What's new

New To HT-A/V Help & Speakers (1 Viewer)

Zak R.

Auditioning
Real Name
Zak
We are trying to decide between Onkyo 706 or 606? Budget $1000. We are leaning towards 706 but what speaker set? or individuals. Looked at Polks 6750 but sub and center have bad reps. Also, is PS3 the way to go for Blue ray or looking at Sony 350.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

That's odd, since a properly matched set of L/C/R speakers should all sound exactly the same. That's what "timbre matched" means, and the front three speakers should always be timbre matched. You can certainly mix and match subs and surrounds, but your mains (which term includes the center, contrary to urban legend
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
) should be of the same brand and from the same series to ensure a seamless soundstage.

And to echo David - is the $1,000 just for the receiver, or for the whole pacakage?

Regards,

Joe.

Zak R.

Auditioning
Real Name
Zak
It is $1000 for just the receiver and speakers. Went and bought the PS3 today for a blu-ray. Hope we won't have issues with that and the receiver. We are looking for the best bang for the buck for a receiver and speaker set-up. There are so many different options. We bought a 50" Samsung Plasma TV and have a X360 also to hook up.

Thirsty Ear

Auditioning
Real Name
Vincent Weibel
I would go with the onkyo 706. You can pick one up at amazon for $547.13 shipped. This leaves you with $452 on speakers. This amount alone is not enough for a good sub so I would spend it all on the satellite speakers and spring for a sub later.

I am a huge NHT fan. They are great speakers for the what they cost. I grew up with a house full on all kinds of great speakers. Everything from self powered AR speakers to full range Martin logan electrostatic speakers. The NHT speakers in my opinion preformed the best based on the size, quality of sound and cost. There are several sizes of NHT speakers. I like the NHT SB2’s and plan to build my system with these. They have 6.5” woofer and a 1” dome tweeter.

My dad has bought from ebay three used pairs of NHT’s speakers in good condition for less then $150 each pair.

I am in college and don’t have the money to spend on new speakers, so ebay is my option for now. I my self just bought an Onkyo 705 from an ebay store for $449 new. In the last few weeks several sets of NHT speakers have sold for an average of $150 a pair. So if you bought four NHT SB2 it could cost you only $300. This leaves $152 for the center channel and they have been going for $120 to $150. The total cost would be right at about $1000 for speakers and a receiver. As far as subs go I like the Velodyne SPL-1000R. It is a sealed 10” woofer and has a microphone that helps calibrate the sub with your room.

Yes they are used and will take time to buy, but it keeps the price down without buying a bunch of crapy sounding new speakers for the same or more cost.

Here is my planed system.

Fronts $150 Used from ebay..... NHT SB2...... average price $150 for a used pair in good condition

Center $130 Used from ebay......SC-2 NHT

Rears $150Used from ebay..... NHT SB2...... average price $150 for a pair in good condition

Sub $700Velodyne SPL-1000R

Receiver $449 Onkyo 705 7.1

sestamuch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonas

If you don't have much in the way to spend then ebay will definitely will be your best bet.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

OK Zak, I throw out some general advice for you to get started.

First, for $1000 you can get a decent (starter) setup. Spend a more on speakers than receivers. Receivers wear out and are obsolete quickly (a few years). Good speakers can last a very long time.

Now, for my recommended $1000 setup... Since you have a PS3, you can get away with a much cheaper receiver. Something like the Onkyo 576 for about $300. For $300 you can get a 5.0 set from Fluance - Fluance SXHTB+ 5 Speaker Surround Sound Home Theater System. Add an excellent sub from SVS for $429 - SVSound - Box Subwoofers - and you have yourself a decent setup for $1k.

AudioFreak

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
I ordered that setup,without the sub.Should be here at the end of the week.They are a very reputable company,I know people who purchased stuff from them.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks