What's new

New X-box magazine-the next issue big news (1 Viewer)

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
An inside source at MS told me it was going to be extra long Xbox break-away controller cables. Something like 11 ft. as opposed to the current 9.8 ft.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
While that may be in the works, I kind of doubt that incrementally longer controller length warrants that sort of cover-worthy hype.

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
Of course you're right, Adam. I was trying to make a joke by suggesting some absurdly non-news worthy change, but I just hate to put those little smiley faces in my posts...

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
My sarcasm meter is on the fritz. :frowning: I blame the forums at TeamXBox. I'm so used to reading serious comments from dim people that an obvious joke from a bright fella goes clear over my head.

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
Don't find fault with your sarcasm meter, Adam. I have a very dry sense of humor which even people who know me personally sometimes don't get. (And by the way, thanks for the compliment about my being bright!)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
If there's one thign I hope they get rid of, it's the breakaways. I have all mine electrical taped together because they keep unplugging.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
You shouldn't tug on it so often then, Jeff ;)

I like them myself - less wear & tear on the XBox sockets is a good thing (see the fairly fragile DC controllers ports for an example).

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I hate those breakaways too so, I just put my Xbox on a real flimsy table, at the edge, so that it falls instead. ;)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
That's the thing, I don't have a problem with them coming unplugged, and my XB is maybe 1.5 inches off the ground. I have a problem with the breakaway just being too loose, it comes out all the time with just normal moving of things around. That's why I finally taped them

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I love the breakaways, although I don't know if they're needed for the Xbox. I've yanked my Dreamcast off the shelf twice and it left a big gouge on the game both times(they still work though).

However, the Xbox is heavy enough to where the controller should pop out without the breakaway.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
A couple months ago we didn't even know, for sure, that they were even developing it at all!
I suspected they were developing it for quite a while....

Last year a few months before christmas, Half Life 2 showed up on Ebworld's Xbox release list and it was mysteriously taken down. I doubt they just decided to randomly list a nonexistent game.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Instead of pulling it straight out, yank a (non-XBox) controller cord at 90 degrees (up, left, right, whatever) to the console.

No matter how heavy the console, the plug will not come out...and you may either damage the plug or worse, the controller port.

Because the breakaway is part of the cable, the angle relative to the front of the console does not matter. The breakaway will always unplug.

It's not a bad idea, really. The only thing that bothers me about it is that all the extension cords are designed to extend the breakaway with a third section, and with some controllers and adaptors you really need a true extension cord. But that's not MS's fault, it's the fault of the extension cord designers...somebody should make a different one.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I have to wonder what "normal moving" causes the cables to break away. Mine has seen daily usage since day 1, and the breakaway feature has occured just once - when I tripped on the cord.

If they are coming loose & you aren't tugging on the cord, it's probably a faulty controller.

-Dave

Nathan A

Second Unit
i let my brother borrow one of my controllers and he lost the small piece that plugs into the console....

i guess they're good for people who have traffic around the cables. i personally have never had anyone tug a cord enough to cause any kind of damage.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Well my sources say it will be a x-box without those "Cannot identify disc" errors :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Lee L

Supporting Actor
I have noticed that I can tug on my cables pretty hard before they break away, I certainly can pull hard enough to get eh whole cable and extension off the ground and they stay plugged in. I have, however had my dogs go tearing through the house at top speed several times and they have gotten hung up on the cords. Every time the breakaways worked, sometimes at both the short pigtail at the xbox and at the extendion cable connection. My dogs have never been tripped or even slowed down and the xbox is A-OK. I also like the auto pause as well.

Any chance it is the Xbox 1.5 people keep starting rumors about?

Joel Hurley

Stunt Coordinator
1. This has quickly turned into one of the more amusing threads, with all of the dry jokes, in your face humor, the often unintended humor, and the humor in getting to know different HTF'ers and how everyone interacts.

2. I perfer the breakaway cables myself as I can get a bit tippy at times, ...and I feel that taping them together is a wonderfully glorious solution for those who'd like to breakaway from thier breakaways.

3. I'm glad that this thread has not been abandoned, as I feel I need proper closure on this whole 'Big News' issue.

4. My money is on the release of Vice City sans GTA, I.E. last weeks semi-big break, old hat. But since I'm a Po-Boy I'm not risking too much. :wink: (and for those who don't care for smiles in thier posts, wink, wink)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks