New to 3-D-- Glasses question

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jon Bell, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Jon Bell

Jon Bell Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys- I've been off this forum for a while, and I've come back because I'm doing an across-the-board upgrade of my setup.

I've purchased a Panasonic ae-8000u 3d projector, and the seller added 2 pairs of Xpand 3d glasses to the bundle. I've been looking on Amazon at the 3d glasses, and they range from $20 to >$100 for active shutter glasses. There is very little in the product descriptions about what brands/ models they are compatible with.

I don't expect to use the 3d a lot, but when I do, I'm likely to have more than 2 viewers, so I'd like to get at least 3 more pairs.

Does anyone have any experience with the cheaper versions?

2. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Sadly, in the realm of active shutter 3D glasses, the maxim, " you get what you pay for" reigns. If glasses are in the $20-49 range, they are likely non-rechargeable, meaning a hefty investment in batteries over time. $50 and above are generally rechargeable, but pay close attention: the AE-8000U uses IR glasses, so you've got to make sure that whatever glasses you buy support IR, as RF glasses will not work. A Google search may assist; failing that, look into the Xpand model you already have. The X104 Youniversals appear to be compatible with the 8000U, but they run about $70 at Amazon.