new XPA-5 speaker hum

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by suckitTrebek, Jan 4, 2013.

1. suckitTrebek

suckitTrebek Extra

Alright, have had my new XPA-5 hooked up to my home theatre for a couple days now. I have to say I love the amp. I can easily tell the speakers are getting the power they need and it seems without effort. Now my complaint. I'm getting a hum from the speakers that is audible from 9 feet away at my listening position. It comes from all speakers. Doesn't matter what the volume is at (with no source content) At the moment I'm chalking it up to be just the give and take for getting an amp like this for 769 shipped. If I had a 5k amp I'd expect that not to happen. For less than 800 yeah maybe. The XPA-5 has no hum. Just from the speakers. It's not a hiss, definitely a humm. It comes from all speakers minus sub. Naturally I can't hear it all when content is playing. But when it's not it's definitely noticeable (at least to me). I did not get this from the speakers when it was just my avr. speakers are all definitive, mythos sts, mythos nine, gem XL's 21txh receiver supercube I subwoofer Sure maybe it's a wire here or there. But I used shielded wires for the amp hook up. I've read threads that guys say they get a hiss or the xpa-5 itself hums. I don't have any of that.

2. Dave Upton

Dave Upton Owner
    Owner

Dave Upton
    I think what you're referring to is the hum from electrical wires. One thing worth trying is to use a cheater plug on any 3 prong equipment in your setup - see if that eliminates it. This doesn't sound like a ground loop issue because of the sub being quiet - but there are products out there for hum filtering you could consider like the Ebtech Hum-X.

3. suckitTrebek

suckitTrebek Extra

that's a bit expensive for a MAYBE

4. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Or it could be you've never heard bias before. Bias is the "ground level" 0DB noise floor.

5. suckitTrebek

suckitTrebek Extra

you might be right. sounds a little loud to be normal though