What's new

new tv tomorrow...final decision soon on LCD/DLP (1 Viewer)

brian__pratt

Agent
i sold my primary tv (36" panny hd tau) for one reason: i was tired of dealing with its weight when moving. :thumbsdown:

so, i'm off to my dealer tomorrow to pick up something LIGHT. :)

i have looked at the usual LCD and DLP projection units (front projection is not an option yet) and got the following quotes from my dealer:

Panasonic PT-50LC13 50" LCD: $2550
Sony KF42WE610 42" LCD: $2400
Sony KF50WE610 50" LCD: $2800
Samsung (not sure of the model #) 43" DLP: $3000

extended 5 year in-home warranty: $269 (on any of the above)

after looking at the online prices these seem pretty competitive considering it's a B&M store. they don't carry the hitachi line, so that's not an option (but people speak highly of). my question is if the sony price justifies the quality difference (if any) from the panny.

or, if the samsung deserves that much $$$$ over the others, and only for a 42" screen.

ugh. decisions...

Mando-R

Stunt Coordinator
DLP owns... 'Nuff said.

You get a contrast ratio that's close to CRT. You have the ability to view it from all angles. It also has stunningly good image quality.

Samsung is making like a bandit with these DLP tv's.

Tien_N

Agent
If you want, check out UEC Web Inc, they carry the 55" DLP (Digital Light Processing) HDTV Monitor/Projection TV with matching Stand SP55D and spare bulb for $2399 !!!!
(note: original price for TV is $7999)

They are authorized refurb Hitachi dealers but The best thing? this TV isn't refurb and comes with the 1yr warranty. The TV ships directly from the Hitachi warehouse too. I was skeptic at first but i called 800-hitachi and they comfirmed the online site was a legit refurb dealer so I ordered my 32" Hitachi plasma TV there at an unvbelievable price. ONly takes 3-5 days for the TV to arrive at your door and set up included with the shipping. Hope this helps....

Tien_N

Agent
Yea, i copied and pasted it, hehe, I couldn't post the link for it and I was too lazy to type it out :). There was actually a review for the TV as well if yall wanna check it out....

I'm not trying to advertise, but I just love the Hitachi brand and their cooooool TVs!

.audiovideointeriorsweb.com/archives/0802_features01.shtml

:)

oh by the way, did you decide on a TV David? Which one did you get?

Bruce-E

Stunt Coordinator
Check out onecall.com has the samsung 4365 and 5065 on sale delerved.a good company to use. Good Luck

david kennedy

Stunt Coordinator
i was thinking about that hitachi you suggested the only gripe i have is their is no dvi input and i heard some people complain about the bulbburning out too fast.

brian__pratt

Agent
well...i went with the 42" sony LCD yesterday. i returned it today due to being so disappointed. :frowning:

problems i had were with the quality of the broadcast (digital cable, including hbo, cinemax, etc) and disappointing dvd quality.

i used the same cables from my old tv (36" panny tau hdtv) and the picture was excellent on the panny. the sony was MUCH lower quality. not sure if i had a lemon or just so used to a CRT that the LCD isn't good enough in comparison.

the HD feeds looked good, but i wasn't going to keep the tv just for that when i primarily watch DVD's and tv.

my problem now is finding a replacement. i want something light (like lcd/dlp/plasma), but don't want to shell out $5000+ for a LCD or plasma display. grrrrrrrr.

david kennedy

Stunt Coordinator
It kind of scares me to hear all these horror stories of the new lcd's dlp's. Since i have to get my rptv fixed and it's still under warranty i will just get a tube hdtv for now . Thinking of the Toshiba 34hf83. Should be able to get that for about 1.500. And when me and the Mrs to be buy another house get a fptv.

Bert D

Stunt Coordinator
Brian, why do you not get a Plasma 42" ?? I am returning my 61" Sammy dlp due to poor PQ, fan noise, plastic looking faces, shimmering look to screen, etc. and getting a 50" Panny plasma. There are plenty of 42" under $3K plasma's to be had, like the Panny and NEC, and although not HD, you need to read up @ the AVSforum website, most will tell you the ED plasma's look very good with a HD feed. Actually, some have done a side by side comparison at 10 feet or more and can not tell the difference between the HD and ED plasma's on a HD feed.

brian__pratt

Agent
i was going to jump on the $4300 panny plasma from dell...but hesitated out of fear (horror stories about reliability of plasma, the decrease in brightness over time, etc). i am sure most of the bad stories are exceptions and not the standard experience...but i figured LCD was the way to go in my particular case.

i will give the plasma a shot if the store has a good return policy (i.e. no restock fee) if i am not pleased with it.

any tips? :)

Bert D

Stunt Coordinator
Try Dell, and check on their restock, return policies. I agree with you, you do not want to get stuck with something you do not like, and can not return easily.
I ordered the Nec 42" from Dell, when the 30% off deal was going on a few days ago, this will be for the b-room.
I recommend the Nec and you should be able to buy a 10% off coupon at "dellwatch.com" and apply to your order, it is in stock and was recently rated equal to the coveted Panny.
Dell is completely backordered on Panny's and taking no more orders on them at all.
The Nec is $3150, so with 10% off and tax/shipping, you should be right at $3K or so.

I believe you have 30 days to return with Dell, but I can not guarantee it. The way I see it, if the Panny and Nec plasma do not give you the quality pic you want, I do not know what will. Dell is a big company, and from what I understand you can persuade a return, and even have them pay shipping, according to posts @ AVSforum.
Put it on your credit card, even if you have cash, it protects you in case of problems. Good luck.

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
My question is, how often do you move? I am looking at getting a 34" Tube, and I know it will weight a ton. But I don't believe I will have to move it more then once in the next 5 years, so who cares?

Bert D

Stunt Coordinator
OK, @ dellwatch right now they have a 15% off coupon for the "Small Bus," section, and free shipping. So it is $3164 minus -15%, plus tax for your state, free ship. The small bus section charges tax to all except Oregon. S/B under $3K to your door. Nec is way better unit than the Sampo's, Akai's, Viewsonic, etc.

david kennedy

Stunt Coordinator
The Toshiba weighs about 163 pounds it will be a bedroom tv.The only time i'll move mine is when we buy another house.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks