What's new

New Warner Hammer Titles in 2004 (1 Viewer)

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
Just a side note that AB was bought by a Telecom Company in Newark NJ. The company is big from just selling prepaid phone cards. Now they want to get into the entertainment business. So they are part of this new company's entertainment division which right now is focusing on animation. One project being a film with the voice of Christopher Reeve. I'm sure they will be releasing computer animated titles in the future. :) So thats where AB is right now.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Although the cover art is really sharp...
Where are you seeing the cover art, other than the small picture DVD Drive-In has of Dracula Has Risen From The Grave? Perhaps that is what you were referring to, but in case you saw cover art for the rest, I would like to know where I could see it.

Thanks.

Rolando

Screenwriter
WOW looks nice.

Well as a newbie I must ask (hmm... tempted to start a new thread...)

Never seen any Hammer that I can think of... WHERE TO START???

I am the kind of guy that wants to always see things in order. would hate to see these and find out late ooh you should have seen Film c before Film x...

I am the guy who has been avoiding watching commercials for 24 TV series currently playing just so as not to ruin Season one on DVD that I have never seen even though I have been told Seasons are fairly independent of each other.

So which are the BEST? Which should I see first, actually which came first? are any sequels to each other?

GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME!

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
IMO I would start where it "started", 'Curse of Frankenstein'. Available from Warner 1957. Thats the first of the Frasnkenstein films and becuase of there popularity started the ongoing Dracula series, 1958. I'm sure I or someone could give a complete list of those series. Check these sites out:

Zeta Minor
Hammer official site

I would love to see and in depth thread started.

BTW...aren't those great covers! I just hope there are extras this time.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I am the kind of guy that wants to always see things in order. would hate to see these and find out late ooh you should have seen Film c before Film x...
I can sympathize with you to a degree, however you will find two things are true as you get more and more into Hammer films:

1.) Since so many different studios were involved in the distribution of Hammer films, and thus own the home video rights, it is a constant source of aggravation in terms of movies not yet released on DVD and varying quality across the studios’ releases.

That being said, the Frankenstein series, for example, is distributed by a number of studios, and while a good many are out on DVD, not all of them are. A few in the middle of the series remain unreleased.

2.) Most Hammer films to not require your watching a previous installment in order to enjoy it. These movies were crafted this way, for the most part, intentionally.

So, why am I telling you this, you could wait a long time before you tried to watch Hammer's catalog in chronological order, or even simply a series, like the Dracula films.

Best to let that side of your personality go, and just start grabbing titles and watching them.

That's what I did, or am doing I should say.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Thanks guys!

Just checked out the official site and it says The Curse of Frankenstein is not available on DVD! is this true? who holds the rights? How can the one the started it all not be on DVD?

hmm... more research...

EDIT: Dracula not out on DVD either? is site not up to date or do have have to hunt these down on VHS???

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Are those covers posted the same as what will be featured on the upcoming Hammer Horror Collection in April?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Curse of Frankenstein was released on DVD by Warner in the US - it is still in print.

Dracula (American title: Horror of Dracula) was released by Warner on DVD - it's in print. The title is, of course, Horror of Dracula.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Are those covers posted the same as what will be featured on the upcoming Hammer Horror Collection in April?
I cannot say for certain, but I can't see any reason why they wouldn't be. It was my understanding that the Hammer Horror Collection was simply the individual releases of The Curse of Frankenstein, The Horror of Dracula, The Mummy, Dracula Has Risen from the Grave, Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed, and Taste the Blood of Dracula in a box.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
I'm really looking forward to these discs, but I'm still puzzled why Warner isn't including Dracula A.D. 1972 (see Paul Arnette's sig photo) in this promotion?

If not this promotion, then when??? :angry:

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Rolando:
I was in the same situation as you not that long ago.
I ended up starting with Curse of Frankenstein and the Mummy. I have found hammer to be an acquired taste which I have come to really like. I have currently 18 titles. Can't wait for these new ones.

And ya know, a Hammer dedicated thread isn't a bad idea, but I think someone with more knowledge should start it up, maybe a Hammer primer for the uninitiated?

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
And while we're at it still, where's:

Captain Clegg
Creatures the World Forgot
Hands of the Ripper
Moon Zero Two
Nightmare
Quatermass Xperiment
She
The Brides of Dracula
The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb
The Curse of the Werewolf
The Damned
The Evil of Frankenstein
The Gorgon
The Man Who Could Cheat Death
The Old Dark House
The Phantom of the Opera
The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll
Twins of Evil
Vampire Circus

:D

As you can see, when there are this many missing, and this isn't even a complete list, it's best to take a more laid-back approach. ;)

Also, I could've sworn there was something already that passed from a Hammer primer on this site, but I could be wrong.

I wouldn't mind helping but one together if there isn't, but I have been a bit busy of late.

In the meantime, if you want to learn a bit about Hammer, check out the book House of Horror (The Complete Hammer Films Story) by Jack Hunter if you haven't already.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
As you can see, when there are this many missing, and this isn't even a complete list, it's best to take a more laid-back approach.
True, but since Dracula A.D. 1972 is actually part of this Dracula series and the only other Hammer Dracula film that Warner has the rights to, it's absence on April 27th seems rather odd and a missed opportunity. :frowning:

As for Vampire Circus, I have the nice R2 disc. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks