What's new

New tv remake of 'CARRIE'. Um...why? (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
What exactly is the point of this movie!? Is their suddenly something wrong with Brian DePalma's masterpiece? What do we need this for?

Needless to say I won't be watching, it looks cheesy as hell.

Travis_S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis
What kind of crap is this? I'm watching it right now and it appears that the director has never heard of "production values" before. Quite frankly, it looks horrible. I have no idea why they decided to remake it since it so far looks like an exact replica of the original but without any of the successful elements from the original. Maybe it will get better...

Justin1

Stunt Coordinator
Networks love to remake movies. At the worst, they expect all fans of the original to tune in and compare versions of the film (which equates to solid ratings). Best case scenario, the movie is actually good and a wider audience than just hardcore fans tune in to see it (great ratings). In their estimation, either way, ratings are solid.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
quote...
"I will be broadcast in Hi-Def though..."
You can't polish a turd Tony. :)
The best we can hope for is that this will inspire people to seek out the original, and one and only, film if they havn't yet seen it.

Travis_S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis
What in the hell was that!!! They follow the original smoothly and then go with that ending?
Carrie lives?!

I am stunned. I think I need to watch the original again to wash the bile from my mouth.

Stefan A

Second Unit
I watched it tonight. I never read the book or saw the original. It makes me want to see the original now. Too bad I read that spoiler above though :angry:. My own dumb fault.
But, I have read other Stephen King novels. The new ending did seem a bit odd.
I watched it through Comcast HD. I wasn't impressed with the video. I kept on seeing weird digital artifacts during certain shots.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I was going to post a warning about the ending, as I read about it yesterday.
A possible series? Is Carrie going to hit the road, performing telekinetic stuff to save little kids, or something?

Terrible idea!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Actually now that I think about it, a tv remake of 'Citezen Kane' starring the 'Seseme Street' charactors would be a hell of a lot more entertaining than this thing! :)

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
I watched with disgust. It was horrible. I hated the acting. The ending. The special effects... yuck!

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
All it made me want to do (besides throw a brick through my TV) was watch the original! I kept saying to myself, "I could be watching the DePalma version!" But I kept hoping against hope it would get better. Oh well. There went 180 minutes of my life.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Ok, it was terrible. I knew that without torturing myself by watching it. But the $60K question: was it even worse than "The Shining" miniseries?

DeeF

Screenwriter
But great stories are remade all the time. If it's a great story, people will tune in, if only to see how this version is different.

How many versions of Dickens books are there? Shakespeare?

Carrie's a great story. This TV movie wasn't so great, but give 20 years, I bet they remake it again.

Why remake Fiddler on the Roof, The Music Man, Annie, etc.? But they're doing it.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Ok, it was terrible. I knew that without torturing myself by watching it. But the $60K question: was it even worse than "The Shining" miniseries?
I think it's clear that The Shining was more faithful to the source material than this, and had better special effects. I think I would place this below the "joke" SK adaptations (like Maximum Overdrive and The Mangler).

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

We don't necessarily "need" this, but the network perceived a need for it. It's all about ratings. And, apparently, the thing is a pilot for an ill-advised series.

Speaking of ill-advised TV remakes of classic films, anybody remember the horrible late-'70s ABC-TV remake of It's a Wonderful Life, replete with a gender-reversal, feminist-friendly take? With Marlo Thomas's Mary Hatcher-cum-Bailey as the "George Bailey," and Cloris Leachman as the Clarence character? It Happned One Christmas was the name of that wretched thing.

Leave it to commercial network television.

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
I do remember It Happened one Christmas and it wasn't great. That being said, though, it was good enough to make me seek out It's a Wonderful Life, which I had never seen and give that a watch. Thanks to Marlo, a new holiday favorite was born for me. Thanks to that week's TV Guide too, for reporting in its blurb about the Marlo Thomas movie that it was a remake of Jimmy Stewart's movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks