty much the cheapest.

There's more info on what the Profile stuff means here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray

Bill_Boston

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Gregory ... is PIP the only new "primary" feature with the Profile 1.0 to Profile 1.1 upgrade? This is something I'm really not too interested in. But, if 1.1 fixes tons on bugs as well, I may wait. Thoughts/comments?

FYI ... I'm considering the $500 Sony player.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
As far as fixes go, I think just about all of the players have had firmware updates. I expect that trend to continue.

So, you're thinking about the Sony BDP-S300? Honestly, I don't know much about the stand-alone Blu-Ray players. I wanted to buy a player that would be upgradable to all of the latest and greatest features that the Blu-Ray camp has coming, so that's why I bought a PS3. The downside of the PS3 is that it doesn't have 5.1 analog audio outputs, but my receiver doesn't have 5.1 analog inputs.

Since they're both the same price, I'd say get the PS3 because you know you're going to get all of the updates, but that's just me. ;)

Hopefully somebody else can chime in on what they think of the BDP-S300

CRyan

Screenwriter
^^ What he said.

And speaking on the PS3. I really do not understand NOT purchasing the PS3. The ONLY reason is if you need the analogue output options of the standalones.

For those that dont want a game console, you can use the PS3 just like a DVD player, even set it up to autoplay the disc when you put it in - So you never have to see the PS3 menu system. And ALL functions are readily available onscreen.

And then on top of that you can get close to HTPC functionality out of it by upscaling and playing ripped DVD's - Even over your network?

It is the ONLY player available that can likely be upgraded all the way up to Profile 2.0. Why not get a PS3. Weird if you ask me. Just weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks