New to home theater...looking for a TV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by ClemsonSCJ, Dec 6, 2013.

1. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    LG is "not" the same company that was Goldstar. Goldstar learned to make quality product back in the late 80s. Mitsubishi needed cash to develop the 40" tube. They sold their manufacturing of 26" and smaller TV to Goldstar. The promise was, Goldstar had to match Mits quality. For the most part, they did.Lucky has a worldwide reputation for quality product(in that industry, you can't have a bad one anyway).Lucky bought Goldstar(hence...LG) when Goldstar made itself viable as a CE power.

Stephen_J_H likes this.
  2. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Just glad our last-gen(?) Samsung LED-lit DLP RPTV is still going strong (after replacing the red LED a couple years back).

IF it dies before OLED becomes viable for us, I'll probably finally jump to a modest FP setup instead. Almost jumped on the BenQ W1070 just recently anyway... and still might as we finally settle on our "new" home arrangement... In our case, I'd also have use for the FP for (very) occasional use outside the home as well.

_Man_

3. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Goldstar made horrible product and that is why when Lucky and Goldstar merged LG did not want to advertise the fact that they used to be Goldstar. I would never recomend them and no LG display or player will ever reside in my home theater.

4. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Considering LG BD players have apps that always work...firmware that always works...How often is there a "my LG won't play X thing" compared to a Samsung? Forget LG made THX cert plasma? Till this year, LG plasma had better blacks than Samsung had.

5. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    I have an LG BD player hooked up to my main floor TV which works very well, including the apps (Netflix, etc.). I also have an LG HE washer and dryer. Any comments about GoldStar are now null and void.

6. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    From 2005 - 2009 I worked delivering appliances and hooking them up all over the Phoenix, Arizona area. I found very few people that had anything nice to say about there LG appliances! And when we delivered new appliances they where Whirlpool, Kitchen Aid, Frigidaire and GE's and when they where replacing LG appliances and in all cases we hauled the LG away because the unit had failed and most of the time they where 4-5 years old. So I honestly do not think it is null and void. People love what they love and we will leave it at that.

7. Nathan_F

Nathan_F Second Unit

Nathan
    Love my LG fridge (8 years+ and going strong) and LG washer/dryer. All rated as tops by Consumer Reports and great value. And the LG W/D replaced a GE Profile set that lasted less than 4 years.

8. Smithjhon77

Smithjhon77 Auditioning

Smith jhon
    I think these are the same People that a couple of years back attempted to say a LG HDTV was almost as great as a Pioneer Elite Kuru, ya right! For me it is tricky to trust anything Consumer Reports says particularly when I see reports or correlations I know aren't right or skewed. I put more stock in individuals who really own the item than I do Consumer Reports.

9. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    It was laughable when consumer reports claimed the LG was as good as the Pioneer Elite Kuru, ya right not on any planet. Especially since consumer reports had been caught taking money from companies I do not listen to them anymore.