What's new

New to DIY (1 Viewer)

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
Well, I need to know what kind of tools I will need to build a simple sub. It's going to be a box, and I want it to have a nice finish.
Really, all I need is a tool to make a ROUND hole. I am going to learn how to mount the drivers layer. I will be asking more on the BB when I have the right tools. I won't start unless Im sure I know what I'm doing:D
I was thinking of using a Car audio driver. (Sub) Will this work? For now, I will be using a sony minisystem as the amp. (If it keeps shutting off, I will buy something else)
And advice would be great!;)

A

Anthony_Gomez

The easiest thing to build is a sonotube subwoofer.
Pat has some exceedingly well documented subs that you should look at
http://www.patcave.com/
To build a sonosub, you really only need a router, jasper jig (www.partsexpress.com), and a drill. A jig saw will make life easier for trimming down sonotube or for internal bracing.
If you want a box, then you will need access to a table saw as well.
MOST car audio subs are inadiquate for home theater. There are a ffew exceptions. List your driver and we'll see. T/S parameters will really help (Vas, Qtc, Fs etc).
Your sony amp will DIE if it tries to power the sub.
What type of budget do you have? Is this for music or HT?

eric

Agent
if youre gonna do this, make sure to have a video camera handy...cuz id like to see some footage of the meltdown! ;)
yes, that is a bad idea, even for a short time. its better to save, and buy the right thing in the first place, than to have to replace something, and still need the other part.
eric

Ron D Core

Stunt Coordinator
The least you can do really is make a box, use that sub, just get a sub amp. The 100 watt one from parts express would work ok depending on the driver.

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
Well, I found the DAYTON 12" TITANIC MKII SUBWOOFER 4 OHM and it looks great! Can anybody else think of a cheep driver that would be better??

A

Anthony_Gomez

Not better, but in the more economical bracket is the BPD1201. Bill is taking orders now and has a 5% off on the pre-order.
www.missiondigital.net
THis driver does like the larger enclosures compared to some other 12's, but you ca get away with a 150watt amp.

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
If people can use old, low power pro logic or 2ch recievers, why wouldn't the sony work. In 2 ch, it has more power then the OnkyoSR600 running in 5.1;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks