New Year''s Eve - quick review

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Patrick Sun, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

As a companion piece to "Valentine's Day," Gary Marshall's "New Year's Eve" is a rather inert piece of filmmaking, and the final resolution of the tangetial relationships of the criss-crossing subplots didn't quite hit the spot for me for many of the characters, so it's pretty much a miss, but you pretty much know what you're in for if you've seen the earlier film. I don't even know what they were thinking in how they resolved the Josh Duhamel's character's subplot, it doesn't make any sense. Hilary Swank's character's subplot was also "meh". Just a lot of average screenwriting. I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.

2. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Valentine's Day could be the single most mediocre film I've ever seen. Not good; not horrible; just incredibly blah. "If we cast enough stars, we won't have to worry about writing a story that works."

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

What's even sadder is that there is 4 Oscars (2 by Swank, 1 by Deniro, 1 by Berry) in the cast, and they are saddled with pretty poor subplots. But that being said, it's perfectly mediocre holiday viewing with other family members. Heh.