What's new

New Warner SEs Coming in May! (1 Viewer)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Nothing interests me there.

Come on Warner, where's the re-release of Badlands and Fearless? I'll settle for barebones as long as it's OAR and anamorphic.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
"Heat: Two-Disc Special Edition" is the only film in that list that I'd spend $$$ on.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I'd *love* a two-disc exploration of Fearless...not to mention Days of Heaven, Badlands, and Thin Red Line. Of course, I'm still waiting for in-depth DVDs of the Stanley Kubrick films, so...

Charles H

Screenwriter
Brooks claimed that the 1939 Technicolor Errol Flynn-Olivia deHavilland DODGE CITY was the inspiration for BS. (DESTRY RIDES AGAIN was also an obvious impetus). It would be great to have DODGE CITY with a Brooks commentary as the second disc!!!

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

I'd love all of those too. Unfortunately, Malick, Kubrick, and to a lesser extent Weir are among the most reclusive and feature-phobic of all directors. I don't suspect that any of these will ever happen. I'm shocked at the amount of supplemental material that Weir has approved for Master and Commander.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

I've heard that too, but the only commentary track of his that I've heard, Princess Bride SE, is pretty decent. Not great, but worth listening to.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Not only that, but he came very close to recording a commentary track. Unfortunately he talked himself out of it. :frowning:

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Heat 2-Disc SE? Woohoo! I am so there. Hopefully there will be a commentary with Mann, DeNiro, Pacino, Kilmer, Sizemore, Voight, and Judd.

Blazing Saddles SE? All right. (Passes the can of beans around.....) :)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I plan to pick up all but Purple Rain.

Lots of goodies there.

Now all we need is a Batman SE along with a Goodfellas :)

BryanV

Stunt Coordinator
OMG OMG OMG

Part of the reason I joined this board was to take part in the Warner Chat to ask them if they would release 80 days in support of the remake coming out this spring.

I can now finally check off my top ten favorite movies of all time as being released on DVD.

I love you guys.

Paul-Gunther

Stunt Coordinator
Heat, Wyatt Earp, 80 Days and Blazing Saddles are all going into my collection. I'm actually most excited about Wyatt Earp.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Around The World In 80 Days!!! If WB poured their hearts, souls, and money into restoring the full widescreen, Todd-AO roadshow version (well, unless there were no 70mm elements to be found) to look as good as can technically be achieved today in HD due to the sad nature of the original elements, and it shows on the DVD, then I WILL BUY THREE OR FOUR COPIES for friends and family!!! And more when HD discs are ready for prime time! I LOVE this movie!!

Any tidbits of info. on this restoration (even if it turns out to be only an HD video restoration), Mr. Harris?

Blazing Saddles SE!!?? Holy Underwear!!! -- The GOV

Dan

Bernhard

Stunt Coordinator
Oh my god!!!! Heat 2 disc-SE?!?!? I've been waiting forever for this to happen, thanks Warner!!

Brian Ralph

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't watched it in quite awhile, but is Heat lacking anything A/V wise? Being Warner, we certainly won't get a dts track, and the current 5.1 mix is pretty darn good (if memory serves). The current release is also anamorphic, and I don't recall any PQ complaints.

Not complaining about the 2 disc release, just wondering about the need to upgrade besides the extras.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
How about giving us Bette Davis fans a little carrot! I know in the last chat WB said that she would have to wait until the "boys" (Cagney, Flynn & Bogart) were released until they worked on her. I would not mind having at least one title to embrace & watch over & over again until WB gives her the proper attention she deserves. :D ;) :emoji_thumbsup:
PS - I know that there are Davis titles available. I asking for a 2 disc SE type of release.

Jim Tudor

Stunt Coordinator
I'll go for the upgrades on "Heat" & "Blazing Saddles", and may go for "Purple Rain" if they have those mail-in freebie offers they tend to have. But I really wish they'd get to "GoodFellas", "Batman", and "The Wild Bunch".

JiM T

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I haven't heard any complaints about the sound (other than a lack of DTS), which is top-notch IMHO. However, there have been numerous comments over the past few years about the quality of the video.

StevenFC

Second Unit
That's an interesting group of Special Editions. I think it shows that Warner has committed to the Special Edition format. They must have judged their recent releases as being successful. It also shows nice variety, which augurs well for the future. At the very least I think we can look forward to a lot more discs along the lines of a Mrs. Miniver and the like. Not exactly Special Editions, but at least with a little extra thrown in.

Hopefully all the studios have caught onto this as well. I think a big part of selling DVDs is about presentation and the trust level that one has in a particular studio--and I think Warner has taken the lead in that area. And to the customer of the victor goes the spoils!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks