What's new

new to HTF, need advice on DVD player and Receiver (1 Viewer)

andy ball

Auditioning
I finally talked my wife into converting the dining room area of our home to a home theater room. We never really used it anyway. I framed in 2 walls to enclose the space. For the door, I went with a solid core interior door and I am going to put on a spring loaded hinge, so it will be in the closed position most of the time.

For the TV, I just bought a Pioneer SD643HD5. I hope it was a good choice. It had a good review on this site, and was $2400, new.

So now I need to pick out a receiver and a new DVD player. To test the TV and make sure that it was functional, I watched Gladiator on my old RCA POS DVD player, and I could see that I was going to need to get a prog scan.
I am open to all suggestions that are less than 300. I am not brand sensitive.

For the receiver, I need to be in the sub 400$ category, but would like the 6.1. I found a Pioneer 811 on ebay for 240, but again, if you guys have a suggestion, I am open to them.

I already have all of my speakers that I plan on using, they are JBL mains and Cambridge Soundworks rear surround. I chose them because I already have them, but I am frame building in the Entertainment unit and the speakers will be hidden behind a panel, so I can easily change them out later, as long as they fit on the shelf. Oh and I have a 15" AudioSource Sub, that for me sounds like plenty of bass.

The room is 11 x 17, with a 9 foot ceiling tat is flat. I plan on putting 2 lay-z-boys for the front row, and a sleeper sofa on a raised up platform for the 2nd row people. I built a platform for the TV to sit on so it will be raised off the floor 10 inches to give a more theater feel. Once Drywall is in, the whole room will be painted black and I am putting 4 2x8 foot acoustical panels covered with cloth on the ceiling and 2 on the front wall to hide speakers and xbox and dvd's. The receiver and center channel and dvd player will be on a shelf just above the TV, out of reach of my 2 year old, who wanted to see what a sandwich would do in her VCR.

I think I have covered it all, sorry for the long post. I am going to be bidding/shopping for the Receiver and DVD player this week, so if you have a recommendation, make it quick before I make a mistake.

And one side note, I am a dishnetwork PVR guy. So I am getting a second PVR508 for this room( 60 hours record time). I am not ready yet to get a HD receiver, maybe later, but I love the ability to PVR a PayPerView movie and watch it whenever. It has S-Video out, so I will have to see how that goes on the big TV. Lets hope it is OK.

James St

Supporting Actor
Welcome to the forum Andy. I have the 53" version of your tv and have been pleased with it. For a receiver in your price range with 6.1 capabilities I would check out the new Pioneer VSX-D912K. For a dvd player, the prices are dropping on the Panasonic RP-91. It's an older model with a price tag a little over your range but if you can find a good deal many here would agree that it would be a worthy addition.

andy ball

Auditioning
Thanks, How is the 912K different from a 811S? also, if I get a pioneer receiver, should I stick with that brand and get a pioneer DVD player?

Aaron_Morris

Stunt Coordinator
Well, if you aren't against referbs, www.accesories4less.com is a warranteed and autorized dealer for Marantz refurbs. A sr5200 (which I currently have and love despite it coming in not working, but that problem has been fixed) should be well under your budget. I think they even have the next model up for under $400. They are both have 6 powered channels with 6.1 and 7.1 output capabilities.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
No need to get the same model for dvd player and receiver. and actually the pioneer players ahve gotten bad reviews for PQ. If you can find a panasonic RP-82 thats a great player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks