What's new

New to Home Theaters (1 Viewer)

bravekc

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken
Ok so I'm new to home theaters in general. I've dreamet up this component list of what I'd like to buy here in the near future. I'll have to do it in small steps. I've been researching for the past 4ish months on what to buy and educating my self about home theaters in general. I mainly want to use my theater for cable, blueray, 3D blueray, lots of internet videos, music, and video games. T.V. Sony 60" 3D LED-LCD KDL60EX720 Don't really care for 3d much yet but, my kids will like it. AVR Not sure which yet Yamaha RX-V671, Pioneer VSX-1021-K, Denon AVR 1912 Speakers Haven't quite figured out how to match speakers yet. I like the idea of a set of Klipsch Speakers. Now if I'm right all of the AVRs that I choose rated at 90 watts RMS per channel and 8ohms so I need speakers that are rated for 90 watts RMS and 8ohms? What if I buy speakers that are rated at 150 watts RMS and 8ohms? Also since the AVRS all are 7.1 Do I need to have speakers for all channels? Can I run a 5.1 setup with those AVRS? And, last for the rear speakers I like the idea of using floor standing speakers for the front L/R and also for the rear L/R speakers. It seems like most setups are 2 floor standing speakers and two rear bookshelf speakers. Does it matter? 3D Blueray/DVD PS3 320GB Is that a quality 3D Blueray/Blueray player? Or does it not matter everything will be hooked up with HDMI 1.4. Also an Xbox 360 Home Networking Apple 3TB Time Capsule. I plan on having everything connected to the router by LAN. So I can use airplay I also watch alot of videos from the internet so I want to be able to channel everything through the T.V./AVR. T.V. $1799 AVR I'm Flexiable with about the 500$ range with the one that i have picked it seems like that is very possible Speakers-Does'nt really matter id like to keep it in 1000-2000 range for a full 7.1 setup. PS3-$350 2 or 3TB Time Capsule 300-500 Add another $1000 for unseen costs and cables and other mics, things. Total- $5649 If I can do it for $5000 I'd be happy. Realistic and major flaws or missing components? Sorry for my stupid questions!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
all of the AVRs that I choose rated at 90 watts RMS per channel and 8ohms so I need speakers that are rated for 90 watts RMS and 8ohms?
No.
What if I buy speakers that are rated at 150 watts RMS and 8ohms?
They ply just fine. You can buy speakers rated at 1,500w and they will play also. Wattage is mostly a useless specification. You are looking at AVRs near 100w per channel so make sure your speakers are around that. The impedance rating of the AVR and matching it to the speaker is much more important. If your AVR will drive an 8 ohm or 6 ohm load, then make sure you don't buy any speakers that are rated lower than 6 ohms. A few of us here break that rule because we have researched deeper about our AVRs and found out they will drive a 4 ohm load.
since the AVRS all are 7.1 Do I need to have speakers for all channels? Can I run a 5.1 setup with those AVRS?
A 7.1 receiver will work fine in 7.1 mode, 5.1 mode, 3.1 mode, 2.1 mode or 2.0 mode (plain stereo). They are flexible.
last for the rear speakers I like the idea of using floor standing speakers for the front L/R and also for the rear L/R speakers. It seems like most setups are 2 floor standing speakers and two rear bookshelf speakers. Does it matter?
In a perfect world, all 7 of your speakers are identical. Most of us go cheaper and use bookshelf speakers for the side and rear surrounds because they are cheaper and/or easier to place around the room.
3D Blueray/DVD PS3 320GB Is that a quality 3D Blueray/Blueray player? Or does it not matter
It matters to some. Not to others. Oppo is a very highly reviewed player as well as others. PS3 does get high marks.
Speakers-Does'nt really matter id like to keep it in 1000-2000 range for a full 7.1 setup.
Go for the $2000 range. Quality speakers will last for decades.
2 or 3TB Time Capsule 300-500
I had not even heard of a Time Capsule until yesterday when I was researching NAS and the FreeNAS operating system. A guy on You Tube had used an old PC from the 90's to emulate a Time Capsule. Everything was free except for the new drives.
Add another $1000 for unseen costs and cables and other mics, things.
Cables - Monoprice.com. Mic - Your receiver will come with one. If you want to go to the next step of calibration, then a good SPL meter is $50-$100. Going to Room EQ Wizard will be about $200 for parts. Depending on the sub, you may need an EQ like a Behringer Feedback Destroyer. It will be difficult to use your $1,000 misc budget.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Robert hit it all, but just a couple of elaborations ... Regarding receiver/speaker power ratings. The receiver spec is peak power, and the speaker spec is an average "endurance" rating. To make it worse, power is not linear, it varies by frequency, so saying "90W" is correct for a specified frequency band. As long as you are buying standard speakers for a standard receiver, just ignore the power ratings. Expensive cables are a *complete* waste of money. Do not talk yourself into anything remotely resembling, "well, I spent so much money on the other parts of the system, I might as not well not take any chances here." Rule #1, do note buy Monster anything, but especially cables. Rule #2, buy through Monoprice (or Bluejeans) if you have the time to order through the internet. Otherwise, anything from Radio Shack, Best Buy, or my favorite, Home Depot works fine. If you aren't going a long distance from you receiver to your TV, cables should cost from $100-150, including speaker wire. Which brings up the speaker guage debate. Anything from 12-16 is fine. I use 16, I think 12 is definitely overkill; but I'll hear about that.

bravekc

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken
Ok, first off thanks! So if my receiver can run 6 ohms or 4 ohms is that going to produce better sound quality? Now as for the Time Capsule it does kind of seem like a waste of money to me I need to research it better. I just really like the wireless router it can run two bands (2.4GHz and 5GHz) simultaneously and that it auto backs up my wife's mac book and our iphones. And then I will use it as a share drive too over our home network. Also it has 3 LAN ports so I can have the T.V., AVR, and PS3 on LAN without having a router. Going to see if i can find something similar for cheaper. The misc. $1000 should have explained better figured I would add it because I'm not quit sure where to begin with speakers and it seems like I can easily spend money on speakers. Looked into hdmi cables and it seems as long as I stay under a 2 meter cable I wont have any problems true? And, all hdmi cables produce the same quality even if the are the cheap generic brand or the 24k gold and platinum diamond encrusted silver dipped copper monster ridiculously expensive cable. Figured I would need speaker cable like you said cant really spend more than 100$ on it. Also I do live in Hawaii and will defiantly shop on the internet because they prices are jacked up here. And, obviously can always find better deals on the internet. So I was thinking of shipping cost too usually we don't qualify for the free shipping some depends on where I buy from.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So if my receiver can run 6 ohms or 4 ohms is that going to produce better sound quality?
No. There are crappy 4 ohm and 6 ohm speakers. It does open your options to more speakers though.
Looked into hdmi cables and it seems as long as I stay under a 2 meter cable I wont have any problems true?
I use a 35 foot HDMI cable from Monoprice. Works great like all of their other items.
And, all hdmi cables produce the same quality even if the are the cheap generic brand or the 24k gold and platinum diamond encrusted silver dipped copper monster ridiculously expensive cable.
Not all cables are the same. But Monoprice has proven itself over and over again with both quality equipment and customer service. Even on the non-home theater forums I frequent, Monoprice is the recommended source for all audio and video cables.
Figured I would need speaker cable like you said cant really spend more than 100$ on it.
I would have agreed before the price of copper started going up. But speaker wire is speaker wire. One of the fancy-shmancy magazines did a blind test with the uber-expensive speaker wire but slipped in a ringer. It came in 2nd. The HD-12 wire with the orange cover had all kinds of praise. Then the listeners found out it was a Home Depot extension cord.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
So if my receiver can run 6 ohms or 4 ohms is that going to produce better sound quality?
Reciever impedance ratings never directly effect sound quality directly. (You can get good or bad quality from a low impedance or high impedance receiver.) If a receiver can run 4 ohm speakers in what I'll call "native mode" (no switch), then that receiver is sturdier in that it can supply more current to achieve the specified power rating without clipping. That receiver will likely cost more, but its only benefit is the ability to run 4 ohm speakers, there's no crossover benefit. You said "I can easily spend money on speakers", and that's a good point. Speakers should have the largest budget of your system. It's where you get the most direct effect on the sound. (Not the receiver/amp, which throws off a lot of people.) they also last the longest in most cases, for what that's worth.

bravekc

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken
I wish I could have a room dedicated to a HT! I'm in the military and will be moving outta the house I'm in now. And, for housing on base i just don't have the room for it. So hopefully one day when I'm out and buy my 1st house I can plan for it. I'm super excited for black Friday that is the day I buy my first component! The T.V. is selling for 1799$ here locally best part too no sales tax. So I'm going to venture out at about midnight and go get in line so i can buy it. The cheapest i can fine online right now for it is 2126$. I believe the ads will be coming out here soon for the rest of the stores if not already. But, I'll check out those sites. Thanks again!

bravekc

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken
So i did a bit of research today on speakers. I found Klipsch Synergy F-30 Floor standing speakers. I read a review about them on audioholics seem like exactly what I'm looking for. Also found them on sale for 229$ on black friday. I do kinda feel like they are kind of cookie cutter speakers tho kinda like bose. But, they seem like decent 1st set of nice speaker for what i want and need. Im curious if any one else has any other suggestions for a speaker roughly similar to them or how you feel about the F-30s. Thank in advance!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I do kinda feel like they are kind of cookie cutter speakers tho kinda like bose
Please don't compare Bose products to Klipsch products. Other than admiring their founders (Dr. Amar Bose and Paul Klipsch), that's about where the similarities end. Back in the day, Bose did make some highly regarded products but not that much any more. Do a little searching here for the hard truth. Klipsch on the other hand still makes their classic line with Klipschorns and Heresys. They built on that technology with the Traxis (sp?) horn to make similar sounding tower speakers. Bose went small and started advertising to the less informed market. The Klipsch sound is different. Some find the highs crisp and bright. Others find them harsh. You need to decide for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks