What's new

New to Blu? Buy a PS3: the most featured BD hardware available... (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
To keep things in perspective, what the PS3 is "failing" at is correctly identifying a quick change in cadence when SD signals change (which would change the type of deinterlacing algorithm that's used).

This won't be an issue for folks who are just sitting and watching film-based 3-2 cadence DVDs that are properly authored.

Cadence-detection issues asside (which would be nice to be improved, no one would argue), the objective image quality of the upscaled DVD images on the PS3 is superb... but that's not what the Secrets evaluation is testing.

Rogozhin

Stunt Coordinator
What a strange review. Why would they admit that they are reviewing only %1 of a player's attributes?

Rogo

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Secrets Evaluations of DVD players has always focused almost exclusively on deinterlacing performance and a few other criteria like passing blacker-than-black and whiter-than-white. it's a very useful evaluation tool as no one else really takes all DVD players and puts them through the same rigorous set of deinterlacing tests. But the speed of a player's cadence-change-detection is only one small factor in overall DVD performance with real world content (most of which is just 3-2 film-based), and it doesn't even touch on many issues that might impact subjective image quality much more during extended viewing of properly authored 3-2 film-based material such as the quality of the upscaling etc.

Patrick.C

Second Unit
Has anyone used a Motorola cell phone or Blackberry A/C charger to charge the PS3 controllers? I heard this would work but I want confirmation before I plug it in (those Sixaxxis controllers are too pricey to risk).

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

This is not an issue for me at all...I watch only film based SD-DVDs and no anime or foreign films/different regions and such. That being said, I think it does an EXCELLENT job at upscaling and have never had an issue with it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I agree with you, Ron. I haven't used any calibration discs to check anything or measure anything. I'm just dead-eyeing what I see, and I think the PS3 does an exceptional job with upscaling sDVDs.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ah that explains it. I'm fairly sensitive to certain deinterlacing and combing artifacts (my RP91 wasn't good at either) so I was initially really surprised at how poorly the PS3 scored on Secrets (and admittedly I didn't examine the details).

My own anecdotal experience, watching ~100 DVDs on my PS3 upscaled to my SXRD TV set, is that it hands down not only blows away my old DVD player, but I couldn't detect (visually) any flaws in the performance. Some really well authored DVDs look near-HD it's frightening. Of course I generally watch movies from the big 7 studios (with a smattering of foreign films) that would probably fall under the "properly authored" category.

I do notice combing still on Family Guy episodes, but every player I've ever played those DVDs in (several PCs and laptops, RP91, Macs, PS3) shows those artifacts.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Sorry if this has been asked already but which of the new audio formats is the PS3 capable of decoding internally and sending out via HDMI as a PCM signal?

Thanks

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Currently Dolby TrueHD. Sometime around mid-late summer, DTS-HD MA decoding should also arrive along with the 2.0 Profile update for BD-Live.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
A new update came out last night (2.17?), but so far, no one's quite sure of what it accomplishes. Rumor has it, it only deals with the stability of some software.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Thanks, I´ll download ASAP (like I always do).

Seems to be a very minor update this time:
PlayStation.Blog » Firmware Update (v2.17)

"Firmware Update (v2.17):
In case you were wondering what it’s all about (and a quick Google search indicates that yes, you are) the operating stability of some online PS3 titles has been improved."

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Then don´t complain in the forums if some games have some issues.. ;)

I´m sure that the bigger update is coming soon. Sony will deliver.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

No worries here, I'm not remotely good enough to play Madden online...I'd get crushed by an 8-year old kid. Quite sad actually. ;)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Here here. I mean I´ve played "Warhawk" and "Call Of Duty 4" now in online (haven´t really done that before, actually, online-gaming I mean) and some of these guys are so good that I don´t have a chance. It´s "hey, one guy goes there, I´m going to kil.. bang - I´m dead". ;) I´m just too slow.

But these games are great and look gorgeous. I have some hard time going back to Wii after full 1080p/720p glory.. But I love Wii also. ;)

Now back to topic..

ralphPerez

Stunt Coordinator
The only problem that have encountered is connecting a wireless internet connection to the PS3, have been trying off and on for a few day's to no avail.

What is the trick or method, have followed the manual and nothing.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Have you tried it w/out using security/encryption to make sure it can connect?

Lots of people have had problems w/ secured connectivity. If you seem to be able to connect fine w/out security/encryption, then that could be the problem. If you were using WEP and have trouble w/ that (but fine w/ unsecure), then try WPA instead. Another potentially common problem is you might have the router set up requiring MAC addresses -- and you might not have done that on the PS3.

In any case, I would recommend temporarily going unsecure. If that works, then get the latest software update for the PS3. After that, doublecheck that unsecure wireless still works fine w/ the PS3. After that, try secured setup again like I suggested.

For myself, I used to use WEP, but switched to WPA and manually set up everything on PS3, instead of letting it do auto setup. WPA is stronger security anyway. For the IP (for PS3), I just chose a high IP w/in the allowable range so anything else can still automatically connect w/ dynamic IP at the lower end.

Hope that helps...

_Man_

ralphPerez

Stunt Coordinator

Havent tried your suggestion yet but got this today from the PS3:

thanks for the information, say I am getting a little closer to connecting my internet connection, just got done using the scan method and wireless etc and after I inputted my WEP and the system tried to connect it stated.

A connection To the access point could not be established security settings for the wireless Lan. ( 8013031B ) , he, he by the time I get connected will probably be drawing Social Security, if there is any.

I guess have to reset my settings, but where and how and of course to what???

Thanks for your reply by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks