What's new

New to Blu? Buy a PS3: the most featured BD hardware available... (1 Viewer)

Patrick.C

Second Unit

Schmartz.com is also working on an infrared to bluetooth converter. The developer has posted updates over at AVS but nothing is on the site yet.

ralphPerez

Stunt Coordinator

Finally got it hooked up had to call my ISP and they went by the Ports settings as describe by a call to Sony about the PS3 ports.

Thanks anyways

Patrick.C

Second Unit
It seems that the 2.2 firmware update has disabled the power on/off feature of the schmartz PS3IR+PWR. There looks to be a workaround with a powered USB hub, etc. but with this problem, in combination with the ir2bt about to become available, the developer just posted this over at AVS about his own ir to bt product:

Sounds like his newest product will be making his previous one obsolete.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I was lucky enough to win $2800.
So I made the leap to Blu-Ray today and bought a PS3 and a nice 32" Samsung TV.

Already having this for about a day, I'm SO glad I made the leap to Blu-Ray.
Having previously been an owner to HD DVD, I knew what I was basically in for.

But this PS3 is quite the machine.

ANOTHER proud Blu-ray owner:)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

AKA tax return! ;)

It sure is quite the machine. In my upstairs system, it's essentially the hub.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I think the hardware limitations may prevent bitstream support for HD audio. After all, if it's not HDMI 1.3, it's not. The end.

However, as long as it can internally decode it and send it LPCM I'll be happy. It can already do that for TrueHD. Just need it for DTS-HD MA.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I can't remember where I read it (and it was on the web, so even if I did, it may be incorrect) but I believe that in the early stages of HDMI 1.3 there were actually two flavors, and the implementation the PS3 used was of the variety that could not pass the bitstream of the new HD CODECS via HDMI.

The only hope, according to those who were posting that information, was that the PS3 would internally decode the soundtracks internally and transmit them via PCM 5.1 through HDMI.

Again, this is just from memory, take it with a huge grain of salt.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Paul,

I'm looking at that thread now (and also the posts mentioned in AVS), but I do *not* see where it actually says (or even implies clearly enough) the PS3 can *not* support bitstreaming of advanced lossless audio codecs.

Can you clarify for me exactly where you see that suggested?

Offhand, I could only guess that maybe the PS3's HDMI hardware has an upper limit on audio bandwidth that just happens to fall between the required LPCM bandwidth, which is pretty high itself, and whatever max (but not sustained) requirement for the advanced codecs. Whatever the PS3 has, it'd need to at least handle the LPCM bandwidth, and that's not exactly small either.

_Man_

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

The end? PS3 has HDMI 1.3. It´s not that end.. ;)

Yes, I´ve been reading these rumors that PS3 can´t support "bitstream", but until I hear something "official" (haven´t read the linked thread yet, though), it´s "unconfirmed".

Since I´ll get Yamaha v1800 A/V receiver soon, I definitely want "HD-bitstream"-support to my player. It´s boring if every HD-audio is marked "PCM" on my receiver.. I wan to see "TrueHD" and "DTS-MA" on the display! ;)

Well, PS3 has been great so far and the (possible) lack of bitstream is not a deal breaker. I´ll probably get the stand-alone player in any case in the future (which will have everything!)..

Users who are viewing this thread