new trend in subwoofers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ryan Tsang, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang Second Unit

I read the review in this month's Stereophile Ultimate AV of Velodyne's new line of subs with built-in EQs. While I was setting up my servo 15 (before I read the article) I thought "wouldn't it be nice to have a sub that comes with a mic and test tones to automatically do it for me?" Sure enough the new "DD" line of subs do. It has a video output to display the FR, microphone, test tone generator, parametric EQ, selectable x-over slope, remote, and the usual set of controls. You still have to do it manually on the Velo (which is fun I guess) but it would be cool if you could assign a built in computer to do it.

I think Velodyne is onto something that some of us here are already doing with our BFDs. Current trend is to make them smaller and decor-friendly. I believe this will the be next trend in subwoofer design.

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Hopefully it will get cheaper too.

Infinity has the RABOS system too.

3. Matt G.

Matt G. Agent

AV123 will have the R-DES built into the up-coming UFW-12 as well.

4. JohnCZ

JohnCZ Stunt Coordinator

Oooooh the Velodyne DD subs. Love them. Unfortunately I'd have to sell my truck to buy one.

Some day...

5. Mike Dzurko

Mike Dzurko Stunt Coordinator

R-DES will be very cool, allowing easy control via. computer interface. It will be available as a separate piece for use with any subwoofer. Considering the anticipated price it will be simply amazing. Oh, and it will be software upgradeable [​IMG]