What's new

New Toshiba 65HX81 - screen rolls from progressive inputs. Any suggestions anyone? (1 Viewer)

I have a new Toshiba 65HX81 thats about 3 months old now and this problem has been from the start. The problem is intermittent and I am pulling my hair out. About one out of three times I try to watch a movie from the progressive outputs on a DVD player, the picture is unwatchable. The best way to describe it is that the picture is split into 3 vertical frames and rolls like a slot machine.

My warranty is directly throught Toshiba since I bought online and I've been through the hoops and barrels to have them agree to warranty it. I've had my local Toshiba support guys out once already but I could not reproduce the problem so they shrugged their shoulders and left. I tried all day after they left to reproduce it and I could not. The next day I put in a DVD and the problem was back.

They are scheduled to come out again but they already told me they had no idea what it could be, it takes them a month to come come out after you order it. Any guesses, suggestions or brain-farts as to what this could be are certainly welcome. Toshiba tech support has never heard of it. Here's some troubleshooting I have done so far:

- I have reproduced the problem on 3 different progressive scan DVD players and two different component cables (one of the cables being brand new Silver Serpent cables that I ordered right after I got the set.) All that that should rule out the problem coming from a DVD player or a cable issue. I have also tried both of the component inputs on the set, no luck with all of the above configurations.
- The problem does not happen from the interlaced outputs on above DVD players, just the progressive scan outs. I concluded that the problem pretty much has to be with TV itself, maybe some board or chip or whatever that routes the progressive scan signals, heck if I know. All I know is that is that it does it when it decides to and that I have to switch to the interlaced outs on my DVD player to remedie the problem all to often to watch movies.

What could cause this in an RPTV?

Thanks,
Rob

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I believe u've pretty much narrowed everything to the set and its pretty much in the prog scan. I could not think of any other thing to cause that. Sorry if I am not much of a help. U can try posting this at the hometheaterspot.com..at the Toshiba page. Someone might have a insight on it.
BTW, I too have a 65HX81. Good luck!

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Do the component video cables go straight from the DVD player to the TV? If so then I'd have to agree that the problem is with the TV. Next time it happens, take a picture so you can show the service tech what the problem looks like.

Thanks guys and yep I got pictures. I video taped the picture and whole process of me switching the inputs and the picture after. I think its just a matter of me having to wait for the support guys to come out again, scratch their heads and order a replacement set. I sure hope they can fix it by replacing a part or something. It took me hours to get the geometry just so! :)
Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks