What's new

New theater setup on the way! Have a couple questions... (1 Viewer)

browntrash

Grip
Real Name
Fazil Shaikh
Hello, I am very excited to have my media room installed on the 19th of Sept! I have selected the following pieces, and have a few questions also posted below. Feedback / assistance is greatly appreciated! 1. Epson 8350 projector and 106" screen 2. Pioneer Elite VSX-50 reciever 3. Klipsh RF-82 front towers 4. Klipsh matching center channel 5. Klipsh Gallery G-12 flat panel rears 6. Onkyo subwoofer (taken from my previous HTIB system) - going to give it a shot then upgrade later. 7. DirectTV HD/DVR box 8. PS3/Nintendo Wii/N64 9. PC 10. Antec/APC ups battery back up 11. surge protector I will be sure to post beginning, progress, and final pics! Questions: 1. I am needing to run an HDMI cable from my PC to the receiver. It should be about 25ft long. I keep hearing Monster and the higher end cables are worthless, but I have read a few things saying that if i am going to be sending 1080p signals between high quality components then i should invest in better cables (i.e. v1.4). I was considering this http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-700hd-Hi...UTF8&coliid=I1SIB2QJKPP82U&colid=GU3B2TP6LWLL thoughts??? 2. The front towers have a max wattage of 150 per speaker, while the receiver i selected has a max output of 90W per channel. This receiver is $600. I am considering an Onkyo TX-NR809, which is only $200 more than the pioneer, and has a max per channel of 135W. Should I purchase the Onkyo instead, or will the Pioneer do a pretty good job? 3. I don't know how i would be able to mount the UPS to the ceiling, so i was going to run the Projector power cable through the ceiling and into the attic, where it will plug into the UPS there. Asides from heat during the summer in the attic potentially degrading the batter in the UPS prematurely, is there anything else i should keep in mind? Here is a initial picture of the room, we are having it painted and replacing the shades and adding curtains this weekend. The screen will be going on the wall to the right: Thank you all!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1. Not worthless but overpriced. Monoprice.com is the best place for cables. I use a 35ft. HDMI cable to my projector. 2. Wattage is the most useless spec on any receiver. There is less than 2db of potential output between 90w and 150w. In reality with thermal compression, it's about 1db. 3. There is an "extension" you can add to your theater. The UPS stays in the room near the outlet and the output power goes back into the wall, up to the ceiling. I looked for the link the other day on Parts Express and did not find it. Don't put your UPS in the attic.
Onkyo subwoofer (taken from my previous HTIB system) - going to give it a shot then upgrade later.
That's like buying a Porsche and getting the cheapest tires from Wal-Mart to put on it. I bet the upgrade will be sooner than later.

browntrash

Grip
Real Name
Fazil Shaikh
Robert_J said:
1. Not worthless but overpriced. Monoprice.com is the best place for cables. I use a 35ft. HDMI cable to my projector. 2. Wattage is the most useless spec on any receiver. There is less than 2db of potential output between 90w and 150w. In reality with thermal compression, it's about 1db. 3. There is an "extension" you can add to your theater. The UPS stays in the room near the outlet and the output power goes back into the wall, up to the ceiling. I looked for the link the other day on Parts Express and did not find it. Don't put your UPS in the attic.
Onkyo subwoofer (taken from my previous HTIB system) - going to give it a shot then upgrade later.
That's like buying a Porsche and getting the cheapest tires from Wal-Mart to put on it. I bet the upgrade will be sooner than later.
1. I will check out monoprice. Thanks for the reference. 2. That's not much of a difference at all...I should be happy with the pioneer then. 3. So you saying to plug the UPS into the wall and leave it, say in the corner, then run an extension cord through the wall up to the plug socket in the ceiling for the projector? Haha...i like that analogy. Is there a good budget sub you would recommend for

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I slightly disagree with Robert (but just slightly ;) ) about the amp sections in receivers (and he may be right anyway) but of the dozen or so receivers I've had in the last couple of years there was definently a difference in strength between them, anything short of full throttle (which you should never do anyway). Pioneers, 'cept the SC series and the 112X VSX-32/33 and 52/53 are a little on the weaker side compared to Onkyo H/K and Marantz/Denon. They usually don't bench-test anywhere near their stated power output. The 1021 tested @ 46 wpc X 5 @ .1% thd. The comparable Onkyo 609 was 81 X 5. But Klipsch speakers are very effecient and it shouldn't be a problem. The bigger issue is the Elite series almost parallels the regular series so you might not be getting the best value with the 50 at $600. I haven't researched this years models (and I'm not going to) but last year the Elite VSX 30, 31 and 32 were almost identicle to the 920, 1020 and 1120 except for a few minor things. My guess is the 50 is very close to the 921. Pioneer also only allows a single x-over for all speaker groups so your towers will have to be set the same as you center and surrounds. That's actually the preffered way to do it but you'll have no choice in the matter. I also think Onkyo subs aren't any worse than any other $100 sub from Polk, Sony, etc. But they are a $100 sub so I'm also betting you'll be buying new tires sooner than you think. It just won't be able to keep up with those Klipsch speakers. But subs really aren't my thing (I wish they were :( ) so I'll let Robert recommend something (probably Epik, Lava, HSU, etc.).

browntrash

Grip
Real Name
Fazil Shaikh
Thanks for the info Gene. Getting back to the cables... for a pc to receiver hdmi connection do i need a high speed cable or standard is fine? i will be playing games on the projector and running movies. I have to go up the wall and the reviews for the high speed are saying it is somewhat difficult to work with: High 25' Alternative higher gauge, standard speed: Standard 25'

browntrash

Grip
Real Name
Fazil Shaikh
sub placement...which of the below should i do, or is there a better option? I believe option #1 will produce too much boom? I am asking now because if i want it in the back the installer will run the cable under the carpet...at which point i wont be able to move it around unless i buy a 2nd cable.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I believe option #1 will produce too much boom?
You will not know until get get the sub working and test it. Boomy is good because the response can be tamed with an equalizer. My DIY subs were horrible due to an inductance peak of 14db at 55hz. I added a Behringer Feedback Destroyer and now have a flat response down to 17hz.

browntrash

Grip
Real Name
Fazil Shaikh
Robert_J said:
I believe option #1 will produce too much boom?
You will not know until get get the sub working and test it. Boomy is good because the response can be tamed with an equalizer. My DIY subs were horrible due to an inductance peak of 14db at 55hz. I added a Behringer Feedback Destroyer and now have a flat response down to 17hz.
ok. i'll use #1 and have them run the wire under the carpet as planned. i have an extra sub cable so i can move it around thereafter to test. BTW i just ordered the high-speed cable along with the flexible wall plates. thanks again for the referral to monoprice!

browntrash

Grip
Real Name
Fazil Shaikh
Robert_J said:
looks like a nice sub! $338 is a good price range!
Contact them with your HTF user name and you will get a discount code.
wow. great price with the discount. Can i ask you how does this hook up to the receiver? on my existing sub there is one wire (i think its an rca type) that plugs directly into the receivers sub output jack. looks like the lave has other inputs on the back?

soadnathan

Auditioning
Real Name
Nathan
This thread isnt too old so I thought I would post my words of encouragement. First of all I think we are going to have an extremely similar setup. I will probably get the exact same projector if not one of their new ones coming out next month. The speakers and even the design of the room is nearly identical to where I plan on setting up my home theater. Please dont forget to post pictures of the finished product!! Also, what are you doing for the screen or are you just displaying it on a wall? Which receiver did you go with?

browntrash

Grip
Real Name
Fazil Shaikh
soadnathan said:
This thread isnt too old so I thought I would post my words of encouragement. First of all I think we are going to have an extremely similar setup. I will probably get the exact same projector if not one of their new ones coming out next month. The speakers and even the design of the room is nearly identical to where I plan on setting up my home theater. Please dont forget to post pictures of the finished product!! Also, what are you doing for the screen or are you just displaying it on a wall? Which receiver did you go with?
making progress...the painters came in today and gave the room a nice dark shade of brown...looks pretty good imo. i'll post progress pics soon, the hardware and wiring is being installed on Monday. Tomorrow (Sunday) i need to run an hdmi and cat 5 from the adjacent wall to the console wall so that i can hook up my pc to the receiver/media equipment. We have yet to buy couches. I was watching the video on the home page about cedia and the new Epson projectors and i was happy to here that they are going to continue to offer the 8350 in the 2012 model lineup. The spokesperson said the 8350 is the best selling 1080p projector on the market. I am have a screen mounted to the wall (106"). i forget what the gain is. As for the receiver i choose to go with the pioneer elite vsx-50...but if i did it over again i think i would have bought the Onkyo TX-NR809...in fact i still might get the Onkyo...these guys are loving it...and its on sale for $699 shipped on newegg AVSForum Onkyo 809 i will post pictures Monday evening after the equipment is installed...cant wait! :D

browntrash

Grip
Real Name
Fazil Shaikh
Robert_J said:
Well, got everything hooked up and i am very happy with the outcome. That said...my sub doesn't work?! it is hooked up properly but there is just not sound coming from it. I didn't think i would be upgrading so quickly! I was reading a thread on AVS regarding the Lava 12" and they said it does not perform well at low frequencies. I also read that the 10" would perform better than the 12" when placed in the corner of a room. I am very confused :confused: dont know what to do/get!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That said...my sub doesn't work?! it is hooked up properly but there is just not sound coming from it. I didn't think i would be upgrading so quickly!
Have you configured the receiver to turn on the sub output by setting speakers to small? What did you test with? What is your sub output level on the receiver? What are the input, phase and LPF settings on the sub? Just because you connected the wires correctly doesn't mean everything is correct.
I was reading a thread on AVS regarding the Lava 12" and they said it does not perform well at low frequencies.
You need to know who said that. It's like asking a NASCAR racer how a Corvette performs. It's all relative.
I also read that the 10" would perform better than the 12" when placed in the corner of a room.
Corner loading will increase the output of all subs. I have no idea why they say a 10" will play lower than a 12".

browntrash

Grip
Real Name
Fazil Shaikh
Robert_J said:
That said...my sub doesn't work?! it is hooked up properly but there is just not sound coming from it. I didn't think i would be upgrading so quickly!
Have you configured the receiver to turn on the sub output by setting speakers to small? What did you test with? What is your sub output level on the receiver? What are the input, phase and LPF settings on the sub? Just because you connected the wires correctly doesn't mean everything is correct.
I was reading a thread on AVS regarding the Lava 12" and they said it does not perform well at low frequencies.
You need to know who said that. It's like asking a NASCAR racer how a Corvette performs. It's all relative.
I also read that the 10" would perform better than the 12" when placed in the corner of a room.
Corner loading will increase the output of all subs. I have no idea why they say a 10" will play lower than a 12".
Thanks for the response Robert. I don't know the answer to your questions right now, but i will check and report back once i get home. I don't know that the reviews i read about the Lava are useful at all because most of the responses were people who were basically dissing any subwoofer less than $750 bucks, lol. If i cant figure out my sub tonight i will probably order the Lava. I was also looking at This Klipsh Sub...

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You can go with Klipsch but internet direct is the best value if you don't have tools to build your own.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks