What's new

New to home theaters, but I bought a receiver off a whim (1 Viewer)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
As long as it has enough inputs for your gear, no problem. It should be a good sounding receiver.

What type of speakers do you want? Satellite, bookshelf, towers? Budget?

SCaliberver4

Auditioning
Real Name
Travis
I'm not too worried about inputs. It'll probably just be 2 consoles and a PC. As for the speakers, I think satellites will be good for now. I was looking at some today, Infinity TSS-500 5.1, that I could be get for $60-70. Think they would be good? It has no sub, but I have a 10" JBL laying around .I'm just used to car audio for the most part, and Infinity and JBL have always been my picks. I'm not too sure if they stand the test of being in the home though.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Welcome to the forum Travis.

Without the sub that Infinity system only goes down to 150 Hz, not sure if your JBL sub will cover those kind of frequencies. If the sub will cross over that high you will really be able to localize it and youll loose a lot of the surround sound effects. A better idea is to invest in bookshelf speakers that have decent output down to 80 Hz. If you like Infinity the Infinity Primus line is great bang for the buck. I have owned the Infinity Primus line and I thought they were fatiguing however I did line the insides of the cabinets with a dampening layer and that helped, still in use in my bedroom as music speakers.

I would also check out the Pioneer SP-BS22LR bookshelf speakers.

SCaliberver4

Auditioning
Real Name
Travis
Would the bookshelf speakers need a center and rear speakers? Maybe I could use the Infinitys for that along with then.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
It really depends on your budget but really there is no substitute for a 5.1 system. Even if your budget requires starting with two book shelf speakers, and you intend to add channels as the budget permits, there's no shame in building a 5.1 as money permits. The TSS-500, while it will be 5.1 from the start, will still always be limited to a 150 Hz crossover and thus will always give you a very directional and identifiable sound from your JBL sub. Whereas a 80 Hz crossover capable system, even if built in stages, will provide the proper surround sound effect while not revealing your sub's location in the process.

SCaliberver4

Auditioning
Real Name
Travis
Ah, I see what you're getting at. Alrighty, I'll check out some more bookshelf speakers and such. Thanks!

SCaliberver4

Auditioning
Real Name
Travis
I see the bookshelf and tower versions are only $20 different on Amazon. Do you think the towers are worth the money and me slightly moving my lamp and potted plant?

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
SCaliberver4 said:
I'm not too worried about inputs. It'll probably just be 2 consoles and a PC
Be aware that the receiver you've listed has no HDMI inputs, so unless you're planning to run composite video in to it you're out of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks