What's new

New surround system, hdmi throughput question (1 Viewer)

What is the advantage of running my cable, PS3, and blu ray player through the reciever/amp via hdmi, instead of straight into my television, and then just running optical to the reciever/amplifier? Will there be a delay, or synch issue? Also if I run my PS3 through the reciever/amp will this create even more input lag?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The best connection approach is to run through the receiver.

99 times out of 100, when you run through the TV, the TV only outputs stereo through the optical. (Except for it's own tuner signal.) So you lose any surround sound.

Synchronization issues can occur with both techniques, but receivers often have adjustment capabilities. Most TV's do not.

Hmmm. Guess I need to do some research on my tv. How about the PS3 input lag question? I put my TV into game mode to avoid processes that would cause more input lag, so you can understand why I would be concerned about running it through a possibly unnecessary component. I really appreciate your help.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
However, no your TV does not pass 5.1 from incoming HDMI. But your AVR shouldn't introduce any lag(Why would it?).I play Wii connected component converted to HDMI with an Onkyo. Never have lag problems.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The AVR should have a "through" mode. Set it there for gaming. (some AVR have input specific settings...meaning whatever you connect the PS3 to...the other two HDMI settings have nothing to do with the one for the PS3)

What AVR is it?

If it does scale...that is what I'm saying to set "through".

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The included AVR with that system should not mess with gaming speed. Since it doesn't decode, you need the PS3 and BD player to decode and pass PCM. The "product blurb" doesn't say if it can handle LPCM.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yeah lossless. Have no idea if you can choose the lossless track on a BD. IF not, you'll have to choose the basic DD or DTS.

Depends if the AFD mode(essentially..."absence of doing anything" mode) can accept LPCM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks