What's new

New Warner multi-disc sets coming! (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Just because Jackson's name is the only one being talked about, it doesn't mean that others are not involved with the documentaries. Warner has used many different contributors to their documentaries, case in point, the Gangster Collection.

Crawdaddy

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Concerning potential KING KONG supplements:

Who's to say that Warner didn't record interviews and/or commentary with Harryhausen and Bradbury about KING KONG, back when they participated in bonus material for Warner's BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS and VALLEY OF GWANGI dvds a couple of years ago? The KING KONG dvd had been announced as being "in the works" for far longer than that.

Also, anyone who watches the Turner Classic Movies channel with any regularity knows that Turner/Warner filmed interviews with Fay Wray and Harryhausen, specifically about KING KONG, several years ago, as part of their long-standing "interview archive project". These are run pretty frequently, especially when a broadcast of KING KONG is imminent on the channel. It could easily be that those interviews (possibly even expanded versions, later cut down for tv broadcast purposes) may conceivably make it onto the KING KONG dvd release. As I recall, the Turner/Warner "interview archive project" was intended for more than just sound bites for cable tv broadcast.

Furthermore, Warner had the M. Night Shyamalan interview segment on the SE re-release of STRANGERS ON A TRAIN last year, and I don't recall anyone here getting bent out of shape over that. Plenty of other bonus material that had no Shyamalan content was on that release, and Peter Jackson arguably has more relevance in participating on the KING KONG dvd than Shyamalan had on STRANGERS ON A TRAIN, for the original Kong props he owns alone. One of Jackson's earliest feature films, DEAD ALIVE (1992, aka BRAIN DEAD) essentially begins on Skull Island! The guy's a hard-core fan of the original KING KONG, beyond the immediate need to promote his new film (thought that is also an undeniable factor).

Not that I have any inside info on any of this, but these aspects should be considered, before the pessimists pronounce doom, prematurely.

Whatever ultimately is or isn't included on the KING KONG dvd, I expect Warner will do an above-board job, considering their track record, especially with their line of SE dvds of their most famous/important films.

My hunch is that SON OF KONG will be a supplemental extra, as the 1925 BEN-HUR may be (if that consumer survey info pans out) on the 1959 film's SE release, while MIGHTY JOE YOUNG will be a stand-alone title. The Warner reps did indicate in last year's chat that MIGHTY JOE YOUNG was in serious consideration for release in 2005.

As usual, time will tell. :)

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Thank you, Crawdaddy and Mr.fitzgerald for voices of reason:)

I am confident that WB will not disappoint and provide us amazing releases, as has been their recent track record.

We have much great things to look forward to, including (if all indications are true) that a WB chat may be in store (I hope, I hopw!)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Wow what a lack of faith in WB I'm witnessing here. relax, people, please. These are just partial specs. There will be way more on these releases, and that will be revealed later, along with the covers. Just sit back and wait for your copy of the Comedies boxset to arrive ;)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
All these titles sound top notch, I'll be getting all of them.

My 2 cents on PJ being involved in Kong is similar to alot of others: I don't have a problem with it. He knows about the film, and is passionate enough about the film to justify it. He's hardly as annoying as some of the other historians we see on DVD's (I respect what the guy has done, but I really don't need to have Leonard Maltin gushing at me on another DVD release for a while.)

Of course, I'm sure Rudy Belmer well be weiging in on Kong, so you know that well be good. Rudy is THE MAN!! (David Skall too!!):emoji_thumbsup:

MichaelSloan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Sloan
There's nothing wrong with giving any movie special features. There is something wrong with not giving a movie any. I hope someone is still willing to ask Warner about titles I'm interested in if they have nothing else to ask about. Many seem happy enough with Warner's DVDs so far that they may want nothing more from them. If anyone was planning on asking if Warner is making DVDs I've expressed interest for in past threads, I doubt they're still planning on it. If they are, let me know.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Sir, your post is confusing, but if you're interested in any film then you need to express them for yourself to Warner whenever a chat is held.

Crawdaddy

MichaelSloan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Sloan
If the chat is between March 5 and 19 I can't talk to Warner myself because I'll be on vacation and I don't think anyone would let me download software for that type of chat in an internet cafe. If someone doesn't have anythink to ask Warner and is on that chat, what's the harm in asking for me. If you knew a way I could chat with Warner in an internet cafe without downloading any expensive software I would really appreciate if you could tell me about it.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I don't think anyone who actually has the honor of asking a question at the chat will be hard-pressed for something to ask about. I have about 100 questions alone just involving the info on this thread.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Good grief, guys! Shouldn't you wait until the Kong DVD comes out and THEN begin the whine fest about Jackson's contributions. You haven't even heard it yet though I suspect that Jackson's comments could be the most entertaining and insightful and some HTFers would still line up to slap him on the side of the head!

If Jackson's contributions turn out to be puff material then I'll get in line behind you but until then give the guy some slack.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Reading about the "Ben-Hur" release has me really pumped up about that one! Ditto for "The Outsiders" and "The Wizard of Oz"! Now if they'd been able to include the original 1907 silent film version of "Ben-Hur" into that set, that would have made it all the better! :) But Martin Hart does have a valid point in that the 1907 version Sidney Olcott filmed faced so many legal obstacles, that it paved the way for legal negotiations in translating books to films. Still, at 12 minutes, it would have made for a nice supplement. Oh well...

BTW, in talking about the "alternate soundtrack" to "The Wizard of Oz", here's one for a wild spin: while watching the Charlton Heston version of "Ben-Hur", turn the sound down a little bit and play along with it the John Williams score to "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace" (the podrace sequence). That one is an absolute hoot! :D

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

And I will certainly be tuning in with great interest. However, I'm pretty sure I know more or less what Warner will say. There will be the usual DVD confirmations for some "popular" films that we've always wanted to be released to DVD and which we all knew would eventually have to come to DVD with or without the chat anyway, and the "nothing in the works at this time" responses for the more offbeat requests that the majority of people aren't interested in, and which don't sell as well.

But as long as the promised "box set" of the Val Lewton horrors comes out before year's end, that'll make me happy.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Recently, I noticed a posting from Dewitte who claims he "was contacted to take one of Warner's DVD surveys." Over the weekend I received an email from an individual requesting whatever information I had on the subject. I had none.

Dewitte noted titles and the special features which are "forthcoming." I've worked with a lot of the different studios and it got me curious as to the accuracy of the information since it's so far (too far) in advance. I'm also aware that usually the marketing research organizations request or occasionally make those involved in the survey, sign a non-disclosure agreement. I don't know if that occurred here.

Since I know, as a fact, that the King Kong set is not yet locked, I called the head of publicity at Warner Home Video and as I suspected, the various elements listed --the dates of release and the special features -- are in, she said, "a VERY preliminary state and will definitely change over the course
of the year."

The thing that really bothered her is that when it's presented like this, it sounds like complete gospel rather than skeletal information with numerous inaccuracies.

Warner said they hope to have a chat soon to talk about what they know will be on some titles -- and what they don't know yet!

As a general rule, when an organization is gathering marketing research, it appears to be for a purpose known as "marketing research." What this means is that there is no final product; no final release dates; occasionally no transfer, and only the sketchiest of material.

Discussing information as culled from a marketing research gathering is not the way to be recognized for credibility.

From the few hard facts that I've learned in regard to the King Kong product, I can only say that its going to great, will more than meet the needs of the audience, and whenever it does come out, will be a major addition to my personal library. It will be one of the most important releases of the year.

If Warner Home Video hadn't proven their mettle in the past year, I could see some doubts or concerns, but they have, department by department, shown that they not only love film, but know how to present it via the DVD format. They always give the audience more than their money's worth in the highest quality possible.

Now let's just sit back and wait for an OFFICIAL announcement.

RAH

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
The fact that they released Freaks as an SE tells me all I need to know about how much WB loves film.....I just hope they give Kong a transfer closer to the latest Strangers On A Train and a little less sterile than Citizen Kane.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
If Warner is reading this... what a wonderful oppurtunity this upcoming Special Edition would be to issue a few more early Merrie Melody cartoons as extras!

1933 saw some of my absolute favorites such as Rudolph Ising directed, "The Dish Ran Away With The Spoon", Ising-Freleng's "Shuffle Off To Buffalo" and "I Like Mountain Music", etc...

Even if this were released barebones and in a snapper case I'd scoop it up on release day, but these classic cartoons have been a MAJOR draw for me and have even brought me to purchase titles I otherwise might not have considered. I'm sure when it's eventually released, it will see the full Warners Special Edition treatment, but I'm really hoping they decide to include a cartoon or two as extras also. There shouldn't be much involved, and it couldn't hurt to fill a few more minutes of bonus disc space, right?

;)

Eddie Estes

Agent

Maybe in most cases but they sure screwed the pooch with the so called unedited Tom and Jerry DVD set.
First it was supposed to be chronological. NOT!
Then it was supposed to be unedited. NOT!
Then there was supposed to be a disc replacement program
for the edited disc. Which we will probably never see since they have quietly let all mention of it die.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Other than a few mistakes on the 2nd Looney Tunes Golden Collection and the Tom & Jerry set (which I hope will be cleared up in the upcoming chat), Warner's had a pretty clean record, as far as I can tell.

I really don't feel like worrying about King Kong. They're going to pull off the King Kong DVD beautifully.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
While the kind of extras WB has been putting on classic DVDs recently have been wonderful, I wonder if they (WB-specific stuff, anyway) would be appropriate here, as KK was an RKO release.

Granted, it isn't like all movie theatres only showed one studio's product on any given night, so seeing a Merrie Melody on the same program as King Kong in 1933 isn't outside the realm of possibility. I just wonder if WB would balk at the brand-mixing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks