What's new

New to DIY cables (interconnects and speaker) (1 Viewer)

Neil_S

Stunt Coordinator
I have been following the DIY cable thread that has been going on... I have no experience to DIY cables but I think is is a good opportunity for me because I'm needing both interconnects and speaker cables (for bi-amp of my Energy C6's).
I see that people are using Belken 89259 or 1506a for component video. How are these for either receiver to amp
interconnects or speaker cable? I took a look at the links but I got such a head rush from information I'm still trying to sift through it all.
Suggestions? I would need short lengths for the interconnects and 5 or 6 foot runs for the speakers (and I see the speakers cables are made from two sections. The core of one intertwined with the outer mesh of the other and vice
versa). I guess about 40 or 50' total for everything. Where do you suggest purchasing?
Thanks!

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Belden has a very good online catalog (www.belden.com) with white papers and even recommendations on which items to use for audio, video and speaker cable.
------------------

Neil_S

Stunt Coordinator
D'oh! You are correct. I meant Belden ('k', 'd', what's the difference?). I'll take a look at the catalog. What type does everyone here use? As I've said, from what I've been reading many use the Belden brand as opposed to others...
Thanks for the help,
Neil

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm building a new Entertainment unit and when done I'll be attempting my own interconnects. I was going to use Quad Sheild RG6 for everything including Component video. Using Crimp RCA Connectors for RG6. Anyone have any comments or warnings.

David A. Frattaroli

Stunt Coordinator
Dave, which RG6 cable were you planning on using? Also, why RG6 and not RG59. I've been considering using Canare V3-5CFB. It's RG59 with 400mHz bandwith.
------------------

Scott_G

Second Unit
I made my own Component video cables with RG6. I used Belden 1189a Series 6 broad band coax cable. Cost was the main issue. Have you priced 40 foot component cables
eek.gif

Used some R/S gold rca plugs - they are a pain to solder. The cable was only $.17 a foot. I had under $35 for the set. They are big and ugly but they have loads of bandwidth RG-59 would have been fine and easier to work with but the Picture looks great.

Neil_S

Stunt Coordinator
Ok... Here is what it looks like I will be going with (unless someone convinces me otherwise)...
For both speaker wire and interconnects:
Belden 89259
For connectors:
Canare RCAP-C53 or RCAP-5F (opinions on these?)
I'm looking for a good supplier of both and I'll let you know how my project goes...
Neil

MikeTC

Stunt Coordinator
I would look into the 8281F (RG59, 20AWG) instead of 89259 (RG59, 22AWG) as component of a speaker wires because it is also stranded with thicker center for better performance. I like to locate a stranded RG6 for my DIY speaker wires but no luck yet.
For everything else, I would go with Belden's top of the line 1694A (RG6) for Audio & Video (Anaolog or Digital) interconnects.
RCAP-C53 (1694A) and RCAP-C5F (L-5CFB) are use for RG6 cables. I think 89259 uses the smaller RCAP-C3* series; check with Canare.
I recommend HaveInc for connectors and cables; nice people and good prices.
------------------
MikeyTC

MikeTC

Stunt Coordinator
Hi David A. Frattaroli,
V3-5CFB (400 MHZ) is RG6. You may be thinking of V3-3CFB that is RG59 but it only have 200 MHZ Bandwidth.
Go with RG6 if all possible.
------------------
MikeyTC

Neil_S

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the good info! The more information I get, the less I realize I know!!
I received e-mail from sales at Pacific Radio (www.pacrad.com) regarding questions I had to the Belden cables. I was told that the 89259 is plenum and not necessary if it will not be used in walls or under carpet. The 9259 is the exact same but not plenum rated and 1/3 of the cost. She then suggested this:
"89259 is only justified if you need to use plenum cable. otherwise 9259 is adequate. 1505 is rated for serial digital video, and is probably overkill for this app. however, if you want to build for the future, then look at Belden 1694 or 1855. Basically speaking, 9259/89259 are cables rated for
home/consumer type systems. 1505/1855/1694 are professional video cables."
Considering this hobby is all about overkill, I decided to look into the 1694. Whoa. Here is what I learned:
"75ohm, Precision Serial Digital Coaxial Video Cable, RG-6/U CMR Rated, Black 1694A is a 75ohm low loss, double-shielded, CMR rated precision serial digital video cable for use in maximum performance applications demanding higher frequency technologies. Supports data rates in excess of 360Mb/s and provides as much as 30% lower attenuation at 1GHz.
Belden BLD 1694A
AWG: 18 (solid)
center dia: .040In
center material: bare copper
center nom dcr: 6.4ohm/M' (21.0ohm/km)
component wide screen: 1051ft (320m)
componet video 1200ft: (366m)
composite NTSC 1588ft: (484m)
composite PAL 1443ft: (440m)
HDTV: 1051ft (320m)
insulation: Gas Injected Foam High Density Polyethylene
nom attenuation @ 1000Mhz: 6.2dB/100ft (20.5dB/100m)
nom capacitance: 16.2pF/ft (53.1pF/m)
nom core od: .180In (4.57mm)
nom impedance: 75ohm
nom overall od: .275In (6.99mm)
nom velocity of propagation: 82%
shield nom dcr: 2.8ohm/M' (9.2ohm/km)
shields material: Duofoil +95% tinned copper braid, 100% coverage"
This one is 18 gauge! At Pacific Radio it costs 0.43/foot in lengths over 100 feet. I'm going to do more research but this one is looking promising!!!

MikeTC

Stunt Coordinator
You have seen the light and some good info you have there too :) :)
Go to HaveInc.com 1694A - $.21 per ft with a cut charge of $7 but you could get any length you want. The RCAP-C53 connector is $2.75 each.
Just remember, the 1694A is the top of the line for Belden; there is no better.
Let me know how they sound.
------------------
MikeyTC

Justin T

Agent
Hey MikeTC, I got some questions I need answered. First, Can you give me the web address for Havelnc.com or an 800#? I had trouble logging on. What would be a good book to get on helping me "brush" up on my soldering technique (I will practice on some leftover "cheap" cables I've got)? What do you think about crimping vs.soldering? Does Havelnc carry RCA connectors in the style of WBT brand connectors? And finally, what do you think about Monster Cable's Interlink series (400mkII) compared to Belden's? Sorry about all the questions. Thanks.

Neil_S

Stunt Coordinator
I've been having trouble getting in contact with Have Inc also. Whenever I try looking at the online catalog it bounces me back to the start page. Several days ago I sent e-mail asking about prices and quantities but have not yet received a reply.
Neil

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Their website is www.haveinc.com. If you can't find the tel. no., I "have" it somewhere. If you are looking for quality RCAs, they have Neutrik 'Pro Fi' which is not bad.
------------------

David A. Frattaroli

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to try the Belden 1694A with RCAP-C53 connectors but I don't think the crimper die I ordered will work for RCAP-C53's. I have the Canare TS100E stripper and TCD-5CF crimp die. The chart on the Canare site says that RCAP-C53 connectors require the RCAP-35C crimp. I don't want to spend another $70 or $80 on another die.
------------------

MikeTC

Stunt Coordinator
Justin,
I usually call HaveInc. when I order and never was there a problem. The web address above works and I don't have their 800 no. I think calling 1-800-555-1212 for directory would work.
You don't really need a book to solder the Canare RCAP-C53 crimp connector. Practice on cheap cable is good. Basic rules for solder:
1) Clean the solder surface with alcohol so its grease free.
2) Heat solder area enough so the solder will melt but not burn when apply.
3) Don't touch the solder and heated surface with your body parts (Ha, Ha).
You can buy the crimp from Canare (over $100) or do what I do and just solder the center pin onto the center conductor. Put the center conductor into the center pin; heat the center pin so the solder will melt and get suck into the joint when applied. Stick the center pin into the RCA body until it clicks. Some people may have opinions on crimp verse solder but hey, it works for me.
Use any RG6 cable crimp pliers (the less expensive the better) and crimp the outer jacket to the cable. I would go as far as using regular home pliers for this task without spending extra money.
I had compared some Monster cables with my DIY cables and I could not hear any difference. I don't know the cable that you mention above but Monster cables spend a lot of $$$ on marketing so do you know where that money is coming from?
I don't know WBT connectors but Canare seems to make fine (great) connectors.
David,
I would not spend a lot of money on stripper, crimp or crimp die unless you are thinking about going into the cable production business. See above for crimp saver ($$$)instruction. I'm in the Aerospace business and could use all kind of expensive stripper, crimps etc. but I choose to use my good old (already own) home pliers, strippers and crimper. Spend your money on DVD instead. :) :)
------------------
MikeyTC

Neil_S

Stunt Coordinator
MikeTC, when did you get the quote for the 1694A? I just received a quote (from Haveinc) for $0.32/foot. The RCAP-C53 are $3.35 each. This is still the lowest price I've seen but much more than you had quotes for.
Neil
PS, the Earthquake we just had was pretty cool! 7.0!

Justin T

Agent
Thanks for the info MikeTC. When you get a chance, check out Link Removed The RCA connectors they have are threaded, so you can get a more secure fit and tighter connection. I was wondering if Canare, or anyone else, have that style of connector. The WBTs are nice but too expensive ($35/each!!)Of course, A crimp style would be prefered, since my soldering is a "little" rusty. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks