What's new

New to the game (1 Viewer)

SeanK325

Agent
Real Name
Sean
so with the onkyo system i could always buy new speakers and keep the old receiver. does anyone know how the Sony system sounds? It seems to have some solid reviews on amazon.com. I'm a little concerned about the Onkyo's speakers not sounding as well as I'd like.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
With a HTiB system, the speakers are almost always the weakest link - which is another reason why having an upgrade path is so important.

The speakers in the Onkyo 5300 system aren't great:

- They have slightly below average sensitivity (85 and 86dB for fronts and center) - good sensitivity is closer to 90dB, and is a measure of how efficient the speakers are, or how easy they are to produce high volume levels.

- They are 6 ohm speakers, which is about as low as you want to go with a mainstream receiver designed to use 8 ohm speakers (like the Onkyo)

But they are still, IMO, far superior to the Sony speakers (where the sensitivity and frequency response numbers aren't disclosed at all...):

Comparing the subwoofers --

- Onkyo has a 10" subwoofer, Sony has a 6.5" subwoofer. Bigger is always better when it comes to subwoofers (and technically, 6.5" is not a subwoofer).

- Onkyo sub has 290W of power vs. 165W for Sony (at nearly double the wattage, this is a meaningful difference, and when it comes to subwoofers, wattage means a bit more than it does for the rest of the system.

- Onkyo sub reaches down to 25Hz, Sony sub reaches, well, they don't list that in the specs frankly, because a 6.5" driver isn't going to get anywhere near 25Hz.

Rest of the speakers:

- Onkyo mains have 5.5" drivers plus a 1" tweeter, Sony mains have what looks to be a single 3.25" driver. It's really hard to have a flat frequency response with a single driver.

Of course, you do bring up a good point - it does depend a great deal on how they actually sound. The only way to know which is best to you is to listen to them. We all hear things differently, and you can only trust the numbers so far. They tell only part of the picture, and a theoretical one at that.

Honestly, I would be pretty surprised if the Sony speakers were to outperform the Onkyo speakers in a head-to-head comparison, but that's not to say it's beyond the realm of the possible.

However, I keep coming back to the upgrade path - at least with the Onkyo system if you decide you don't like the speakers, or need something more, you can actually go out and get something to replace the stock speakers (even do so one speaker at a time, if needed). With the Sony system, you'd be out the whole shebang and back to square one.

kevin0128

Auditioning
Real Name
kevinlin
The reason that you can get those speakers from a 5300 is the fact that the owner is upgrading to better speakers that can be used with his 5300 receiver. Nike air max This is the reason we suggested to go with an Onkyo in the first place. So if you spend $100 on used 5300 speakers you have $279 left to try to find a 7.1 receiver. That would be possible if you purchased the Onkyo 508 for $247. So you need to compare the features of the two receivers to determine if you are getting a better deal vs buying a 5300 new for $379. [FONT= 宋体][/FONT[FONT= 宋体]http://[/FONT]www.airmax-uk.com[FONT= 宋体]][/FONT]Nike air max pas cher[FONT= 宋体][/FONT] [FONT= 宋体][/FONT[FONT= 宋体]http://[/FONT]www.airmax-uk.com[FONT= 宋体]][/FONT]Nike air max pas cher[FONT= 宋体][/FONT] [COLOR= #0000ff]Nike air max pas cher[/COLOR]

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
I have to agree with Jason. I believe if you take the Onkyo receiver that comes with the 5300 you will find that it is pretty much identical to Onkyo's 508 bottom line 7.1 receiver. That says a lot because you are getting a $250 receiver in a $359 package. I also don't like receivers that come with any type of a media player as what do you do if the player breaks? Naturally the weak sister of either of these two system will be the speakers, and Sony does not say much about the speakers with the SS370 but the sub appears to be a passive sub while the sub with the 5300 is powered. that is a big plus for the Onkyo. While I have not listened to an Onkyo 5300 in person, I did listen to two Sony systems with Air wireless surround speakers and while I am not sure if was the SS370 I was not impressed with either of them and one of them was the system with the very tiny satellites that cost close to $600.

The bottom line is the Onkyo will cost you $359 and the Sony $250, In my opinion I would go with the Onkyo, but if $100 bucks is important to you and you want to have those un-wireless wireless speakers and a system you will not be able to upgrade then the Sony is for you.

SeanK325

Agent
Real Name
Sean
So I see that I'm bringing my thread back from the dead. Had a couple issues (that's life) and needed to spend money elsewhere. I completely fell out of the loop when looking for a system. In any case, I know we discussed the Onkyo 5300, but I now see the 5400. What's different about it? I'm not too familiar with understanding all the decibel and ohm jargon, so bear with me. I still have a budget of around 300-350. The Sony systems are out of the question, as I can't upgrade and they're just sub-par. I'm not big on the design of the Onkyo systems as they seem a little outdated. However, function > form. Does anyone have any other recommendations for an entry-level system other than the Onkyo? EDIT: I read this review, among other similar posts about the cons on the Onkyo 5400: http://www.amazon.com/review/R3QDSI4K5HIVDN/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R3QDSI4K5HIVDN What exactly is deep color and how much am I going to miss it when playing on the PS3 (and eventually the PS4 next year, hopefully).

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Hi Sean,

A quick comparison of the features/specs between the 5400 and 5300 systems indicates the 5400 is in many small ways a step backwards when compared to the 5300.

All the speakers appear to be the same, however the subwoofer power on the 5400 system was cut down to 120W (compared to 290 for the 5300). I thought it was a typo, then saw the same specs listed in several places. The subs LOOK identical, but it seems they've been pared down a bit on the insides. Surprising, and a bit disappointing.

The 5400 also ditched the included iPod dock and a powered zone 2.

About the only thing the 5400 has that's better than the 5300 is a more advanced form of Audyssey setup utility that includes a microphone for auto-setup/calibration. The 5300 system doesn't include a mic, so it's comparitively limited. Regardless, you could get a SPL meter for yourself from RadioShack and accomplish the same thing, if you were so inclined.

I can't comment much on the deep color issue - I'm not much of a gamer and don't have any experience with it. Hopefully others can chime in with opinions on the matter.

Based on my quick research, there isn't much of a compelling reason to go with the 5400 as long as you can still find a 5300. The only other alternative would be if you don't mind getting a factory refurbished unit, Accessories4Less has a refurb 6300 system for $329 plus shipping. They are an authorized dealer of refurbed units, and provide a full 1 year warranty on their products. Several members here have shopped there with good results. The 6300 has the beefier subwoofer, and a slightly more advanced receiver. The receiver includes the iPod dock, and has the same version of Audyssey as the 5400. The receiver also upconverts analog video to HDMI, so for older, non-HDMI game systems, you can easily run them into the receiver and still only need one HDMI cable from receiver to TV.

SeanK325

Agent
Real Name
Sean
Jason Charlton said:
Hi Sean, A quick comparison of the features/specs between the 5400 and 5300 systems indicates the 5400 is in many small ways a step backwards when compared to the 5300. All the speakers appear to be the same, however the subwoofer power on the 5400 system was cut down to 120W (compared to 290 for the 5300).  I thought it was a typo, then saw the same specs listed in several places.  The subs LOOK identical, but it seems they've been pared down a bit on the insides.  Surprising, and a bit disappointing. The 5400 also ditched the included iPod dock and a powered zone 2. About the only thing the 5400 has that's better than the 5300 is a more advanced form of Audyssey setup utility that includes a microphone for auto-setup/calibration.  The 5300 system doesn't include a mic, so it's comparitively limited.  Regardless, you could get a SPL meter for yourself from RadioShack and accomplish the same thing, if you were so inclined. I can't comment much on the deep color issue - I'm not much of a gamer and don't have any experience with it.  Hopefully others can chime in with opinions on the matter. Based on my quick research, there isn't much of a compelling reason to go with the 5400 as long as you can still find a 5300.  The only other alternative would be if you don't mind getting a factory refurbished unit, Accessories4Less has a refurb 6300 system for $329 plus shipping.  They are an authorized dealer of refurbed units, and provide a full 1 year warranty on their products.  Several members here have shopped there with good results.  The 6300 has the beefier subwoofer, and a slightly more advanced receiver.  The receiver includes the iPod dock, and has the same version of Audyssey as the 5400.  The receiver also upconverts analog video to HDMI, so for older, non-HDMI game systems, you can easily run them into the receiver and still only need one HDMI cable from receiver to TV.
I didn't notice that. I just assumed with newer tech comes newer technology. Didn't think it would be that much of a downgrade on the sub. I'm familiar with ac4l.com. My only problem is that they charge a decent shipping fee, whereas amazon.com does not. With shipping, the 5300 is $330 and the 6300 is $380. Is the $50 worth the step to the 6300? I also like the sleeker design of the sub on the 6300, I must admit.
kelliem said:
Hey guys, I'm also new to the game! I have found the information that has already been given in this post very useful. However my sitation is some what different: I have recently just moved into a new apartment and am now considering a home theater to add a wow factor to my living room. The problem is that I really am a complete novice when it comes to technology! Therefore I would really appreciate some advice from some experts. My budget is around $2,500 and I would idieally like a neat system that wouldn't take up heaps of space as my living room is not exactly a mansion. Thank you in advance guys. Kellie :)
Kellie, with all due respect, because your budget is so much different than mine, I think you would find more luck starting your own thread. None of the systems that I've mentioned would come close to what you can get for $2500 and all the information here is catered towards a roughly $350 home theater system.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Sean, it's a tough call between the 5300 and the 6300 at only $50 more. If you have any non-HDMI sources, I would say probably go with the 6300. The better Audyssey is a selling point, but as this is your first system, I think it's safe to say you'll be blown away by the improved quality of a decent HT system that a slight difference in calibration probably won't be all that noticeable.

Hell, if budget is tight, opt for the cheaper system and blow the balance on a couple of great "demo-worthy" Blu-Rays!

SeanK325

Agent
Real Name
Sean
Jason Charlton said:
Sean, it's a tough call between the 5300 and the 6300 at only $50 more.  If you have any non-HDMI sources, I would say probably go with the 6300.  The better Audyssey is a selling point, but as this is your first system, I think it's safe to say you'll be blown away by the improved quality of a decent HT system that a slight difference in calibration probably won't be all that noticeable. Hell, if budget is tight, opt for the cheaper system and blow the balance on a couple of great "demo-worthy" Blu-Rays! 
I think for $50, I'd rather get a system with a better sub. I don't have any non-HDMI, other than a Wii which enjoys collecting dust. I can't find anything that has the same value as the 6300 from ac4l.com.

kelliem

Auditioning
Real Name
Kellie Maines
Hi Sean, Thanks for the tip, I'm sorry you can tell I'm new here! I will set up a new thread. Thank you.

SeanK325

Agent
Real Name
Sean
kelliem said:
Hi Sean, Thanks for the tip, I'm sorry you can tell I'm new here! I will set up a new thread. Thank you.
No worries. I'm new here, too. I just figured you'd be better off without me lol. I went to listen to the Onkyo 6300 today. My first reaction was, "Wow! Is that the size of the subwoofer?" That thing was huge. The receiver was gaudy, as are all of Onkyo's lower-end systems. The worst part is that the sub they had on display was broken, so I couldn't get the full effect, but the speakers sounded nice for the price point.

SeanK325

Agent
Real Name
Sean
Update: Went a different route and picked up a great deal on a nicer set-up. I coupled everything to an Onkyo TX-SR606. I ran the red/white audio from the receiver to the TV. Is the "optical" port for audio? If I choose to run an optical wire from the receiver to the TV, do I need to do anything else? Does it sound better?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Red and White are analog and stereo, not true surround sound, Optical is digital. Digital is usually true surround sound but most tv's only transmit a stereo signal from the optical port from an outside device like a cable box. If your tv has an internal cable box tuner or you are using the tv's internal tuner then you might get true surround sound out of the optical port. True surround sound should sound better than stereo but digital doesn't always sound better than analog. But I'd use optical anyway. but any external device like a dvd player or staellite box should be connected to the receiver for audio, not the tv. When you say "a nicer setup", what all did you get? :)

SeanK325

Agent
Real Name
Sean
gene c said:
Red and White are analog and stereo, not true surround sound, Optical is digital. Digital is usually true surround sound but most tv's only transmit a stereo signal from the optical port from an outside device like a cable box. If your tv has an internal cable box tuner or you are using the tv's internal tuner then you might get true surround sound out of the optical port. True surround sound should sound better than stereo but digital doesn't always sound better than analog. But I'd use optical anyway. but any external device like a dvd player or staellite box should be connected to the receiver for audio, not the tv. When you say "a nicer setup", what all did you get? :)
I'm a little confused at what you're trying to explain to me. Is connecting an optical cable from the receiver to my TV not going to work? Do I still need the red/white audio cables? I went with a Kef KHT3005. :D Way better than any $200-$300 Onkyo. The Kef is something I can keep for a very, very long time. On another note, should I "break in" the speakers and sub? Is there even such a thing or am I good to go right out of the box? Edit: I only have a Playstation 3 and the cable box. Both, however, aren't hooked to the receiver, but to the TV. I still get awesome sound, but would it be better if I run an HDMI from the receiver to the TV, then an HDMI from each of the PS3 and cable to the receiver?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Is connecting an optical cable from the receiver to my TV not going to work?
What is your goal in doing this? Normally this connection is made when you are using the TV's internal ATSC tuner. But I see you have a cable box therefore I would not recommend using that connection as it would be a waste.
On another note, should I "break in" the speakers and sub? Is there even such a thing or am I good to go right out of the box?
Yes, there is such a thing. It has no impact what so ever in your situation. As things loosen during regular listening, the spider on the sub will allow slightly deeper bass. I'll bet the change is so slight you won't even notice. It normally is only needed when you put a new sub in your car and put a 2,000 watt amp on it. Without proper break-in you can rip a spider easily.
Edit: I only have a Playstation 3 and the cable box. Both, however, aren't hooked to the receiver, but to the TV. I still get awesome sound, but would it be better if I run an HDMI from the receiver to the TV, then an HDMI from each of the PS3 and cable to the receiver?
In your current configuration you are only getting stereo sound. The only way to get digital surround with the new audio formats is using HDMI cables in the way you suggest.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by SeanK325

I'm a little confused at what you're trying to explain to me. Is connecting an optical cable from the receiver to my TV not going to work?

In a nutshell, no.

(Also, it's helpful to think in terms of the direction of signal flow - the optical connection actually goes FROM your TV TO the receiver)

You really should not use the TV for any sort of audio switching. Virtually all TVs downmix audio from any external sources to analog stereo before being output - even if the output is a "digital optical" connection, the signal being carried is simple analog stereo. Any digital 5.1 audio that was sent into the TV is lost when it's sent back out.

The preferred method of hookup is to go HDMI from each source to the receiver, then a single HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV. In this setup, the TV is nothing more than a monitor, and you let your nice new receiver and speakers do all the work (as they should). You leave your TV set to a constant input, mute the crappy TV speakers, and do everything else through the receiver.

Edit: Damn, Robert, you were 21 seconds faster on the draw... next time...

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
What Robert and Jason said...:tu: And Jason, Roberts got me by less than a minute so many times it's starting to get annoying! :D

SeanK325

Agent
Real Name
Sean
I really appreciate all the replies. This forum is very helpful. I'll go ahead and hook up the HDMI in the way I suggested, using the TV only as a monitor. My main concern was trying to maximize the sound quality and I guess the optical wire wouldn't help my situation.

SeanK325

Agent
Real Name
Sean
On an unrelated note, I'm too worried to max the volume on the speakers. I haven't gone above about 60% of the receiver capacity. Am I ok to wake the neighbors at night, or should I keep it at about halfway?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks