What's new

New Willy Wonka Pan and Scan ONLY ??????????!!!? (1 Viewer)

Jack_Gardner

Auditioning
Mikel: Yes. Warner has officially confirmed that it is pan and scan only (according to the digitalbits and others). Also, as you can see from your posting of Amazon's product details, Warner has been claiming that it would be released both OAR and P&S. It was only revealed to be "P&S ONLY" when several retailers received advance copies.
Well, I spoke to soon with my earlier post about ebay. The OAR OOP copies of the dvd are already selling for OVER $100!!!!!

Ken_Jones

Stunt Coordinator
All I have to say is..................................
Pan-And-Scan and Fullscreen should be illegal and against the law. Widescreen should be the only existing viewing format

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I've canceled my preorder for this, and i will not be buying it. Also, The Goonies will be the last WB title I will buy for quite some time. Warner this is a perplexing move. The people that care about OAR are teh same people that have dvd collections ranging in the thousands, and buy dvds weekly, sometimes hundreds of dollars worth per week!
I grew up in a house that loved movies, and my parents and the rest of family prefer pan and scan. howevermy family (together) only ever bought, at the most, five-ten movies a year, and most of those were either gifts or the disney releases that were only "available for a limited time."
this isn't shooting yourself in the foot. it's putting the gun in your mouth, and pulling the trigger.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
So let's see if I've got this right- the first DVD had BOTH formats, now they're doing a "collector's edition" with ONLY pan and scan??? DAMN that's the dumbest thing I've heard of in a while! I never bought the first DVD but I do have the laserdisc, which is widescreen and has an isolated music and sound effects track the DVD never had. I don't think anyone who buys the pan and scan version will care about the commentary- "Billy, did you hit that button I told you not to touch? There's people talking over the movie!"

Teresa

Grip
This is absolutely horrible. I've cancelled my preorder, and have emailed warner already. I've never heard of such an appalling decision - "Collector's Edition"?!?!? If it's not the original aspect ratio it is NOT a collector's edition.
Warner, please reconsider. Advertising OAR then yanking it prior to release is a horrendous tactic. There is simply no excuse - you ALREADY HAVE the widescreen version - you released it already on the previous edition!
You're making a HUGE mistake with this non-OAR release, and alienating your core consumer base - the COLLECTORS. Original aspect ratio is the ONLY way movies should be released.
[Edited last by Teresa on August 07, 2001 at 02:39 AM]

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
I will boycott. I'm not just cancelling the preorder. This is an affront going beyond this one title. Warner is making a statement, '*@%* the director, @*#$ the film lover.' I boycotted Paramount and Circuit City until they got off DIVX, and now P&S-only on DVD, if unchecked, could be about as much a threat as that was. I fear there may be truth in the statement made earlier: quote: This is the future. It sucks.[/quote]I for one will buy NO Warner DVDs of any title so long as they:
1) Disrespect and mar the films they control (chop off the side of Willy Wonka, superimpose digital people to downgrade the rating of Eyes Wide Shut).
2) Lie to consumers, promising anamorphic WS on the disk, then after we go through the trouble of preorders and without warning, they drop WS. That's dishonest. Some people won't find out until it arrives that the promised widescreen is nowhere to be found.
This is incredible. How stupid can Warner be?
[Edited last by Doug Pyle on August 07, 2001 at 02:57 AM]

Wade K

Second Unit
I've got a feeling someone in WB's market research department will be looking for a new job tomorrow.

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
Hopefully Warner will read all the negative on-line comments and will give DVD consumers what they want- a 16:9 enhanced wide screen version of WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY.
------------------
Derek M. Germano
THE CINEMA LASER
DVD reviews, news and more...
www.thecinemalaser.com

PienSavaca

Stunt Coordinator
. Even Disney had the balls to delay Princess Mononoke after the uproar caused by the early relevation that the original Japanese audio track would not be included. It corrected the mistake.
MGM delayed "A fish called wanda" after fans screamed about the PS-only announcement. It's now available in both formats on the same disc.
I own "A fish called wanda". I won't own Wonka.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I didnt believe it till I read it on dvdfile.com this morning.
What a bunch of idiots. Who makes these decisions?
There is a numbere and links to other petitions on dvdfile.com.
Go there and make a difference.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Remember that snail mail is still one of the better ways to get company's attention. Anyone can fire off an email, it takes no effort and you remain anonymous. Most B&M companies don't even bother going through irate emails. However if you take the time to draft and mail a letter, it shows that you are serious about whatever it is you are writing about. Here's a copy of the letter I wrote to WB, and the address for the company is at the top. I urge all who care to write a letter and mail it in. $0.34 is a small price to pay to let WB know how you feel about what has happened to this DVD.
Don't forget--be PROFESSIONAL--don't go on an irate tirade or your letter may not be taken seriously or passed up to the higher-ups at the company.
---
Warner DVD Consumer Affairs
c/o Warner Bros.
4000 Warner Blvd.
Burbank, CA 91522
Re: Willy Wonka DVD
Dear Warner Brothers,
This is to inform you that I will not be purchasing the upcoming Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory DVD. This decision was reached based solely on the reason below:
Willy Wonka will not be presented in its original Theatrical Aspect Ratio of 1.85:1.
Your company’s decision to release this title in Pan & Scan truly does a disservice to one of the greatest children’s movies of all time. This was a movie that I grew up watching, and was looking forward to owning it on widescreen DVD.
Furthermore, DVD is a growing technology, ushering America into the HDTV world. As you are aware, HDTVs will be in the shape of 16:9, rather than the current 4:3 dimensions of current TVs. The decision to not release an anamorphic widescreen DVD of Willy Wonka has robbed those of us who have, or wish to, purchase a 16:9 set of a high quality presentation of this wonderful movie.
I attended the San Diego Comic Convention, and the DVD’s producer was under the impression that the disc would contain both the widescreen and Pan & Scan version of the film. You obviously have a widescreen DVD transfer ready to be pressed. Why not include that in the final product? If it has already been mastered, what are you saving it for, if not for this release?
As the proud owner of over 350 DVDs, and the influential friend of dozens of DVD buyers who take my recommendations seriously, I urge you to please reconsider releasing the widescreen version of Willy Wonka on DVD.
Regards,
Carlo Medina

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks