New to Avia Calibration

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Reid_J, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Reid_J

Reid_J Extra

I am hoping to get some feedback as to whether or not I am setting up my audio calibration correctly. I have a Denon 3802 running Energy Take 5.2's with the 8 inch sub. My room is 13x20 or so, and I have the sub in the front left corner, about 4 feet from the front speakers and tv.

Starting with the volume up so that the SPL reads 75db, I go through the set up menu in Avia with my trusty SPL meter in hand. I've made small adjustments to each of the channels (+1 to the right surround, -2 to the front right, others are zero). I have also gone through the setup on the receiver and set the distances for each of the speakers.

Here's the thing...in order to get the sub to be in pink noise balance with the rest of the speakers, I have to reduce the subwoofer volume (via the receiver) down to -10 to even come close (set at a crossover of 80mhz). I have all my speakers set to small.

I am definitely new at this, so any advise or suggestions would be most appreciated. Does this seem right? I have sampled parts of Gladiator and Monsters Inc, and they sound good. It just seems weird to me that the sub would need such big adjustment.

2. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Proper subwoofer calibration is the most difficult part of setting up an audio system. It sounds like you have it done correctly. If you want to bump the sub up a little (many people do prefer more bass) that should be fine. If you are happy with the sound now, leave it alone! I am of the opinion that settings like +2 or -10 are irrelevant. Its all about the sound.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The Radio Shack meters are notorious for being less accurate at the lower frequencies that the pink noise sub tones are at. You will find that most people set the sub between 78-80dB. I have mine set to 79dB.

4. Reid_J

Reid_J Extra

That makes more sense to have the sub measure around 80db. I had gone ahead and bumped it up to around there anyway because it seemed a bit lifeless when I was trying to match the other speakers exactly. Thanks for the advise.

5. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

That 200 Hz Sweep Test for the LFE is fun. At a couple of points my fireplace starts to vibrate real well.